1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of people who wear shirts with country flag4 etc?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lemons123, Sep 5, 2015.

1. lemons123

Basically the question is:

If someone is wearing a shirt with some flag on it (say: the American flag) for example, especially in a foreign country: would you consider this some sort of provocation or just fashion?
    I was out earlier today and since I live in a small country in eastern europe in one hour saw one guy wearing a shirt with the American flag on it and another guy wearing shirt with Putin on it. The one with the Putin shirt was not russian (I think) since I heard him talking fluently in my language without accent.

I've also planned wearing similar shirts but don't want to be understood as I'm looking for confrontation...

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2015 at 10:00 AM ----------

Sorry...can't edit the title, it was supposed to be "country flags" and not "flag4" but my cat hit the submit button...like seriously :slight_smile:.

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2015 at 10:07 AM ----------

Say something like this, especially wearing it if you're not in America (or not russia for the second case):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 lemons123, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  2. Psaurus918

I think it's kind of weird. I'd never wear a shirt with a flag on it for any reason

3. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Eh. It's a bit "stereotypically tourist-y", to be honest. It just screams "LOOK AT ME, I'M AN AMERICAN". Kind of tacky. (Not that's there's anything wrong with being American, obviously)

4. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    From a purely artistic standpoint, sometimes I think it looks cool.

However, I assume the majority of the people who wear something like that are not doing it for art, but to send a message. Usually something to the effect of "American pride and everyone else is inferior", which is gross. You don't really hear about people who are just patriotic these days, they're usually anti-others at the same time.

5. Lyana

I wear shirts with the flag on them. Similar to this or this. You know, sparkly with fun colors and usually the wrong number of stars/stripes.
    Part of it is kind of sentimental for me. When I lived in the US, I had a sparkly t-shirt with the flag and the Pledge of Allegiance printed across it. And shorts with the flag on the back pockets. (I swear they looked good, okay?) But I'll be honest, it's mostly a fashion choice at this point. The shirts look cool, and they're easy to find.

I'm fairly sure it's against the Flag Code, less sure if it actually bothers people.

I wouldn't think twice about the American flag -- shirts like that are fairly common here --, but Putin would make me look twice. Mostly because, yeah, Putin. But I'm not in Eastern Europe, where it might be even more controversial.

6. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think it's mostly a fashion thing when it comes to the American flag.

But, I do sometimes wear a T-shirt with the Norwegian flag on it, because I find it extremely comfortable, and because I'm proud have grown up there.

I couldn't imagine wearing a Putin-shirt, though. I'd be too afraid to offend someone. I try not to wear clothes that make it look like I'm taking a political stand.

7. lemons123

Yeah I agree, Putin is one Russian and not "the whole of Russia". You can say I was comparing apples to oranges here. Not to mention how controversial Putin is...it's like saying wearing a shirt of Ted Bundy (serial killer from America) is the same as wearing the US flag.

Also: I kinda think it MAYBE depends on the country. Norway is known for being rich, fish :slight_smile:, fjords, and things like that while US/Russia are top military powers so it's like you're sending a message. But wearing shirt of say Japan, Norway or Ireland could simply mean you like their music, food, culture basically...I think...

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2015 at 11:54 AM ----------

I have some shorts with the German flag...lol but I am not wearing them anymore, they were a gift, I am not that "germanized". I also used to have a Che Guevara shirt...

One thing I was considering was to wear the Israeli flag (I am non-jewish btw.). I don't think there's anything wrong with that - the only wrong you could argue will be my safety but I'd risk it 0_0. I genuinely believe wearing the Jewish flag outside Israel will get some negative reactions. I even watched such video on youtube about guy waving the ISIS flag in some American university and people didn't care/wish him luck and then afterwards he waved the Israeli flag and basically lots of whi*ers came to him and started insulting Israel: it looked unreal and quite dumb. I've visited Israel and yeah I could see myself wearing such shirt there or the Jewish sign (Solomon star right?), maybe I could offend some Palestinians who knows...but as long as I am on Israeli ground I don't think it should be politically incorrect/offensive.

8. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    lol I live in the Netherlands and you see plenty of Dutch people wearing clothes with the American flag on them. It's not sending a message. It's not 'American pride'. Many Dutch people don't even like America. The American flag just looks cool.

9. AlamoCity

I find it weird when people wear flags (other than small passive designs that just happen to be the logo of the designer, if there's any designer whose logo happens to be a national flag) other than their own country's or their country of origin or have a significant tie to the country.

As for wearing flag themed clothes, I don't like over-the-top designs but I did just buy this bow tie that can appear like a stylized American flag lol

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Gingham-and-Ants-Reversible-Bow-Tie/MA01930,default,pd.html

#9 AlamoCity, Sep 5, 2015
  10. Ryu

Ryu

Only reason I'd ever wear something with a flag on would be if it's part of a company's design (take wenger or karrimor). It just strikes me as a a little odd...

11. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really care about either one. If I go somewhere foreign, then I'll wear an American t, I'll also wear a flag with the European flag on it.. shirts are shirts.
    But pants are a different story. I dislike it when people get writing on the back of their pants and try and act sexy when flirting.. and im little "I didn't go to school to read your ass!" XD

12. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

It's fine? I dunno why you'd wear one in a foreign country though, it's like you're asking to get mugged...

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The American flag flip-flops are the worst. Not only are they tacky, but you're literally stepping on the flag, yet this escapes most redneck Wal-Mart shoppers...

As for a t-shirt, I think the American flag is kind of ugly-looking. There are exceptions, like Lyana posted, but for the most part I avoid wearing it.

14. Formality

I think flags can be just for fashion because they look good. I doubt it's some kind of a statement (in most cases), though some people might wear clothing like that with some kind of political agenda.

I actually have a rococo arm chair that my mom refurbished with the union jack motif on it. It was never thought to be a "statement" I just think the flag looks cool and that's why I wanted it on my chair.

#14 Formality, Sep 5, 2015
  15. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I like it. Sad to say, I don't think it is safe in today's world to wear anything with an American flag on it outside of the USA. :frowning2: Just like Jews and gays, Americans are often a target. As much as I don't understand or agree with much of the US's politics and policies,
    I think we have to say where would the world be without the USA? Thank you Americans for standing up in this world for democracy and the poor and oppressed in other countries. The same goes for Germany, the UK and France. We need these powerful nations to stand up for us and create a balance of power against Russia, China, ISIS, etc.

16. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've had a shirt with the Union Jack when I was younger but as I grew, I came to dislike shirts with prints or logos on them. I had a pair of a germany flip flops

I really don't have anything to say about people who wear clothing items that have a print of a country's flag. Unless they're being rude, I think they're quite harmless.

#16 radicalmuffins, Sep 5, 2015
  17. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let people wear what they want.

18. timo

I have a pair of these All Stars with the British flag on them. Looks cool. No other motives behind it.

What I do hate are people wearing shirts or bags with a city name on it. Amsterdam- and Berlin-shirts are the worst. Obnoxious tourists, I hate them.

19. Yami

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think they're proud of where they come from or something. I really don't mind, and I see it as fashion as long is it is a countries flag. The Putin one I would've seen as provocation though, as that is a politician with some pretty strong feelings that aren't very popular in most places.

20. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Things like the Union Jack are mostly worn as a fashion statement, rather than a display of nationalism. The stars and stripes are similar - and I actually have a vest with the stars and stripes on it.

It isn't like you see people wearing these on a daily basis though..

[​IMG]

#20 imnotreallysure, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015