1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illustrating hypocracy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sldanlm, Sep 2, 2015.

1. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's a woman at work who constantly listens to a right wing talk radio station, and they were talking about the woman in Kentucky who is refusing to process marriages licenses. (for reference see link)

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/curre...ency-stay-request-anti-lgbt-county-clerk.html

She is an vocal and avid supporter of this woman. I normally ignore such ignorance but I just couldn't take it any longer. I know this woman is also a proud member of the NRA, so I asked her what she thought about that story on the news about a sheriff in a liberal county who is refusing to issue licenses. I told her the sheriff belongs to a pacifist religion or something, and said the guns the civilians would be carrying would be used to kill people. Although he doesn't have a problem with people defending themselves, the Bible clearly says Thou shall not kill. He doesn't care about the cops having guns, because cops have traditionally always carried guns in this country, and they don't need a license under the law anyway.

She was livid, saying stuff like "but that's not right!" and "It's the law", and that the NRA should take him to court. I said they did, and the court said he couldn't do that, but he said he was following Gods authority. She said that commandment about killing didn't apply to self defense, which the bible allows, according to her. She made the comment that he shouldn't be trying to impose his particular religious beliefs and his interpretation of the Bible onto other people. She also said that issuing the concealed carry licenses was part of his duties, and that if he had some religious objection to doing his job he should just quit. She wasn't real happy when she found out the story wasn't real. :lol:

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is the absolute epitome of hypocrisy 0_0
    Shame on her. Learn to think for yourself outside of what your talk show is feeding you.

3. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually she was thinking for herself. I forgot to mention that the talk shows hosts, although they are personally opposed to gay marriage, all said that the county clerk is wrong on this issue, and either needs to do her job or quit. The employee didn't agree with that, saying why should the clerk have to quit just because she is exercising her religious rights? My story to her illustrated that the coworker is a hypocrite, because she's only for supporting religious rights to discriminate when it's convenient for something she opposes.

#3 sldanlm, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, I see. I've actually heard of a few more conservative voices condemning her. It's nice to see they at least can sometimes understand the rationale of a situation.

5. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Self defence only allows killing if it is the only way to survive, even then, I hope I would not kill anyone.

Ezekiel 18:32 for the verse saying God does not like it even then.

6. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

To top it all about the lady in Kentucky refusing to issue marriage licenses: she's been married 4 times and has a questionable timeline of divorces, marriages, and having kids.

Kentucky Clerk Fighting Gay Marriage Has Wed Four Times - US News

Kentucky clerk who won't issue marriage licenses divorced three times - CNNPolitics.com

A-mazing.

#6 wisefolly, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2015
  7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Therein lies the problem. She's been "saved", and her faith, while still a work in progress, is leading her to this path. You can't really bring up old stuff because, unless this is all some act, she wants to get her life together for Christ... or so that's what the religious and conservative elements see and will tell you.

I may upset some folks here, but this needs to be said. Regardless of this woman's stance, she is showing more fortitude than a lot of people would, for or against this issue. It doesn't make what she's doing necessarily right, but if she truly believes this is the right thing to do, either folks will have to go elsewhere for their paperwork, or she will have to find another position.

One thing a lot of faith-followers tend to forget, especially the Christian faiths in America, is that God will handle it. After all, if he didn't want this to happen, he'd have set up events so it wouldn't... and if this is Satan behind it, again, an easy solution that goes neglected...

8. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

I hope she finds another position. The point of civil rights is that laws meant to be applied everywhere will be applied everywhere, equally. There was a judge in Louisiana who refused to give a marriage license to a biracial couple because he didn't agree with it, and he also gave the "you can get it somewhere else" line---he ended up resigning. The kind of ridiculousness this lady is showing is the kind we don't need in a governmental capacity---she's denying an entire county marriage licenses, even to straight people. Even though her beef is with the gays she's not issuing any marriage licenses which shows a weird mix of being equally unfair in applying her "law" while outright flouting the actual law and at the same invoking the law to protect herself. She's picking and choosing which laws to enforce and/or hide behind while denying others their right to have laws that apply to them be executed. Her religiously informed interpretation of state/federal law doesn't extend to what's actually in the bible: she doesn't ask whether the people getting married have ever been divorced, which is a no-no in the Good Book. If it's all a matter of interpretation then she needs to stand up for her beliefs a little more consistently, or at least come up with a list of points where she and the Bible see things differently and inform the entire county of how she's going to interpret the law and carry out her duties.

Waiting to see if there's a movement to bring back Trial by Ordeal to determine guilt and innocence.

9. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is very true. The original commandment in the Old testament was never "Thou shall not kill", it was "Thou shalt not murder" The people I know who carry a gun for protection don't go around hoping to shoot someone. If they have to however, God does not blame the shooter merely for defending their own life, or the life of another innocent person. You are not to shoot out of mere anger, or revenge, or take joy if they happen to die. Self defense is legal with a firearm in limited circumstances everywhere in the US, it's just that in some places you have to have a license to carry it outside the home.

The OP wasn't about guns though, it was that many far right wing conservatives who are opposed to LGBT rights also happen to be very pro gun, like my coworker. I was trying to use something which my coworker could personally relate to in order to illustrate her hypocrisy. For example, one thing I forgot to mention in the OP was that I told her that the sheriff said if people wanted gun licenses they could just go to another county. The co worker angrily said that people shouldn't have to go to another county to exercise their rights under the law just because of his personal religious beliefs. It's his job under the law, and if he has a religious objection to doing it he should just resign. Sound familiar?

---------- Post added 3rd Sep 2015 at 06:59 AM ----------

I heard a quote once but can't find the source.

"There's nothing more oppressive than a reformed sinner."

10. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She doesn't have any religious rights. She has freedom of religion. She should allow others to their own faith and not impose her own. If she wants religious rights she should move to an ISIS camp!

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well played! Hats off to you! :grin:

Also thank you for clarifying the "Thou shalt not kill" mis-translation in the Bible from the Hebrew, it does indeed say "Thou shalt not murder", nevertheless, killing has always been surrounded by a heap of limitations and specific conditions under which it could be allowed.