1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where in the bible does it say homosexuality is an abomination?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Sep 11, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't want to start a controversial topic. I'm just curious about this because I honestly don't know the answer and I was wondering if some and you do. Basically, I know that homosexuality was mentioned about 6 times in the bible (I think it's something like 4 references in the Old Testament and 2 references in the New Testament - I could be wrong though) but I'm having a difficult time understanding the whole "homosexuality is an abomination" thing.

The only part in the bible that I know of that refers to homosexuality as an abomination is in Levaticus. But that same section also claims that other things are "abominations" like eating shellfish, cutting hair, etc. And I thought that those rules under Levaticus no longer apply in today's society. I hear a lot of modern day Christians quoting those lines in Levaticus to support their claim that gay people are an abomination. (The 2 lines under Levaticus regarding homosexuality are the most used anti-gay verses from the bible I've seen people use). So, if modern day Christians say that gay people are an abomination because the bible says so, are they correct?

I've heard some say that they will never support gays because God says they're an abomination (which they probably got the idea from Levaricus) and I don't know if there's more to this whole thing that I'm not quite understanding.

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I found this video pretty informative about the whole topic:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezQjNJUSraY

It's long but I thought it was worth watching. It talks about all the parts of the bible that talk about homosexuality - or so some believe - and it looks at the historical context and translations and such and shows that it's actually very unlikely that the bible condemns homosexuality. Very interesting.

#2 bubbles123, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

where in the bible does it say anything important/relevant

4. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Apparently (according to the video) the part in Leviticus that condemns homosexuality actually should have little importance to Christians. The "laws" that included this were a set of laws made specifically for the Isrealites a long, long time ago so that they could "stand apart" from other cultures in a sense. It had several laws outlining ways to prevent venereal diseases, since this was a big issue at the time. The laws also included a Kosher diet and a certain way of dressing. According to the bible, Christ came to set people free of these laws in a sense. So if you're Christian and you believe that, then those laws don't apply to you. But the video's definitely worth the watch if you have the time. It addresses all the parts of the bible that address - or seem to address homosexuality.

5. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the link. I've seen that video before and it was very informative. It just baffles me why some people think it's an abomination especially since that word was only mentioned under Levaricus, which has some other barbaric laws Isrealities of that time had to follow.

6. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree 1000% with this.

7. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The latest and greatest Quran has plenty to say...

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ugh you are so right on!

9. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm starting to agree with that too lol.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The correct translation from the Hebrew, awkward as it is, of Leviticus 18:22 is "Thou shalt not lie with men as in the lyings of a woman", it says nothing about women lying together by the way, and the word "homosexuality" did not exist until the late 1800's. "As in the lyings of a woman" seems to be the very specific act of penetration between men. It could have simply said Thou shalt not "know" (in the biblical sense, meaning sex) men as you "know" women. One needs to read the bible just as much for what it doesn't say as for what it does...

It goes on to say doing this is "to'evah", badly translated as "it is an abomination" but can be understood more accurately as "against custom" or "taboo". Interestingly, it does not call it sin (despite several translations that say "detestable" or "detestable act" or "disgusting".

What to make of all of this? The importance of context and the need to know the tradition that surrounds it, and add in some reputable biblical scholarship for good measure...

11. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    nowhere!

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

*Waits for it...*

13. Gen

Gen

Please be mindful of our policy on the discussion of religion before responding to threads of this sort.

Greatwhale and Bubbles123 made some valid points.

14. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The bible is actually more against divorce than gay people as Jesus talks about it. Ultimately even if your are a christian you have to take the bible with a gain of salt. It was written by barbarians hence will contain some horrible stuff.

I don't know why most christians can't just focus on Jesus's message of helping the poor rather than focus on hating people and trying to fill politics with their religion. They can't prove their religion hence it has not place in politics.

I appreciate the policy about bashing religion but not allowing people to criticize a book that has been used to bash gays for centuries is just silly.

#14 gibson234, Sep 11, 2015
  15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, this is good to know! So, if my bf is standing up, and I'm on my knees, then oral sex is just fine, and the Bible even agrees! I'm sure we can plenty of ways around the laying down part, and still do most everything!

I feel vindicated :slight_smile:

#15 HuskyPup, Sep 11, 2015
  16. Linthras

Linthras Guest

To answer the OP, in some translations of translations of the edited and selectively collected Old and New Testaments.

17. FootballFan101

Respect parents, dont kill blah blah blah

18. Posthuman666

rekt

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To go even further, the prohibition is aimed directly at the penetrator, and not the penetrated...

20. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    "Don't believe everything in the Bible literally"
    Why not?
    "Read who said it"

All commandments would be followed (other than the Jewish ones) if you follow the two greatest commandments.

We should take things into context, the Bible is not usually literal (Jesus being tempted by Satan, verses used literally by Satan to tempt to do wrong), it was written by people of another time, in the language of that time, not all of what is said can be directly and completely literally applied to our lives.

Few things could not be fit to work with the Bible, almost anything can be interpreted many ways.

#20 PerfectlyNormal, Sep 11, 2015