1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You may not be gay but.. (here goes) i like you

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by drewf91, Sep 3, 2015.

1. drewf91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey guys, so i'll try to make this right to the point although i have a problem with articulation, in which i always say more than i meant. This is NOT a straight crush. I've had many problems with crushing on straight guys that kind of evolved in my childhood/high school years; from guy i barely see, to guy in class, to friend of a friend, to best friend (its kind of funny to view now)...
    (brief as possible)
    Anyway I play ice-hockey. League, and open. So i've been going to a place for about 6 months now, seen a guy (same age, 22) once maybe twice since going there. He's a decent player, around my skill level but slightly above. a couple weeks ago, he was there, and we stayed after, and we shot the puck for a half hour w.e. Next week, during warmups, i run abck into locker room, hes there getting dressed, he right away says whats your name, talks a couple minutes. We do same thing afterword, only two for half hour shooting pucks, now we talk getting changed after. We talk about jobs, life, and stuff, he asks if im coming next time it sthere, (now i got curious about his motives, and began to find attractive), next time blah blah point is oiver the course of 3 open games, he began asking questions, making seirous eye contact, and both times in parking lot engaiging in prolonged convos... whatever the point of (i think he likes me! so let me convince you to convince me) is not why im making a post.
    At this point in my life with severe depression, pretty much under control, i can't play this crush on a striaght guy thing. This is the first time i've ever had this new feeling and i interperate it as mutual attaction, and i've wondered about many crushes (does he like me? i think he does!) but i have been talking and the one time he says woah thats a big bird comes up next to me and looks over into my eyes, anyway for the first time its like i built an attraction only after this began...

My point of the whole post is. Whats everyones experience coming out about feelings to a guy. Now, obviously a sports enviroment can be harder than others, but im at a point in my life where i really need a relationship, im ready for one, and i can't play the normal does he does he not games. This guy is going out of his way to talk to me, and I began to catch feelings after feeling something coming from his way, im not encouraging him i dont think, (sorry for the excessive rambling). Point being

What's everyone's experience with... "Listen I am gay, is there something?" or something along those lines.

2. jonjon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have any experience. I mean, I haven't been in that situation quite yet, *sigh*, but my first thought is that it sounds like he digs you. There are some nice indications of interest me thinks. But umm...you already new that. Maybe there's no harm in taking it slow at first. As in just hang out a few times. Grab a few beers. See what the conversations reveal. Maybe it'll just happen naturally. Of course if :***: takes too long follow your gut! Tell him, "Yo man, I like the cut of your Jib. I'll show you mine if you show me yours." Haha, maybe don't heed my advice too much. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

With all that said, I want to know how things turn out. :slight_smile: Good luck to ya.

#2 jonjon, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  3. drewf91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
  4. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honestly, I find this really hard to read. If the guy has not given any other indication that he is gay, then I would assume he is a friendly straight guy who wants extra hockey practice.

I've encountered similar situations in playing ping pong with some folks at work. I've played til like 9 PM some nights with guys that I personally find attractive. We've never talked about attractions/partners, so I still don't know where they stand. However, with some other guys, I have found out weeks after that they're either in a relationship or straight.

My advice would be to tread carefully and see if you can bring up conversation that might guide you in the direction of understanding their orientation. For example:
    • Any plans for the weekend? (an opportunity for them to mention gf/dating)
    • How does he interact with other guys when you see him? Anything look gay?
    • You might ask if anyone else in his family plays hockey. (chance to mention his relationship with them, if he's out, etc)
    • If you guys ever talk politics, why not bring up Kim Davis (recent news) or the gay marriage legalization topic. (the stance on this might at least tell you how accepting he is. it might also signal that he understands you are pro-gay people)

I've tried these routes a few times to better understand where people fall. However, I'm still terrible at this, so there are certainly some people whose orientation I am not sure about yet. From what I've read/been told, the only true way to figure this out is to ask them directly. Otherwise, there can be a lot of false assumptions/feelings/interpretations.

Good luck and I'm interested to learn what you find out!

(*hug*)