1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What makes or breaks a relationship?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LogicNoSense, Aug 30, 2015.

1. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure if this is supposed to be under the Chit Chat or the other forums.

Basically, I'm wondering-what makes or breaks a relationship? Especially romantic ones. I've never been in a proper one, and I'm quite curious. As in, besides trust, communication, etc, what defines your relationship?

And another thing I've always wondered about: say, if LGBTQ+ are the minority, then relationships formed between the same sex, are they stronger then 2 sex couples? I've just been wondering about that, since I find finding a same-sex partner is harder, so I suppose the relationship is stronger.

2. Lyana

Aw, hell, and I came here just to say trust and communication. Don't knock trust! If lacking, it's very very good at breaking relationships. Now I need to find something else. Hm...

Love, obviously.
    Affection.
    Compatibility.
    Intimacy.
    Commitment. And I don't mean marriage or buying a house together or even having a kid. Just the everyday sort of commitment where you both do your best to make the relationship work.
    Respect. That's essential.
    Emotional support.
    Having your own life. Independence is a good thing.
    Willingness to face change together. Sometimes something unexpected comes up: a child, distance, loss of employment.
    Honesty.

As for your second question... Nah. I don't think one can generalize like that. I don't think the difficulty of finding a partner is linked in any way to the strength of the couple. If you stay with someone just because you're afraid you'll never find someone else, that's not a "strong" relationship.
    I pretty much "found" all my relationships accidentally, and I doubt that had any incidence on the strength of the relationship. LGBT+ people can have great relationships and shitty relationships just like everyone else. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. kyoujin

It depends on the person.

For me, physical attraction, similar interests, compatibility, are a must.

What breaks a relationship.. In my opinion, humans are not completely monogamous beings. Almost every strictly monogamous relationship will come to an end, and those that don't are usually wishing it would.

I am not interested in a lifelong committed relationship. I do not want children, so marriage and the like have absolutely no use or meaning to me. A lover to me, is someone I am both attracted to and feel a deep connection with.

That said, if my lover develops a particularly nasty habit, or becomes aggressive or abusive, that will break the relationship prematurely.

4. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be open and honest. Live in the moment, don't play eachother, make time for eachother(when you can)

There's that whole thing about a lot of couples saying to their spouses, why didn't you make time for me. And I'm just shaking my head. The rent and food, and bills aren't gonna pay themselves are they. So If I've to work then maybe another time.
    Also, with The whole "gimme your social media password" thing..
    Look, my opinion on it is if we're already friends on social media.. then I can already see everything on your wall in the first place. If the spouse is asking for their loved ones social media password, it just means that that person doesn't trust you or they're really insecure.. id have time for any of that..
    And that ladies,gents, and my cat peeps is,what not to do once in a relationship.. although I've never even in one I've seen enough go down hill because of them.
    But at the end of the day follow your heart and do what you think is right

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Friendship

If you aren't best friends with your partner, don't even try.

6. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What breaks it for me:
    "Honey, I think we should have an open relationship" or they just end up cheating.

7. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ha! Yes, I forgot to mention that one, beautifully said (!)(!)(!)

8. the haunted

One time this girl told me she didn't eat pizza and that was nearly a deal breaker for me.

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'll raise you 'spills the weed' for a deal breaker.

LOL.

10. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But isn't it hard? To find a lover in a best friend? I think the line between lovers and friends is too close, and I wouldn't really toe it. You may not be able to get back to your friendship. Unless you mean while dating, you also become best friends?

11. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trust and communication aside (darn, just as I was going to come in and yell "TRUST AND COMMUNICATION!!", too), here's a few things I think that make relationships:

Friendship. So much. Oh my gosh. I don't understand the separation of friendships vs relationships that you see a lot in media, and can't imagine being in a long-term relationship that wasn't built on the foundation of a close friendship.

Personally, I've always got into the friendships first and progressed into the relationship - I understand it's always a risk, but if it works out it works out so, so well. The reverse is totally a legitimate way of doing things too, though! All that matters is that the relationship and the friendship are both a thing. Without the friendship, where does a relationship go after the honeymoon period?

(Also, for what it's worth, all the friends I've got into relationships with in the past are people I've kept the original friendship with post-breakup. But then, all the breakups were amicable 'Welp, this isn't quite working out as a dating thing!' deals, I know it can be different if the breakups are messy.)

That aside, I can only go and second everything Lyana said! She put it better than I can, haha.

12. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A friendship makes a relationship, or a relationship can break a friendship, in my experience. Fragile things, in any case. As for the last comment, I believe same sex romance is stronger, because it means acceptance, an important factor in a relationship.

13. Acuba403

Trust, and communication. I know it sounds like a cliche but I find that it's true. when you'r in a relationship you need to be able to talk to them and confide in your partner without fear of judgement or it's going to go south really quick. Communication is needed because you should be able to talk about everything from small talk to you beliefs and sexual desires (if you go that far). they work hand in hand and with out either of those factors I find that relationships don't work

14. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

First of all, I must admit to myself that my relationship is imaginary, since it is a projection of what I think would make a decent significant other upon an inanimate object, yet I don't care, since Amy (my doll) makes me happy, and that's all that matters to me. What makes or breaks my relationship is whether or not what I do affects Amy in a (seemingly) positive or negative sense. If what I do makes her "happy", then I find it pleasing as well. If it does not make her "happy", then it is something I must not do, at least around her. For example: cuddling and soft music appeal to Amy, while disgusting bodily habits and neglect do not. I think of it to be some form of mental preparation for interactions with other people, as doing something that upsets someone can hurt one's relationship with them. I hope that this has been an informative read about my relationship.

15. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they don't like the Star Wars prequels they have no chance with me.

16. RemakeJake

If he does drugs, smokes weed, or drinks very often. If he wants an open relationship. If he doesn't take a lot of pride in his appearance. if he isn't out, or isn't willing to come out. Never playing that game again.