1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Same sex parenting?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FANTIE, Sep 6, 2015.

1. FANTIE

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've seen couple of studies, they seem to be negative, so what do you think?

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If the study you're referring to has the name "Regnerus" in it anywhere, it has been discredited multiple times due to his implicit bias in affecting the results to try to increase hatred towards same sex parents.

Same sex parents can be just as good (if not better) parents than opposite sex parents, and nobody has found any legitimate reason as to why same sex couples can't be good parents.

3. Simple Thoughts

I think it's impossible to know until there is a generation of children who have been raised by same-sex parents.

Since even now it's very rare for a same-sex couple to be granted the right to adopt we really won't know for a few more decades with any real certainty about whether or not same-sex parents are as effective/more effective/or less.

My money is on Just as effective because it isn't really any different.

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My money is actually on better rather than just as effective, if for no other reason than gay couples don't accidentally have children. Generally speaking when a gay couple has a child they have jumped through so many hoops to do so and desperately want that child and are emotionally and financially ready for that child--it would be great if that were the case for straight people as a whole, but I think we all know it isn't.

5. Simple Thoughts

I disagree with that sentiment to an extent.

I don't argue that every LGBT couple who adopts a child does so because they want one ( I mean why else would they? ), but there is a such thing as wanting a child for the "wrong reasons" and then there is the whole issue of someone wanting a child, but not realizing how daunting of a task it really is.

It's one thing to hear "No freetime" and its' another thing to have an actual living human being under your care constantly around you and in need of near constant attention.

I can see some LGBT couples getting in over their head and not knowing how to handle the situation in much teh same way as straight couples often do.

6. FANTIE

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Girls who are raised apart from their fathers are reportedly at higher risk for early sexual activity and teenage pregnancy. [52] Children without a mother are deprived of the emotional security and unique advice that mothers provide. A 2012 study by Mark Regnerus, PhD, Associate Professor of Sociology at the University of Texas at Austin, found that children raised by parents who had same-sex relationships suffered more difficulties in life (including sexual abuse and unemployment in later life) than children raised by "intact biological famil[ies]." [133] Doug Mainwaring, the openly gay co-founder of National Capital Tea Party Patriots, stated that "it became increasingly apparent to me, even if I found somebody else exactly like me, who loved my kids as much as I do, there would still be a gaping hole in their lives because they need a mom... I don't want to see children being engineered for same-sex couples where there is either a mom missing or a dad missing." [53]

Footnotes & Sources - Gay Marriage - ProCon.org

Footnotes & Sources - Gay Marriage - ProCon.org

---------- Post added 6th Sep 2015 at 11:31 AM ----------

Mark Regnerus

Institution: University of Texas at Austin

Haaa exposed, thanks BryanM

7. Simple Thoughts

It came from Texas and a tea partier was speaking about it....seems legit =/

8. Gen

Gen

The American Psychiatric Association has carried out existence research on this subject and found that children from same-sex or single parent homes display no differences in psychological development than children from traditional families.(x). All major national psychiatric associations agree worldwide as well.

For the record, this research was carried out long before LGBTQ rights became "cool" for organizations to support in society. These same associations actually had to change their minds on how they felt on LGBTQ a few decades go, so there is little chance of bias in their finding.

Although LGBTQ rights has only truly taken off in the past few decades, there are absolutely a generation of fully grown adults who were raised by same-sex parents. There were plenty of cases for them to have carried out their research on without speculation.

9. Simple Thoughts

Oh really?

I had no idea. I thought that was a recent thing. It's hard to imagine even just 10 years ago that a same sex couple could easily get custody of a child. Is this outside of the US? or was this going on in the US?

10. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's something I definetly want to do one day I think it's important to talk about how you plan to raise your kids before you have them then that way you and the person you are with are in the same page and knows what the other one wants. By doing this you should have an idea of what to do when parenting.

11. Lipstick Leuger

There are more ways to have children than to adopt.

For a woman it's a matter of a good male friend and a turkey baster, or going to the bar one night for a quick hookup, or getting a good male friend or husband to do the honors. So, there are many same sex parented children that are now grown up to study and anyone who says that it is different is wrong. I know several adults who had same sex parents and you would never know if you did not ask them. My children are very well adjusted, and they actually care about others, they are kind and thoughtful and they are all crack students. We have never had problems with drugs or alcohol or breaking the law or getting into much trouble. So, I really don't care what others think. I know that same sex parents do a great job.

12. Phioo

Phioo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    It sure is better than not having parents.

13. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't think of any legitimate reason as to why they shouldn't.

14. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Troll much?

15. Gen

Gen

It is similar to same-sex marriage in that the only thing that was missing from the lives of many couples was the paper work. Legally, two members of the same sex couldn't be listed on formal paperwork in many areas, but the obvious way for them to get around it was to have one parent listed as the legal guardian despite the fact that both were actively playing the role.

16. Simple Thoughts

So like the Civil union of parenting?

17. Gen

Gen

Sorry, I didn't see this.

In some cases. One of my best friends from high school was raised with a mother and father in the home, but they were not the biggest fans of the idea of marriage. They were at least together from her birth to the time that I last spoke to her when we went off to college. I would say that is fairly rare for heterosexuals given not only their rights but norms; however, that was the dynamic that LGBTQ who wanted to start families in the past often experienced.

In liberal areas, the fact that a child had two parents of the same sex wouldn't have been such a big deal for the Y generation. Granted, the kids might have issues with bullies, but it is not as though child protected services would show up at their door because two men or women lived there. Most people would assume that one of the parents was another biological family member who lived in the house even in conservative communities anyway.

It was only that both parents could be registered as the legal guardian, but that is only the formalities of raising a child.

18. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see in any way how it could be seen as inferior. I guess most of these conservatives would rather have kids grow up without love or two responsible adults than, heaven forbid, same sex parents. Think about it, though. By saying that only a woman can give a child emotional security or only a man be a boy's role model, you're perpetuating outdated gender stereotypes.

19. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe that same sex parenting is good in the way that it gives them a chance but I wouldn't want to be a patient because I don't want to take the chance of them getting picked on

20. Ryu

Ryu

It's fine in my opinion, I don't see why it would ever make a difference... but it sorta scares me... Parenting as a whole seems absoloutley shit scary.