1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you first know that Transgender people existed?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SonicBoom, Aug 29, 2015.

?

When did you first know Transgendered people existed?

1. Between ages 1 - 5

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  2. Between ages 6 - 10

14 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. Between ages 11- 15

36 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Between ages 16- 20

16 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Older than 20

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. SonicBoom

2. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    16! I was put into a mental hospital, and was in there with a transgendered teen. Up until that point I believed that it was all drag ans confusion.

3. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I learned about the existence of transgender people in college; or at least, what the term "transgender" actually meant. I met and befriended a transwoman who was easily one of the nicest people on that campus. That's when I learned that there was nothing wrong with being trans, anyway, although I'd heard the term before, always used in a derogative way.

#3 ThatBorussenGuy, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  4. SonicBoom

I think that most children learn about gay men first and most people answered around 10 years old in my gay men thread.

I think that children learn about Transgendered people later than they learn about gay men.

I could be wrong. We shall see.

5. KayJay

I think I was around 14, I learned all about it from the internet.

6. BioBehemoth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Both of my aunts on my mothers side are lesbians so I knew about people being gay even before I knew how to talk.

But didn't learn about Transgender till I was over 20, and I actually only learned about it from being online. There was this girl pretending to be a boy, pretending to be a girl, and that circle of friends were all transgender. So I met a lot of people.

But alas, my childhood was hanging at my super butch aunts house with her girlfriend and drinking Squeeze-Its and barrel juices and playing candy land, so to me it was like, 'Oh, you're transgender? That's cool.' /shrug

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The first time that I remember hearing about transgender people was when I was in high school. I could have heard about them before and just forgotten though, since that it something that I commonly do.

8. SonicBoom

I grew up during the early eighties without Internet and TV was much more conservative back then with much more focus on " family values".

Now about children have to live under a rock to not have heard of Kaitlyn Jenner.

9. Lyana

I was in high school, probably 16. I found Lori Duron's blog (no idea how I stumbled across it though) and thought it was beautiful and amazing. Then I discovered Jazz Jennings. I did some more Googling and educated myself.

I am so glad I did, because a couple years later a long-time friend came out to me.

10. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to think, around the age of 7, that being gay just meant you like to crossdress.

11. Cedar

It was actually a friend that had considered themselves MTF(though recently they decided to just stick with being genderfluid) at the time. I must have been 19, before that, I never knew such a thing existed. It really helped me give perspective on myself.

12. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You might want to use transgender instead of transgendered as the latter is not gramatically correct.

Though, I don't know at what age exactly I learned about trans people (MtFs only), I remember when I distributed newspapers and they told me the lady I gave them to was trans. I didn't really care. She was a nice lady. I really wish I would have heard about transgender people sooner, though. I would have transitioned earlier.

13. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    15. Internet.

At first I thought trans people were just perverts. Unfortunately, I shared these thoughts with my family, and they agreed.

I was 17 when I decided that transsexualism is legit.

14. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I first knew of them in 2008 when Chaz Bono came out. I was 25. It was not until I came here and visited my center last year that I recognized you all properly. Growing up, I was taught to believe all trans* people were perverts and gay predators. I went to private school growing up and a moderate Christian college, so I wasn't presented the opportunity to know how they really are. I wish I had been.

In fact, I wish I had transgender friends because they truly understand suffering with dysphoria and overall marginalization. And although I am not trans*, I have had my share of suffering. Had I been a kid into today's world, I know I would be friends with them in school. I was always the outcast.

15. Jrmz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    At around 5 or 6, i think i saw an article on magazine about it(didnt really undersnad that much though)

16. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I didn't really understand what transgender is until I joined this forum. I knew about sex changes, but I just assumed they were gay people who wanted to be straight. I really did learn a lot about the LGBT community from this forum.

17. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found out when I was ten after Googling "how to know if you're gay"

18. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew what it was when I was like 10. But then I thought gay and tranny were ok words to use even though I knew I secretly wanted to be a girl.

Formally the word transgender didn't exist. It was maybe transsexual but I was aware of what it was.

19. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember an episode of "The Jeffersons" where George reconnects an old high school classmate, who has become a woman. I was maybe 8 or 9 (mid-70's). Around that same age, there was Klinger on M*A*S*H...less sure he counted as transgender, since it seemed he was mostly cross-dressing just to get thrown out of the army.

Then a couple years later there was a show called "Real People" that dealt with real-life stories of unusual people, lifestyles, careers, feats, whatever. I distinctly remember one episode that covered a husband and wife who were "switching places"...an MtF and a FtM. From what I remember, it was poorly and insensitively covered (especially looking back)...kind of a "how bizarre" story...with no real explanation of why someone would do such a thing.

It wasn't until I was studying psychology in college that I first encountered the word "transsexual", and had a word to attach to that kind of thing.

#19 biAnnika, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  20. FootballFan101

When i was around 10 or 11 lets say 11 i knew about sex changes but i thought they were because of how uncomfortable penises are