1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Students- Would you Write Someone Else's Essay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thepandaboss, Aug 27, 2015.

1. thepandaboss

I'm a college student myself and as some of you on here know, I support myself with occasional freelance work.

Recently, a client I'd worked with in the past asked me to write a college essay for her. I declined but it did get me thinking.

If someone offered you a really good rate (let's say about $50/page) and you were struggling financially, would you write someone's essay/term paper/entrance letter for them?

(Keep in mind that you wouldn't be expelled or punished for writing the essay but the student you were writing it for could be if they were caught).

2. hullaballoo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Normally I don't think I would write it for them, but I would help them~
    But maybe if I was struggling financially I may....

3. whoagirls

Out Status:
    Some people
    Assuming that i'd be smart enough to write an essay for them, yes, I would whether or not I was struggling financially. They made their choice, if they don't get it from me they'll get it from someone else.

4. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I see no problem, but I would probably be too lazy to do it.

5. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know... Have some aggravating experiences with people trying to get me to do their work.

Possibly if I was financially struggling - but I won't lie for the person.

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only if they paid me generously - and even then I'd be reluctant. It isn't because of moral objections, because I couldn't care less if someone cheats, but because that's a whole lot of effort and I probably couldn't be bothered.

#6 imnotreallysure, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  7. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I can and have.

8. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

I think I would if I get paid well enough to put effort into it & only if it's an anonymous transaction just in case they get accused of cheating it wouldn't be traced back to me.

9. rudysteiner

It is almost completely against my morals to write a paper for someone else, though. If it were something I were almost an expert in, and I was offered the right money while struggling financially, I might think on it.

#9 rudysteiner, Aug 27, 2015
  10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I help friends edit their work, but I wouldn't write someone else's essay. If it's not cheating and your excuse is very justifiable, then you should be able to take that reason to the school itself and have it extended or cancelled or whatever. Otherwise, I'd feel rather ethically dirty.

11. RainOnVII

Honestly, I wouldn't be able to do it, even if I had just one meal a day. It goes against my morals (though I understand that some would be tempted, but it's just not me), and writing a paper for someone else would ultimately hurt their future grades. It's not like I could pop in and write an essay on their test for them (some tests have essay questions), or help them on their tests if questions were based on the paper's topic--usually there's a reason why essays are assigned. I'd feel guilty that I learned things, and they got a bad grade. It's also unfair to the students who wrote their own papers.

I'm all for editing and suggestions though :slight_smile:

12. Mags the Goron

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Under normal circumstances I don't do people's work for them because essays are tiring and I'm too lazy. I wouldn't write the essay, but I'd write bullet points and notes for them to basically copy, but I'd leave out information and make it vague enough so that they'do have to use their own brains and they'd need to write the essay in their own words. If they get caught, it's not my fault. I was only helping, not blatantly writing it for them.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Easily, but I tend to tell folks, I can make it sound like you, but if you can't back it up... that's all on you.

In 90% of the cases I've done this, the individual winds up going back and reading what I've written so, in a way, they do pick up some knowledge. The other 10%, well, they'll come back when they need somebody to write them out of life's situations.

=P

I also don't come terribly cheap, but if I like you, discounts are available.

#13 Kaiser, Aug 27, 2015
  14. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. Someone offered to pay me to do that before, but it isn't honest, period. No discussion.

15. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In Medical School we did not write essays. However we did a lot of paper work when it came to research, thesis and the likes. I won't outright write a whole paper work even if it was for a close friend. But being the "smart one", yes that was my image back then being a scholar. If someone does come to me for help I would either make a draft and let them expound on the topics covered by the draft, make them write the paper work itself and edit it albeit I can edit out upto 50-60% of what they wrote and replace it with my own (I was given free hand). If it was really bad I'd tell them to start over instead. It comes with my personality that if I can and if I have time then I am willing to help. I even went to school early before an exam so I can tutor those who didn't understand the topics covered.

#15 Blue787Bunny, Aug 27, 2015
  16. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would if it would not put me in trouble. I would make it clear with the person though that I am not responsible if they are caught. They would need to pay me a decent price too for me to consider it.

17. Hizaki

I wrote an easy half-essay-half-project for my Polish friend once. It was for English class, of course. It also wasn't for money and took me maybe an hour of not-very-focused work.

#17 Hizaki, Aug 27, 2015
  18. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This.

19. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure, why not? Writing one essay for someone isn't that big of a deal. Sure, it's cheating but what is writing one little essay going to matter in the big scheme of receiving an education? Beam me uppppp Scotty.

20. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I probably will, unless they give me some totally vague topic for me to interpret and start killing me for doing it wrongly. But they must pay me-I've done it before, for money, and I don't mind doing it again, so long you don't catch me at a bad time and I'm free.