1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christians handing out anti-marriage leaflets in shopping centres.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RedSwiss, Aug 31, 2015.

1. RedSwiss

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was in town doing some shopping today, and I noticed there was loads of leaflets on the floor, but it wasn't until I noticed what one of them said that I decided to pick one up.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

What the actual hell is this. Why are people allowed to hand out stuff like this in a town centre? If it was a leaflet knocking women's rights, or black rights, said leaflet dropper would've been strung up by a tree, so why is it ok to print this junk?

The leaflet dropper was lucky they had already gone home by the time I was in town, because I would have given them a lecture about "real marriage" by marrying their head to the pavement.

Attached Files:

2. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Use them for toilet paper. It's about all they're good for.

But yeah, it makes no sense how they're allowed to do stuff like that, why LGBT people are somehow considered "acceptable targets". Oh, and how is same-sex marriage not "real marriage"? It's two consenting adults getting married, right? Sounds a lot like a real marriage to me. These bigots are full of crap.

#2 ThatBorussenGuy, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  3. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know much about the politics of England, but in the US, this would be legal under freedom of speech. For this reason, the Neo-nazis and the Ku Klux Klan are also allowed to campaign. Maybe England has a similar law. I believe in universal freedom of thought/opinion, but not always in freedom of speech for this reason.

4. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel sorry for them in a way - they are vastly outnumbered and must feel threatened. Same-sex marriage has majority support amongst all political parties and political leanings. Even the over 65s support same-sex marriage.

Let them speak - their words are empty and meaningless.

#4 imnotreallysure, Aug 31, 2015
  5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It's interesting that you go from 'black rights' to stringing up in trees. There's a very morbid sort of irony there. Not accusing you of anything, I just found it interesting.

That said...

There are leaflets knocking women's rights. A woman has limited control over her body, but you may know this struggle better as 'abortion'. And that's just one; you can find this anywhere, and not just in leaflets.

I understand your frustration, but the problem with individuals like this is, more often than not, the moment you come down to their level is the moment they 'win'.

Why?

Well, they struck a nerve. The logic here is (and this is really stupid, by the way, just a heads up): if you become riled, you've lost. Your conscience/pride/whatever has been challenged, and by resorting to, say, marrying a head to pavement, you reinforce that as being true. You cannot come back with anything, so you resort to a primitive response.

Also, and this is really stupid too, individuals like that want you to get riled up. When you come at them, they're defending themselves. You can talk harshly all day, but the moment one party hits another, it's over -- legally, your ass is getting in trouble, while the one who incited you is probably going to go back to what they were doing.

If you want to really make a mark, you have to play their game. If it's leaflets, produce your own. If it's signs, make your own. Basically, take whatever the offender is doing and you do it -- better. By robbing them of their platform, you destroy them...

... I think about this stuff too much.

#5 Kaiser, Aug 31, 2015
  6. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Eww. I could smell that weird, dank scent leaflets have, through my screen... somehow. You know the one- smells kind of like pee and farms.

It smelt of stupidity too. Just saiyan. :3

7. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see what's so bad about it really. It's just a leaflet persuading people to agree with this set of opinions. Sure, the opinions aren't factual or accepting of other people, but everyone should have the right to say what they think. If it's not this, they'll be doing much more violent stuff.

I would feel exactly the same if it was protesting the rights of women, black people, or any other group. Freedom of speech is important.

8. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yet excessively used as an excuse to the point its meaningless.

9. Foz

Foz Guest

4-5 times as many babies are aborted outside of wedlock? Well first I'd love to know where they got that from and secondly, that would be a baby created by a straight couple right? Well they could always put it up for adoption and a gay couple adopts him.

#straightpeoplemurderbabies :roflmao:

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The fact that so many leaflets had been discarded on the floor tells you what people think of the 'message'. Most people in this country don't buy into that sort of rubbish.

11. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think I mostly agree with reciprocal. After all we wouldn't likely have any LGBTQ+ rights without freedom of speech.
    That said it's still ok to complain about viewpoints you don't agree with. Ultimately pointless, in my eyes, unless you're gonna do something about it, but still ok.

What Patrick says is also true; Barely anyone read them anyway.

#11 Nekobi, Aug 31, 2015
  12. dt85

dt85 Guest

Foz, you can't use logic with people whose rational faculties have clearly flown out the window a long time ago.

Freedom of speech is important, but freedom of speech does not mean being free from the consequences of what you say. In this case I think pitying these folks for their stupidity is about as active of a reaction that is warranted. They do more harm to their own pitiful cause. No educated, thinking person is going to see such nonsense and change their mind.

#12 dt85, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2015
  13. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Based on their simple-minded logic, these same people should also be making pamphlets against single parents raising their child/ren, couples who are separated for whatever reasons, children being raised by their aunt or uncle, etc. The list goes on... But I don't see them caring about that!

After all, children do best with a mom and dad; not single parents.

Bulls***!

14. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Spoken like a true strategist, good job azula. Now the fire nation will reign supremeXD

15. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are there garbage cans at the shopping center? If so, I know a perfect place to put those leaflets.

16. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can somebody explain how allowing SSM would increase abortions? They say it's 4-5x more likely, but that's probably for unmarried straight people.....

17. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    #straightpeoplemurderbabies :roflmao:[/QUOTE]

Is it wrong that I laughed soooooo hard at this?

18. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not picking on you, would just like to use this as a springboard to my opinion :slight_smile:
    They aren't factual, which is a problem. They say something about children in LGBT+ families having "overwhelming evidence" of being mentally harmed, which is completely incorrect and not an opinion but a lie. They're blatantly lying to make a point, which unfortunately lots of people will likely quote despite there being no evidence, forming a vicious circle of misinformation that only harms us.

19. Riyuzaki

Riyuzaki Guest

In my country you can set up a stall on a street, market or a square and then jump in front of people giving them either anti-gay leaflets or a lecture about how lgbt+ people are messengers of the Devil himself if they refuse to take it.
    That's EU for you.

20. ThatFrostyGuy

I don't understand the point of this leaflet. Gay marriage has been legal in Britain since 2013, it's too late for them to stop David doing anything. (As if he has any power anyway)