1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meaning

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Invidia, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    This is a bit philosophical again. xo

Meaning is something that is hugely important in the lives of people. We ascribe positive, neutral and negative meaning to things that we experience and perceive. This shapes who we are and how we act.
    People can feel fulfilled with meaning in their lives from for example raising children or in love for their partner. Others might have it in charity or ambition.
    Why I'm asking is because a textbook symptom of depression is feeling lack of meaning in experiences and perceptions. That doesn't mean simply a negative outlook on life. It can also mean not viewing things as positive (Awesome! Yeah!), neutral (Well, could be better, could be worse, it's okay I guess"), or negative ("Everything is awful. Life sucks."), almost at all. Things like writing a post or thinking a thought have near-zero meaning. They just flash before your eyes and just happen.
    Sometimes I'll have inspiration to do something like read a book, then a thought just steamrollers me: There is no meaning to this whatsoever and you're wasting your time. So I'm just kind of stuck there...

So, I guess... what is meaning? How does one find it, how does one consolidate it?

2. Simple Thoughts

I'm honestly not sure.

I never knew that was a part of depression. I'm really bad about being like that. It's hard for me to emotionally connect to anything, and as a result I don't find too much meaning in a lot of things. I can get passionate in a debate ( I guess ) but when I'm watching things, or reading, or just doing activities it's all just a blur of things that comes and goes.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Well, yeah, depression does often engender that symptom, though a lot of people can have it to varying degrees without being afflicted by depression.

4. Simple Thoughts

I'm probably depressed in all honestly. There just isn't all that much I can do about it really, so I try to just keep pushing forward despite the blandness that is my existence X3

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Aww. Things do get a bit dreary sometimes, don't they. *hug*

6. Simple Thoughts

*hugs back* sometimes.

I tend to go in and out at random. I have really bad days and then tolerable days. I very rarely have what I'd consider good days, but some days I don't feel completely and hoplessly bogged down. I have a lot of issues with motivation, but lately I've been pushing myself to try harder.

7. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Yeah... I have a constant struggle between intense inspiration on one hand and just the hollow feeling of agony and melancholy on the other... sigh...

good chatting with you~ it's 6 AM here, geez... I need to sleep...

8. Simple Thoughts

It's only like midnight here *hugs* If you need to sleep than sleep. Don't stay up on my account ^^

Yeah I know exactly whta you mean. I have this big ideas, but getting myself together long enoguh to bring them to life has been a struggle. I've been making progress, but it's been slow progress. I keep getting side-tracked and then I put myself back on track only to get side tracked again ;_;