1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trendy to Be LGBTQ??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheClosetsTight, Aug 29, 2015.

1. TheClosetsTight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I figured out the other day that one of the (many) reasons why I haven't come out as bi/pan/still-figuring-things-out is because there are a shocking number of people who honestly believe that being LGBTQ is a "trend". Really, I've actually met several people who have said to me that this uprise in being openly LGBTQ is due to it's popularity. I think these people are under the impression that acceptance hasn't come from the years and years of marches, awareness, education, tragic stories, tears, work and general suffering that it took to get this far in society. No, it must be because it's the "cool" thing to do. :dry: It's sad because it instantly invalidates one's feeling when they do identify as LGBTQ. I dunno, what are your thoughts on this? Have you ever come across someone like this? Maybe I'm just meeting the wrong people lol

2. Posthuman666

Noooo. Not trendy. We are proud of who we are, but society fucks with us a lot.

Like you said, to call being LGBT+ trendy is to instantly invalidate us, and say we are nothing more than a fad.

3. SonicBoom

No, not trendy.

There is so much hate , drama and bullshit that comes with being LGBT.

4. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Those people who call being LGBTQ a "trend" are, in my opinion, just as wrongheaded as those who call it a "lifestyle choice".

It's not a trend. It's just that, at least in some parts of the world, it's starting to slowly become more socially acceptable to be open about it, so more people are coming out. At least that's what I think.

#4 ThatBorussenGuy, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  5. ScaryClosets

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This is why I feel that I am a "fake" Bisexual. I've always felt this way. When I tell people about my sexuality, they all say that they're part of the LGBT+ community too. Like it really is an "in" thing where I live. I'm very open about my sexuality, so that's why I really feel that I'm a fake. Sigh, this really made me feel horrible...

6. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're not the fake one. If those people all claim to be LGBT for no other reason than because they see it as a trend, they are the fake ones, not you. You are what you are, and don't let anyone else make you feel like an impostor.

#6 ThatBorussenGuy, Aug 29, 2015
  7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Give me your hate.
    #Transtrender

8. ScaryClosets

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I mean, it's just that everybody now is LGBT+ community. It's very open now and it's very hard to tell who is really what they say they are. I'm very very open about my sexuality, because I'm not afraid to tell anybody. If they ask, I tell them. And if they don't, I still tell them. What the hard part of it all is...sometimes I second guess myself. My sexuality is very fluid and I get very confused. I get confused because I am very open about it. My friends just say that they are "Bisexual" because it's the new thing or something. I never went through hard times with my sexuality or anything, but I have had so many confusing times when I was younger. So I always thought I was fake because I never had a hard time accepting myself. And most people say that they just "know" when they are Lesbian or something. I never knew. There's only one thing I know, I don't want to be straight/I don't feel straight. I know that there is some kind of attraction to girls.

(Oh my god, i just noticed that this was more of a confession. Sorry if I'm a thread killer. That was not my intention of posting on this. )

9. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    oh yeahh! it's SUPER trendy to be rejected by society, being killed and end up in jail in some countries

it's SUPER trendy to feel outcasted and suffer from bullying

although I feel like it is a little more accepted NOW than it was just 10 years ago when I was in junior high, so I kinda see where you are coming from

#9 edy, Aug 29, 2015
  10. Drednaught

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only reason it seems "popular" is because it's becoming increasingly accepted that it's okay to gay or lgbt and lots of closeted people are coming out as a result. It's just that people didn't know there were so many lgbt people that they think the surge of people coming out now is just a following "trend." It is annoying that people think that, but it will ultimately go away after awhile when people do not have to come out anymore. (although gender issues will probably take a little bit longer for trans* people to be considered as normal as cis people)

#10 Drednaught, Aug 29, 2015
  11. BioBehemoth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I had a conversation with my friend Adam about this. He said to me that it's becoming trendy and we discussed it. So now I better understand where people who say this are coming from (or at least him). To me it's not a trend. I grew up with it, it's my normality.

But for him, as a gay male (and a fabulous queen), when you don't agree with something someone from the LGBTQ+ community or their allies say (online from what I got from it) you're met with hostility. He said, "I used to get called faggot a lot when I didn't agree with other boys or liked something different. It feels the exact same when these people attack me on Facebook for having an opinion. No I don't think you should let your children make all their own choices. Give the child the choice between eating candy or eating a balanced meal and they're going to take the candy 9 times out of 10. But you say that stuff on a Macy's post and people lose their minds! I've never felt as threatened by a group of straight people as I have disagreeing with them about things that have been effecting me since birth! If I wasn't already gay I would have turned around a sucked a dick just to avoid getting yelled at any more. Which makes me wonder if people are being so 'accepting' for the same reason. I think that makes it a trend, don't you? It's disgusting behavior."

And so I get where he's coming from. And I think for people in the LGBTQ+ community it's hard for us to see it as anything but great. But I think it's completely possible that it has become trendy to be accepting or be apart of our lovely community. I hope it hasn't, but I'm not going to pretend that human beings don't do things they don't want to to be 'cool'. :icon_sad:

12. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it's trendy at all in the real world, but on places like Tumblr....sort of.

13. Acm

Acm Guest

I think people who say this just don't realise that more people are coming out since LGBT stuff is more socially acceptable now, so it might seem like there's suddenly tons of LGBT people, but really it's just that people feel more comfortable being out. That being said, there are some places (like Tumblr), where it is generally considered more cool to be LGBT...I'm not sure how much influence it really has though.

14. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's a trend for LGBTQ people to be accepted by society, that's a pretty good trend. But no, I don't think being LGBTQ itself is some sort of a trend, I just think more people are finding it more societally acceptable to experiment and find out who they really are.

15. dcfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    depends on where you are. i live in a pretty gay neighborhood in a big US city and, yeah, gay is a little trendy.

---------- Post added 30th Aug 2015 at 02:08 AM ----------

other places - no. and some places, it's the dark ages.

16. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's awesome that LGBT people are getting greater acceptance in society and that people have more freedom to come out as well as experiment with their sexualities.

In my school there are a lot of people (especially girls) who say that they are bisexual, possibly for attention or to seem "quirky". Of course, there's nothing wrong with being bisexual but when all the popular people are, it starts to seem a bit suspicious. I'm not really sure what to think of that.

17. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have heard glbt referred to as a fad. It's like being a certain race it's nothing people can do anything about so it's not a trend

18. candyjiru

One day after some particularly bad self-harm, I mustered up the courage to tell my parents that I wanted to go to a therapist because I was depressed (without showing them my scars)... they told me I just wanted to be depressed because it was trendy, so I'm 100 percent sure they would say the same thing if I came out to them, sigh.

I think it's another way for people to pretend LGBT people don't exist... Oh~ it's just a fad~ everyone's doing it but they'll grow out of it~~ *fingers in ears* lalalalalala

T.T

19. flitterpad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At my school this is partly true. Almost everyone is completely accepting of LGBTQ and it kind of seems like it is "cool" to be bisexual or a gay guy, at least in certain circles. I think in most places it is still harder to be LGBTQ. However, no one at my school thinks that anyone who says they're LGBTQ is doing it to be cool, it is assumed that they really are.

20. FootballFan101

Nooooooooooooo

---------- Post added 30th Aug 2015 at 12:49 PM ----------

Its faaaaaaaaar from trendy