1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone been to Amsterdam?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rudysteiner, Sep 3, 2015.

1. rudysteiner

Hey everyone,

I'm booking a trip to Amsterdam soon and I'm planning on going from the 8th-11/12th January 2016 for my 18th birthday which is on the 7th. It will be just me and one friend going. We're planning on visiting the Van Gogh museum and the Anne Frank Haus, and after that we're just going to wing it I think and have a mooch around.

Has anyone been before? If you have, how did you like it and can you recommend anything for us to do?

I'm planning on going to Prague later in the year too, to visit a friend who's recently moved back there, so if anyone can recommend anything to do there then you're welcome to. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

2. Lyana

All I can say is that Amsterdam looks great when your plane is landing, and the airport is very nice and modern. It's definitely on my to-visit list.

However! I was in Prague just a couple weeks ago, and know someone who lives there. So I'm just going to go on and on about Prague instead, sorry. Main things to see:
    - Charles Bridge, the Town Square, and the astronomical clock (this just involves walking around the city center, so I'm sure you won't miss these)
    - Prague Castle. Depending on how long you're staying, you could spend the whole day there. It's huge. You have to pay to enter the buildings, but it's worth it.
    - Go to the Petřín Lookout Tower for a really, really, really great view of Prague. Please. (Plus, it looks like the Eiffel tower and is just plain fun.)
    - Vyšehrad (park + castle ruins + beer)
    - Josefov, the Jewish quarter
    - Wenceslas Square
    - Bars and pubs, if you like beer at all -- there's The PUB, where you can tap your own beer. And Vytopna (on Wenceslas Square) where little trains bring your drinks to your table. Yes, really. And about 3 million others. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went there two years ago, it is an amazing place and there was just so much to do! If you like zoos, you should definitely visit the Artis zoo!

Since you are planning on visiting the Anne Frank house, I would strongly recommend you get tickets online ahead of time, or you will be queuing for several hours. We didn't do that, and the queue was just too long, so I missed that opportunity. The Artis zoo queue is usually long too (takes up the entire block), but it moves really fast so don't let that discourage you. I think we queued for maybe 30 minutes before we got in, and the place is huge so it doesn't feel crowded at all despite all the people.

The river boats are free, so go take a ride on them too. :slight_smile:

I also have a piece of advice for you; watch out for bicyclists when you cross the roads! They move fast and expect you to yield to them, and there are probably more bicycles than cars. It took some getting used to! However, you could rent a bicycle yourself and enjoy that part of the culture too.

Explore! It is a beautiful city, and the people are very polite.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No but I would really like to go.

5. rudysteiner

Thanks! I've been to Prague before, but it was when I was 11 and I was only there for 3-4 days so I can't really remember much except the Charles Bridge and the astronomical clock. I loved it there. I'll be sure to visit the Jewish quarter too. I'll probably get my own guided tour anyway by my friend but it'd be nice to have a few things I want to see for sure. Did you go to the Franz Kafka museum while you were there? I don't know whether I went inside but I did see the statue of the two men urinating and my 11 year old self was like :roflmao:

Thanks! We were thinking of renting a pair of bikes actually, but we'll have to see about the weather when we get there. Last time I cycled in the snow/ice I broke my arm. :lol:

6. timo

I'm Dutch, so yeah, I've been there.

Go to the Vondelpark (although in winter it might not be too nice to be in a park), walk to the Rijksmuseum and the square behind it, or just stroll around the city center. The smaller streets are usually the nicest ones, with the most interesting shops.

7. Riyuzaki

Riyuzaki Guest

I was in Prague a month ago.
    Lyana said almost everything, but let me just add this brewery where they have this amazing black beer: it's called 'U fleku'.
    Also, there's this huge nightclub 'Karlovy lazny' full of foreigners which you will surely like if you go there.
    Never been to Amsterdam, though.
    Anyway, bon voyage!

8. Lyana

9. Riyuzaki

Riyuzaki Guest

Also, regarding my previous post, not far from the mentioned brewery is a gay bar, so if you visit the brewery you'll have no trouble finding it.

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I have, but I was only making a connection at Schiphol Airport, so I didn't really get to see the sights.

#10 AwesomGaytheist, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  11. penta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i lived near amsterdam for about three years and i just love the city.
    Except from the standard touristic things like the museums and such the center is just lovely and very gay friendly.
    At the westermarkt there is a monument for all gay/lesbian people who have died or are not able to be them selfs, i like the place very much.
    There is also a litle store next to it which is an information point especially for gay/lesbian people.
    And in Amsterdam is a bar called "the lellebel" which is a lgbt+ bar which is very nice.
    further just take your time to go shopping, there are a lot of nice boutiques and stores..
    O and just a reminder (i always tell foreigners ) coffee-shops in Amsterdam do sometimes sell coffee but most of them sell something totally different :wink:

#11 penta, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  12. rudysteiner

I never knew about the monument in Amsterdam, and my Mum goes a few times a year so I'm surprised she's never mentioned it. I do actually want to go to a gay bar while I'm in Amsterdam but I can't really ask her if she knows of any gay bars there and she's my primary source of all things Dutch.

I'll be sure to have some actual coffee while I'm there, but I will be visiting a coffee shop or two while I'm there. Is there really cats in the pubs in Holland, or Amsterdam at least? I've heard there is and I love cats but we can't have one because of our big lug of a dog. :tantrum:

---------- Post added 4th Sep 2015 at 05:19 PM ----------

I'll be sure to visit here if my friend can put up with more than one English person at a time still. She moved back to Prague because she was sick of us. :lol: I'll visit the brewery too.