1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wtf man, racism and education

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wannahavechange, Aug 28, 2015.

1. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello my favourite ladies, gents, and cat people.
    So just a quick rant... I was on my ig account. And I saw a photo of another user who was tooken by someone who I follow, telling me that this person is a cyber bully. On the picture were different cosplayers, and I saw a black sakura from naruto. So I said "Cool a another black cosplayer!" The person who I was following then said "Calling someone black is racist"

I responded back with "Sweety I'm black... or if you're a dude... sorry"

She or he .. they never post any pictures of themselves said it's ok "But calling someone white or black is racist"

I then responded "Calling someone white or black is their skin colour.. I've been called worst names on the color of my skin"

I'm excited though, I don't get to see that many black cosplayers.

I'd love to hear your guy's comments, concerns, maybe experiences of your own, when someone tried to call you out on something that they're not all that educated in.
    This person is really awesome, I just think she (I'm assuming this person is a she) is just really reserved and not use to talkinv about racial matters.. ido (!)(!)(!)

2. Phioo

Phioo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Weird BLACK Sakura.

3. FootballFan101

What what logic is that thats like saykng someone has blue eyes is rasict

4. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Wow, there was an article recently about this very thing here.

Some quotes:

I think the person reacting to your comment on IG probably assumed you weren't black (even though your comment did say "another" as in: "another one besides me"). Even so, yeah, I think that person doesn't have too much experience talking about race, or enough negative reinforcement that she would say something as strange as what she said.

It's always tricky pointing out the differences between people because it could be seen as either good or bad depending on the context. Like the article points out, it's gotten to the point that pointing out facts is seen as a negative because the default lesson is: differences shouldn't be noticed. Which is silly because in your case you were pointing out a similarity to yourself. She might not want to notice race but noticing race is something someone who's in a minority (in this case, cosplayers who are black) can never not notice.

[I used the word point way too many times in that last paragraph but I'm too tired to try to rewrite it. Forgive me.]