1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does your area treat LGBT people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by person57, Sep 7, 2015.

1. person57

How does your area generally treat LGBT people? I live in California, which is a pretty good place to live as an LGBT person, however, I do live in a small town in California so I don't live in one of the best areas of California. I noticed that a lot of students in my school seem to stay silent about the topic of LGBTQ+ people. I've heard people say homophobic/transphobic slurs quiet a few times but I've only seen people actually get disgusted by LGBT people probably like two times. A lot of the times when the topic of LGBT people is brought, people seem to not really have an opinion at all and they seem very uneducated about it and I feel like they don't know what to say. As for gender identity, most people aren't educated on that at all. People see me and they think that I'm just a boy in girl clothes. And then there's the older generation, which I don't know too much about, but I know for sure that they're worse than the younger generation. However, even though I don't live in the best environment, I definitely don't live in the worst and I luckily have amazing supportive friends. How about you?

2. IrishBuddha6

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm from the northeast, but a pretty conservative, snobbish, and highly Roman Catholic area lol, don't get me wrong, it's a nice neighborhood but I wouldn't say it's the most supportive of lgbtq communities, they just kinda ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist.

3. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At my school = like crap. The teachers don't give a CRAP about the homophobic bullying which happens here. Doesn't help that there are so many religious people here.
    In my city = there aren't enough of us here really. Whangarei is dead when it comes to LGBT community. We get odd looks in the Rainbow Youth meeting room but that's about it. I have heard of cases of stalking and physical violence but never have had any occur to me personally.
    In my country = reasonable. Same-sex marriage is legal and all that. There is still the odd nay-sayer but nowhere near to the level of the United States.

4. Jellal

Nobody gets mad to your face, from what I've seen. But at night they'll vandalize your car.

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly hardly ever encounter obvious homophobia in my real life any more. The worst I encounter generally is people maybe being a little uncomfortable, but to be fair I think that's mainly people trying not to give offense more than anyone really disliking LGBT people.

6. Acm

Acm Guest

I live in a small, rural part of California that's semi-conservative, so it's not great.

7. C P

C P

Like crap(with few exceptions).

Hell, the lgbt folk treat other lgbt folk like shit as well.

#7 C P, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  8. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my school, very supportive.

They enforce that no kind of bullying is allowed, and they specifically mention "sexual orientation, gender identity or expression"in the handbook under bullying. The school library has a shelf devoted to LGBTQ fiction and non fiction, and the out people in my school have not been made fun of for that. I have a trans guy in my school, and nobody misgenders him purposefully. So, the environment I'm in is very friendly towards our community.

#8 loveislove01, Sep 7, 2015
  9. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I live in a tiny town, in a rural county. A lot of rednecks around here, a lot of church-y types. (I can literally stand in the center of my town and point out three different churches. Mind you, about 1,000 live in this backwater town. There's even a large Amish community in the county, if not in the cityvillage proper.)

Needless to say, it's not that great to be LGBT around here. I've got a lot of incentive to get out before I come out.

#9 ThatBorussenGuy, Sep 7, 2015
  10. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    It's okay, my friends are mostly liberal but nobody really discusses LGBT here that often.

11. gaynerd64

I live in a conservative town in Texas but I go to reasonably open minded school. It's funny because the majority of adults make a fuss about the LGBT community but the majority of students at my school all support it.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My school is known for having a very large number of queer students. I live in a progressive area of a very liberal city. My territory's government is the only state or territory government in Australia to have passed a same-sex marriage through the legislature, even though it was deemed constitutionally invalid by the High Court.

I haven't really encountered homophobia in person, though I'm sure as I go into adulthood I'll encounter it more often, as I'll presumably live in less of a bubble of liberal youth. But by every indication, I'm very lucky in where I live.

#12 Aussie792, Sep 7, 2015
  13. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    MY town is somewhere in the middle. A good majority of my town is very accepting of all sexualities & genders, and the other majority are basically complete idiotic bigot who rant complete bullshit :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (by that i mean making random quotes from the Bible about homosexuality being condemed and all that crap).
    By the way, when i say quotes from the old testament are bs, is because the Bible also says the old testament is outdated

14. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that's the case all over. While the older adults (40+, and I certainly don't claim to speak for all adults of that age) seem to have homophobia ingrained in their minds as part of the culture they lived in.

The younger generation is the one that is growing up to be more accepting of LGBT people, and they should be. Society marches on. What was taboo one day is history the next.

15. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in one of the few progressive open-minded spots in Kentucky. I've never had a single negative experience here.

16. L0ser

I live in a southern part of Virginia, surrounded mostly by people not too quiet about their feelings towards the LGBT community. I've heard everything from general disgust to some old friend of my grandfather telling me about how my town treated a transgender person in the 60s. Rather not get into the story, it's messed up.

So, not the most supporting environment. I've never had anything said specifically towards me, as I'm not out, but have seen some people get violent when it comes to this thing. I stay far away from those people though.

17. felixthelion

My town is VERY Southern and you can't walk one block without a church showing up. Thankfully, all of my siblings but ONE. Yes, ONE, is gay in some form so my mum is totally accepting. So are my closest friends. My dad's side of the family, except for my half brother who actually just married his fiance Brandon, is not as accepting. Basically, I'm pretty careful about who I tell that I'm ftm trans and pan. I don't want anti-gay Bible verses shoved down my throat. (I'm Christian but I'm not conservative and pretty liberal so I can half-tolerate it.)

18. Gear2BQueer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's pretty shitty here. Most everyone is conservative christian and I'm only sure of 5 or less people who are not straight in 72 mile radius.

19. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I kinda live in mormonville and even though there aren't a bunch of homophobes there are still quite a few.

20. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For me, not so bad, actually. There are a few assholish boys here and there, but most people in general don't have a problem with gay people.

Everyone close to me is fine with it, and there's even same-sex couples at my school. People may look twice when they pass, but I'm guessing it's because they aren't used to seeing openly gay couples holding hands. Regardless, I haven't had many issues after I entered high school. I do live in a more urban area, so it would make sense for people to be more socially liberal.

I will, however, say that transphobia is much more common that homophobia. One of my friends loves gay and has no issues with lesbians. Although, she can come off as transphobic. Most of my friends will say they don't have an issue with trans people, but are more willing to admit they don't like they idea of it. It seems a lot of transphobia comes from the fact that people lack understanding for trans people. Now that homosexuality is becoming more accepted, people see that love for the same sex isn't so difficult to understand. It may take a much longer time for people to understand what trans people go through.

But all and all, trans and gays together, I'd say it's much better than what LGBT people experience in other parts of the country. I guess I'd say I'm fortunate enough to live in an accepting neighborhood.

#20 Skaros, Sep 7, 2015