1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of plastic surgery?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kyoujin, Aug 31, 2015.

1. kyoujin

I have seen some beautiful results from South Korean plastic surgery. They look like a completely different person! And a lot of them truly became much more beautiful.

I personally have no problem with it. I can understand the want for personal physical "perfection", and the strive for becoming what you find beautiful.

Vanilla is a girl from Japan who got many modifications to look like a French doll. I think she looks like more like a Barbie doll.. But when she said "I wish to be more than human" in one of her interviews, I related.

I wouldn't get surgery myself, but for those who want to, they should do as they please. It is no different from getting body modifications, in my opinion.

2. the haunted

I think people should modify their bodies to achieve a look that makes them feel most comfortable with themselves. And NOT feel ashamed about it.

#2 the haunted, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  3. wolf of fire

I honestly don't think too highly of it but then again there was a time when I wanted a needle shoved through the bridge of my nose so I could wear a metal bar though it so each to their own.

In some cases I think it is a good idea for example to cover up scars or abnormalities so extreme it would affect a person's quality of life.

4. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it makes people happy then I don't care

5. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, but only if it is truly their decision. Women shouldn't have to contend with modern standards of beauty, and I feel like most times plastic surgery only enforces these strict standards they are expected to hold themselves against unfairly.

6. Kellian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Noting I don't like sharp things near me. I wouldn't get it myself, but I'm fine with others getting it.

7. Gen

Gen

As someone with a socially acceptable build and who possess standard facial features, I don't feel that it is my place to speak on the justification of cosmetic surguries.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am mostly ok with it, unless a person becomes a "junkie."

I have seen people who have had 1 or 2 tasteful and often performed procedures done that improved their appearance, their self confidence, and possibly even boosted their success.

If we congratulate people on the results of orthodontia, why should we be upset or even concerned about plastic surgery? If someone's teeth are working fine and in good health, do they need to be perfectly aligned? Not really. But if a person wants them to look a certain way, it's their prerogative.

9. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can have a remarkable impact on an individual's quality of life, self esteem and general wellbeing, so to that extent I'm in favour. Sure, it can be taken to extremes, but I don't think the majority of people undergo plastic surgery or other sorts cosmetic procedure to radically reconstruct their bodies.

There are one or two things that I would consider myself if I had cash to spare.

10. Foz

Foz Guest

I wouldn't say no to a nip and tuck, or a lot of nipping and much tucking :lol:

11. FootballFan101

Ig could be really helpful for trans people face feminization and face masculisation

12. Hizaki

Why not?

13. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not my thing (although I wouldn't mind getting these useless boobs cut off) but I don't care if other people have it done. What they do with their body is not my business and it shouldn't be anyone else's except the person having it done. If it makes them happy, more power to them.

14. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    I used to find it completely fine and acceptable, and still do. But after getting augmentation done to try to feel.better about my body, and it not working that way and now disliking that part of my body more than I did prior and having to pay twice as much to have said augmentation removed and my body fixed. I think there should be some aort od waiting period or eval before obtaining the surgery. Ive met many like myself who tried to overcome a negative body image by surgicaly chaging it, and it usually doesn't do that.

But I say if you are happy in your skin and are just doing it to enhance your already awesome, self. More power to you, and i'm all for it. But I think there should be more of an age, or eval process because its not so easy to fix when you become body positive except for your surgical site.

#14 ebda30, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let me put it this way. If you are against plastic surgery and support Caitlyn Jenner, then your viewpoints would appear to be inconsistent. Supporting Caitlyn Jenner would imply that you are ok with plastic surgery. Jenner needed it to make her transition more credible. Some people have used it to augment their appearance within the ranks of their own gender. That's actually a commonality in the motivation.

16. Simple Thoughts

Plastic surgery comes in two forms to me.

The first is for medical reasons. An example being someone who was in a car wreck who takes some serious facial damage and has to have their face reconstructed. In that sense to me plastic surgery is a good thing which does a benefcial thing.

For this surgery being used for a strictly surface level purpose. I'm opposed to it, but think everyone has a right to choose that if they want. The whole point of cosmetic surgery is to "Fix" you. They tell you that you're ugly and gross and not liked by anyone, but if you let them cut you all up and rebuild you than you'll be pretty and worthy of someone else's respect. That's what they do, and that's what it's about.

I don't really support that. I think it does more damage to self-respect and esteem than anything else.

17. MrSkittles

If they are doing it to make them happy then yes, they should. But if they are doing it for others then I don't think they should. They should be happy with themselves and don't have to worry on how people think they look.

18. Psaurus918

I would never get anything done but don't care if others do, if I was dating someone and they wanted minor plastic surgery I'd be totally fine with it.

Although I've seen some really bad results and some people take it too far and look like fools.

19. xxCHAOTIC

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The topic makes me twitchy in general because it's caused a lot of health problems for my mother, who got a breast enhancement because she felt she "needed" to have large breasts to be considered pretty (because of society, not my dad, mind you). Long story short the surgery was botched and now the repeated infections have raised hell on her whole body.

It's like it's one thing if it's corrective. But if you're doing it because you think you need to look hotter for other people, spend that money on a therapist to work out your body positivity first.

20. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, obviously I support procedures such as reconstructive surgery and SRS.

If somebody wants cosmetic surgery, then that's their choice, and they (hopefully) live with the results. I'd be lying if I said I never thought about height increasing surgery, but my conclusion is that it's better to work with my short height. Otherwise, I can't imagine getting cosmetic surgery, but maybe I'll change my mind in 40 years!

Somehow, I'm reminded that I've read interesting articles about people that want to amputate their healthy legs or arms.