1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay men: Do you enjoy working out at the gym?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Sep 4, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I regularly go to the rec center at my college campus and I love working out/lifting weights there. It's a fairly large gym and I'd say there's roughly 200 people who's inside the gym every time I'm there.

I look around, and I can't spot any of the gay guys. There's plenty of guys who bring their girlfriends to workout with and there's others who will check out the females there, which is a dead giveaway that they're not gay. I'd probably be considered a "straight-acting" gay guy, because none of the guys who I talk to there have any clue that I'm gay. It just bothers me that I can't find any other gay guys who also enjoy lifting weights and working out. I mean...statistically if there's like 200 people (I'm breaking it down to like 150 men vs 50 women), shouldn't there also be some gay guys there?

Does anybody here on EC go to the gym?

I noticed that in the title I only said gay men, but anybody on this site is welcome to respond :slight_smile:

#1 SubZero, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  2. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I lift weights for high school XC and track. I intend to continue lifting and running after I graduate. I like feeling strong. Sorry that I'm not a gay guy.

3. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's awesome! And yeah, I didn't mean for the title to say gay men only. My apologizes.

4. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I love the gym! I used to work out for at least 3 hours. Running then lifting. My experience varies greatly from yours because I've seen men I'm confident are gay or guys that work out together and have a certain vibe with each other.

5. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's cool! I wish my gym had more gay dudes in them like your gym (who knows, maybe there are but I'm bad at picking them out of the crowd LOL).

6. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    There comes a point where I may stare and the guy may glance and hold his gaze a bit longer. That's when I can tell. It's mostly intuition but I'm sure there's at least one otger gay/bi dude besides you in your gym.
    Apps are very helpful too

7. xxCHAOTIC

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm trying to make myself like it a little more. When I'm there I really enjoy working out (I love cardio, the strength machines may as well be in Greek to me). But when I'm trying to motivate myself to go in the first place I still have to kinda drag myself.

8. Justinian20

I enjoy some working out but I would go to the gym just to stare at hot sweaty men lifting them weights. So no working out for me, just take me to a gym to stare at cute and hot shirtless men.

9. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    I went to the gym with my female bestfriend and we were mistaken as a couple. I pretty much believed that I was obviously gay from the way I moved and spoke but apparently, I can pass off as straight too. lol

I like going to the gym for as long as I have someone I know with me. I get bored easily when I'm alone. Although I can get by going all by myself for a while, I tend to get isolated very quickly. I'm not very friendly and it's hard for me to open up to new people.

Other than that, it's nice going to the gym. I don't notice other gay people though.

10. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not as into it as I was when I was younger. I used to go 6 days a week for 2-3 hours each day. Totally obsessive. Back then and today both gyms I have been involved with as an adult are about half gay guys. I mean it's sort of a stereotype--one of my straight coworkers referred to the gym as "gay church" in a conversation today. And, well, I have to say in my experience it's totally true.

11. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I don't, I normally go during early morning hours when there is hardly anyone there. There are a few guys I've had "connections" with that go to the same gym. But otherwise, I hate it when people are looking at me when they work out. And vice versa

12. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So far, I only really go to the gym for cardio, i.e. hills and running via treadmill. It's a great way to clear my head and even being introverted, I'm ok with this because I can focus on the TV above the treadmill and music that closes off all sound around me. I do occasionally check a few guys out, but I doubt anyone would even consider me as being gay. I do see a lot of guys with either a girlfriend or working out together. I have only seen two guys there that were gay for certain, one of them I knew and the other one said something in the lockerroom to the effect of "I'd never date a guy who didn't go to the gym for less than 20 hours a week". Otherwise, there are definitely a lot of cute guys, but I've never talked to them.

13. AKTodd

I started martial arts in college and then switched to weightlifting because I enjoyed it more. I actually took a class to get started since I figured why not get college credit while working out. I went to the old college gym and later to the brand new rec center that had just been built and was only a block from my house. After college I had a gym membership for a while, but eventually switched to working out at home for reasons of time and money. Have been doing that ever since.

I enjoy working out and like to start my day that way. I hate it when insomnia or other factors make me so tired that I can't.

Todd

14. lemons123

Will try to answer as a non-entirely-gay man:

Yeah, I do a lot. Almost on daily basis given a chance.
    Back in the days I was also combinging with boxing/martial arts. These days I'm either maintaining/cutting and planning to start Krav Maga at some point...but just plans that for now :slight_smile:.

15. rudysteiner

I enjoy working out at the gym. I had a break from it for the summer and got back into it yesterday and my legs are passably deceased. I normally go for about 40-60 minutes at around 09:00 to 13:00, but I'm starting school again on Monday so will have to start going at 07:00 to 08:00 to start my lessons at 09:00.
    I don't lift weights as of yet, I started going to the gym in February and have stuck to cardio and strength machines, but I'm going to have to get over my fear of the weight room before I start lifting.

I'm about 60% sure that one of the PTs in my gym is gay, just by his mannerisms, clients he takes on, his voice etc. but I might be reading him wrong. I can spot a gay guy out in the gym fairly easily, but I think it'd be harder for them to spot me out. There's only ever been one hot gay guy that I've seen which is a shame, but some of the straight guys, and even girls are:

[​IMG]

16. guitar

I love working out & really miss not exercising if I go more than a few days without something intensely physical. Not really a fan of gyms though. Even though I look decent, I'm far too self-conscious. I'd rather be able to crank my own music and do my own thing.

17. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I absolutely hate going to the gym so that's why I have my own equipment at home. I love a good workout!

18. C P

C P

No, because I don't see a point.

If someone is wanting to keep healthy, that's one thing(even though there are other ways to go about it), but I'd bet that a good majority of guys/people do it just to keep up an image.

I can't tell you how many guys I run across where you can just tell that, while they may look nice(at least the slightly toned ones; six-packs and the like look way too...forced and artificial) or are simply built, they wouldn't know how to use the build/muscle if their lives depended on it.

It's a shame that a lot of these guys/people are typically made to feel like they need to do this.

19. Riyuzaki

Riyuzaki Guest

Hey, any advice for someone who's never been into gyms, but might consider starting to work out in one? :slight_smile:

20. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I enjoy it usually. There are days where I tell myself I'm too tired, but I go just to do at least a little to be active. I go for 1 and 1/2 hours three times a week. I do a combination of cardio and strength training.

And YES I do check other guys out. Sometimes I have to catch myself and be like "whoa you have been glancing too much at this person, calm down".

Recently, I caught this guy glancing at me... and then again. Now it may just be my imagination but he may of been checking me out??? (low self esteem, self conscious, me finds this hard to believe)

Hey! Just go and see if you can get a free trial run or something. When I first went, I had no idea what I was doing and I was very self aware. But someone told me that everyone there has had their first day at the gym and everyone has gone through it.

I then did this trial run personal trainer thing (wasn't too expensive, but there was no big commitment) and it helped me become familiar with the gym equipment and safety and where to start depending on what I wanted to focus on.

Good luck!