1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any good resources for songwriting?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Simple Thoughts, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Simple Thoughts

Particuarly in writing lyrics?

I've been working on these songs for awhile, but I feel like it'd help immensely if I had some resources and methods to help tune up all the lyrics and focus the rest of them better. Does anyone know of anything like this?

2. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might need to explain a little better exactly what you're looking for. I can probably help find something though, been writing songs for decades.

3. Simple Thoughts

Just resources on how to structure lyrics, and things to think about when writing lyrics, and umm...good methods for thinking up the words I guess.

I'm halfway through the album I've been writing lyrics for and I'm having trouble getting the last half written out, plus I'll need to edit up the first 6 songs so I was hoping to get some resources on it.

4. Andrew193012

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Write down any ideas you have in mind and writing a song needs inspiration. Incorporating some of your own experiences in the song will also help. Try to ask help from your friends, that will serve as your bonding with your friend and its fun...
    Good luck with your song!!! :-D

5. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It really depends on what you're writing, a lot of songs may follow similar structures and whatnot but what makes them good is that they're yours, and you can make that unique. I think it's fine breaking and bending the "rules" a bit when it comes to structure, whatever those rules may be.
    As for coming up with lyrical content, inspiration can be different for everyone, and everyone's lyrics are vastly different, style and whatnot. I'm sure yours are great and I hope you're able to finish up the stuff you've been working on.
    I don't know of any sites specifically tailored towards writing lyrics, but Ultimate Guitar (the tabs site) has a forum, I think one of those forums is on songwriting- I'm not sure about any details since I've never really used it before but you can check it out. There may be some useful information there. I'm pretty sure they also have some articles on it.

(And this seems like a redundant thing to say but if you search up lyric writing and stuff on Google there are some pretty good sites and videos, though it all depends on how they suit you.)

Best of luck with the songwriting :slight_smile:

#5 Alder, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  6. Simple Thoughts

I appreciate the input and advice ^^

I've been just kinda going with the flow of things so far, and I'm about halfway through my lyric writing endeavor. Maybe I ought to just keep going the way I am and then come back to them all at the end and see if I can't figure something out for touching up on them or something.

7. Poster

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Look for things that inspire you. I always have two or three things in mind during each writing session.

As a last resort, there are people on Fiverr who offer writing services - can't vouch for how good they are though.

8. Simple Thoughts

I'm sure I couldn't afford writing services ^^"

9. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I'm trying to write song lyrics.. I just think of an object, the color, or how it makes me feel and then I go on from there. I like using a lot of play on words with my writing too, try it out some, k? You can do it!!

10. Simple Thoughts

I'm doing what I can :slight_smile:

11. Poster

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Put a link up if you record anything!

12. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, the first thing we really need to know to help you is what genre the music is closest to. That way we have a general idea how the lyrics will be presented by the vocals, etc.

13. Posthuman666

Life. Life is always the easiest way to write songs. Or just get lost in other music or art. Just escape this physical world and really feel the music.

14. Simple Thoughts

Well it started as something in the Breaking Bejamin/MCR area, but lately it's been going through some slight changes, but it's still kinda in taht realm I'd say :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 7th Sep 2015 at 03:49 PM ----------

I do that on occasion. X3

15. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rule number 1: Don't overthink it.

Just chuck down words as they come into your head. It doesn't matter if they don't entirely make sense at all, but lots of words is a lot, lot further along than no words. If you're too focused on finding the 'perfect' word you will never find the heart of the song, i.e. what it's expressing. Sometimes things need to be stated plainly first before being touched up/polished off.

Once you have your words, you can take them, tear them up, switch them around and re-order them, ditch some, create some new ones...then the creative juices will really be flowing. :grin:

16. Simple Thoughts

Yeah that's sort of how I've been handling in.

I'm six songs in so far, not too bad of a place to be. I still have to figure out how, or find someone to do the music though ^^"

For the most part they've all kinda turned out pretty okay, but the more I think about it the more I think I need some kind of intro because I feel like the first song is a little misleading.

17. leah888

leah888 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    You may want to check this out too.

18. Simple Thoughts

That was an interesting read, thank you :slight_smile: