1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extremism

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Simple Thoughts, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Simple Thoughts

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm 0% concerned with extremists, because they don't have any power.

I find a lot of normal folks completely terrifying, however. The reason I find them terrifying is that we live in a democracy where they can decide that they don't like who I am or who I want to sleep with, and therefore they are going to enact laws designed specifically to hurt me.

3. Simple Thoughts

I'd disagree with that sentiment. I consider both political parties in the U.S to either be extremist or starting to head that way. It's far more clear cut with the republican party though I'll admit. It's easier to point out their insanity, but I see it on the other side as well.

Yeah...I'm not a big fan of laws about sexuality and gender identity either. I don't think we should be dictating what people do in those regards.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can you help me to understand how this works? We live in a very large, stable country with a (relatively) unassailable electoral process. If both political parties are becoming more polarized, but very large segments of the public are still voting for them, how are you claiming they are extremist?

This to me sounds like a claim that most of America is extremist. (You can say that the parties are different from the public, and fine, I can buy that. However, people still vote for them, so they must to some extent be represented by them. And it is again, huge numbers of people, so I think they are mainstream, not extremist.)

I definitely agree that both political parties are inappropriately authoritarian, even by American standards.

My mention of laws about sexuality and gender identity are meant to capture the fact that normal, everyday non-extremist people are still very dangerous, and they have a lot more power than some random Neo-Nazi in the Idaho Panhandle.

5. Simple Thoughts

Well let's see...

You watch Fox News and you hear "The gay abortionist black folk are destroying america and civil war is coming cause the gays can marry and praise be to Kim Davis" or some variation of that kind of language

You watch MSNBC and hear, "The evil coporate, racist, sexists, are opressing the world and we must take action!"

Not to mention they both HATE moderates. The loathe them entirely. There's a reason congress was dead-locked for so long. It was because two extremist groups were in there and neither of them would even consider a middle ground option on anything.

You want to know how normal everyday people wind up in two extremists groups...it's pretty easy when your country is a false dichotomy and the mainstream ( and even a lot of online news ) is designed to create a shizzstorm of all these "Us vs. them" stories which are intended to demonize their opponents and make themselves seem like saints.

Can you recall one news story where mainstream leftist news had something bad to say about Obama?

Can you recall one news story where mainstream Right wing news had something bad to say about Bush?

There is a reason they won't call out their own no matter what, and that's because they want their viewership to see the worst of their opponents and only the best of themselves.

Yes, absolutely we aren't anything like ISIL (ISIS? ) but extremism doesn't automatically mean that you're going to attack and hurt others, it's a dangerously closeminded mindset that leaves it open to that,

Also the way the right is talking about "Civil War" these days like it's something that's actually going to happen you've gotta be a little worried. I mean the last time we got into one of those it was over slavery so I could see bigotry actually going that far for a second time. =/

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get everything that you're saying, but I remain unconvinced. You don't like the political parties, and that's fine. I don't like them either. But they are mainstream. They are not extremist. They are not becoming extremist. If they were, then they would lose support. Or, their increasingly odious positions would become the new mainstream.

To say that something is extreme is to say it occupies a fringe minority position at one or the other end of a distribution. Both of the political parties represent--collectively--vast swaths of the public. Hence they are mainstream.

Are the parties increasingly polarized? Yes, I would say they are. But not extremist.

You recognized rightly that just because someone is extreme doesn't mean they are necessarily violent, although their closed mindset makes them a risk for becoming violent. I think it's just as important to recognize that just because people are mainstream doesn't mean they are non-violent. It just means that their violence is normalized.

People like to use the word "extremism" to try and marginalize things they don't like, and I think it's used imprecisely most of the time. For example, recently, the Montana Democrats defined Greg Gianforte as having "extremist views." He believes in Young Earth Creationism. That is not extreme. That's representing the views of anywhere between 40-47% of American adults. He also opposes LGBT protections and non-discrimination ordinances. Again, that's not extreme. A whole lot of people still hate us. Sure, Gianforte's views are odious. But in calling him "extreme," we're pretending that his views aren't shared by a lot of people when in fact they are. And we need to deal with how horrifying that fact is.

#6 Pret Allez, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  7. Simple Thoughts

I disagree with your interpretation of what extremism is.

To me extremism means, extreme. You can have a majority of extremists. I mean look at a lot of countries in the middle east. They are majority in support of some of what I'd consider very extremist laws.

I don't believe you have to be in a minority group to be 'extremist'

To me being an extremist means holding a very one-sided close minded position on something and demonizing anyone who doesn't share in your views.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's fine that you disagree, but that being the case, I am no longer sure about what we're discussing.

I feel like I was discussing extremism in a commonly understood sense of the term, which finds support in Political Extremism and Rationality by Albert Breton, et al.

9. Simple Thoughts

If you haven't noticed I don't gotz da fancy degrees or ze college experience. =P

I don't have any idea what the academic definition of anything is, and I don't really care what it is. I find academia pretentious and way too full of itself.

10. Donteatthesushi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feared i was he only one here who felt that way. Mostly being that LGBTQ issues is supported ore by liberals. I agree wholly, both liberals and conservatives go to extremes which scares me. Though i think moderates can go to extremes too, i have seen it happen. I think it comes with an form of belief in ideas, people will take it to extremes.

11. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Extremists ruin everything for everyone. You should be concerned with them because these are the people who represent your movement in the main stream. Or, be angry at everyone who cant distinguish between an activist and an extremist, or both.

12. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    The Dems and Reps in the US gov are by no means extreme. They are very centrist.

13. Donteatthesushi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think that's what scares me the most, i have seen extremes even within the LGBT+ community and with other movements. One of the reasons i avoid activists.

14. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just because a large percentage of the country hold an extreme view doesn't make it normal.

15. Lipstick Leuger

Meh. Extremists are the minority, that do the majority of bitching and make themselves seem larger than they actually are. They have always exsisted, however thanks to the internet and social media, they have become 'larger than life' and really blown out of porportion.

Look at the Westboro Baptist church. Extremists, but only like 100 of them, seriously, they should not have garnered any type of attention at all. As for Fox News and MSN, I listen to NPR, and read a lot and form my opinions from many sources. If you really want to be informed, it requires you to take in many sources of news not just the two polar opposites.

The ignorant majority scares the hell out of me though............

#15 Lipstick Leuger, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  16. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't agree with him but I know where he is coming from

17. Simple Thoughts

You and me both.

I wish there was some sort of 'comptency' test for voting. Like you had to prove you understood the issues because people who don't understand anything voting blindly is like negative votes.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You'd have to hope that the political-powers-that-be don't turn that into an issue, or try and work around it. Also, I believe this same test should be given to politicians as well.

19. Donteatthesushi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Something more like Plato's Republic run by philosopher kings perhaps?

20. Simple Thoughts

Well my thinking is a test that makes sure you actually understand politics.

Do have a basic grasp on Economics? Do you know the current political state of the world? Do you actually know anything about the policies of the candidates?

I'm not sure how to make that into a working model for a test, but the basic idea would make sure they understood what politicians are talking about, and a segment devoted to making sure people understood what each politician's proposed policies would actually do.