1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Bi or Lesbian is now 'trendy' and 'cool' among teen girls?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by grungeteen, Sep 4, 2015.

1. grungeteen

I've found that with teens nowadays, being bi or just calling yourself bisexual is the new and popular thing to do. It's like every teen girl is bi because it's cool to say that and you get a lot of attention for being different or alternative. The same goes with calling yourself gay or lesbian, ever seen the show Faking It? Also, there are those really annoying girls who suddenly decide they're lesbian because of a bad experience with a boy and they 'hate' boys now so they're choosing to be a lesbian but then, a week later, they're suddenly straight and out with another guy.

This is so unfair to those teens who are really bi or lesbian.

2. Sky82

I hooked up with a lass who claimed to be lesbian, when things got heated behind closed doors she soon changed her tune. We sat and chatted about it and she finally admitted it was to make herself look good in frount of her friends.

3. Riyuzaki

Riyuzaki Guest

Wow. That was lame.
    Some of my female acquaintances kiss other girls etc. just to look cool, but I doubt they would lie and say they were bi.

4. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that's just as bad as those girls (it usually seems to be pre-teen/teenage girls) who claim to have a mental disorder just to seem "edgy" or "unique". There's nothing edgy or unique about it and it's an insult to those who actually have said disorders.

Likewise, if these girls knew what the LGBT community actually goes through, I don't think they'd be so quick to pretend to be something they're not. They do it for attention and that's just dumb.

#4 ThatBorussenGuy, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  5. xxCHAOTIC

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Don't even get me started.

6. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't have to. I know firsthand. I've seen what mental disorders can do to someone's life, and I want to bitchslap anyone who pretends to have any kind of disorder because of it.

#6 ThatBorussenGuy, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  7. rudysteiner

I know of one or two girls that do this.

With regards to Faking It, though, it did help Amy realise she was a lesbian. I saw something a few months back as well just after the season ended which said that they may be bringing Karma back as bisexual.

8. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I study in an all girls school (have been for almost 10 years) so to a certain extent, yes. But it's a religious school, so everything's very low-key. But, there's a girl in my school-she's my classmate and exceedingly popular. I'll call her Mary. She's bi/les. Pretty much the entire school knows her...there are girls who are what I call Mary-sexual. In the sense that they think their bi/les, but only for Mary, not generally.

We don't have many...situations, that get 'heated', if you know what I mean. Dating is also very low key. But most of us are very touchy-feely, even to the points of being perverts, so tons of people mistake us as being les/bi. My bestie and I are often mistaken to be dating, even within our class.

So not everyone is 'LGBT' to look cool. Some yes, but mostly here, no.

9. thewolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    This is what makes me wary of considering that I could be "bi"... No one wants to be a "fake bi girl" and know it.

(These girls are the opposite of what they're trying to be, they're basically sheep imo.)

10. CyanChachki

Now a days? It used to be a trend back when I first came out. I used to know someone who once identified as bisexual but no longer did. I've even witnessed people who identified as lesbian or gay, only to admit later on that they weren't. It's both confusing and slightly offensive, especially when they say they have feelings for you.

11. Lipstick Leuger

Honestly, teens try on many hats to find out who they actually are. They go through types of clothing, different hairstyles, music etc. Why would they not try on the Bi or Gay label? Of course you may have a few that do it to look cool' or to act out against their parents, but these are actually farther between than you think.

When I was young, you didn't have that idea of being able to be Bi or Gay so everyone identified as Straight by default. Now, they have the opportunity to identify as something else to try out so why would they not?

12. jayne xoxo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think sexuality is such a fluid thing; it's not back and white. While unfortunately there are some people that are doing it to be trendy or gain attention from their male counterparts (gag!) I think the majority of young girls are simply exploring their sexuality. Thankfully we live in a time that it is socially acceptable for them to do so. They feel safe enough to openly explore their inner desires publicly, and that is an amazing accomplishment for society.

13. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

Bet some of the pretend "lesbian/bisexual" girls decided to call themselves like that because of Ruby Rose.

14. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

This really does piss me off.. And it IS like when people pretend to have mental problems to look cool! It's extremely disrespectful! And I have anxiety for real so it pisses me off greatly.

And the women pretending to like other women get to me too. As if stereotypes of what a lesbian should look like weren't enough.. These women reinforce the belief that feminine women aren't really lesbians! Because they want the attention not the girl. I call this fuckedup! I'm feminine and NOONE assumes I like women. It's sad.. Just because I'm feminine and ''pretty'' it doesn't mean I want a dick.

15. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Not sure why but I know there's always been a stigma that gay people are somehow "cool" in more liberal and tolerant areas. One of my friends said "all the good guys are gay :frowning2:" and they all seem to want a gay best friend. I think part of it might people saying that they're bisexual but I feel like this is just a stigma that's always existed - bisexuals are liers.

I think part of the reason why you might notice a trend is social acceptability of the LGBT community. Even though I live in the most liberal state in the country, I have noticed a lot of my friends identify as either gay, bi, or pansexual. I also am not friends with fakey people so I suspect they are telling the truth. On top of that, a lot of my friends that were suspected of being gay (myself included) ended up in fact being gay or bi.

16. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand the frustration with this supposed "trend". That said, I'd much rather support someone in a fake struggle than claim they are faking it when their struggles are real.

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Others have covered most of anything I could, but I wanted to bring attention to this.

In a bizarre kind of way, this shows progress in regards to non-heterosexuality. If individuals do believe it is an acceptable, or better, way to be.

Of course, it's a one step forward, two steps back situation. But it's still interesting to notice... well, for women, it's a bit different when it comes to men.

18. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've noticed that too. It's because bisexual women are fetished by straight men. Not saying all, but a fair amount of "bisexual" girls only call themselves so because it gets men's attention in my opinion. I'm not trying to offend anyone who's actually bisexual, all I'm saying is that there are a fair amount of fake bisexuals.

19. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see this at my school a lot, and I think it makes a mockery of the people who actually are bisexual or lesbian. It's now going as far as people saying they are transgender and insisting on all sorts of crazy pronouns (starself? Seriously?) then a fortnight later saying they aren't transgender at all. It's now quite hard to legitimately come out in our school as everyone says you're just being trendy and you'll regret it in a week.

20. unsureofmyself

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Are there any stereotypes or obvious traits of a fake bisexual if they don't actually say so?