1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Empty Closets Christian Gay Friendly?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Open Arms, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

What I'm finding is that Empty Closets is not a place I would send my Christian gay friends to. Too many people are judgemental towards Christians and Christianity and make fun of or show disdain for the Bible, church, Christian beliefs, etc.

I didn't come here for support, but mainly to say not all Christians are anti-gay.
    But for those Christian gays who are looking for a community where they feel safe to share who they are and feel free to discuss their identity and beliefs, I don't think EC is it.
    It's disappointing, but perhaps understandable. I don't think people of other faiths would feel they fit in either, though I can't speak for them.

This is just my opinion. What's yours?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can speak for the staff in saying that our goal is to be supportive and respectful of everyone's beliefs, provided that people, in stating their beliefs, are respectful and tolerant of others with differing viewpoints.

What this means is you should never see a post being disrespectful, attacking, bashing, or flaming anyone because of their spiritual beliefs nor should you see anyone ripping on or disrespecting someone because they are atheistic or otherwise don't have spiritual belief and faith.

This is a fine line to walk and one the staff is constantly looking at. As with most moderation decisions, when we remove (or allow to stay) any given post or thread, that decision has been made and reviewed by multiple staff members. And it is also fair to say that EC's staff is made up of individuals with belief systems across the spectrum.

So... If you want to be able to talk about your faith and how Christian values fit into it, you should be able to do so and feel supported and respected. If you want to talk about having no such beliefs, you should be able to do that as well.

What you cannot do is argue with someone whose beliefs are different than yours and try to convince them that they are wrong.

If you see posts that fall outside this guideline, don't get into an argument or post an angry response. Instead, please report them using the post report icon (the little triangle at the lower left of the post.) the staff will review and take appropriate action.

3. lemons123

Most likely...

One thing to add: I am an atheist but know in the Bible (the new testament), Jesus Christ doesn't express any opinion on the topic - nor positive, NOR negative. It's later with the so called "Saint Paul" who had never met Christ who condemns the romans for homosexual behaviour. In the old testament as far as i know only the male form is condemned but lesbianism is later by the rabbis.

Again: I am NOT a total expert but I know some things. I don't want to sound like that Richard Dawkins guy who openly admits he hasn't read the bible yet criticizes Christianity very outspokenly. You need to read it to be able to agree/disagree later.

4. Linthras

Linthras Guest

That this forum strives to prevent hostility, disrespect etcetera, as part of the safehaven principle.
    But, like most forums, they can't instantly prevent people from making posts violating such rules. So you might encounter a hateful post or two, but that doesn't mean this forum isn't Christian friendly, just that the mods haven't noticed/responded yet.

I've seen a number of biphobic comments as well, but I realise this is symptomatic of that poster, not the forum or it's function as a safe space.

#4 Linthras, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  5. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It should be. The site should be inclusive to everyone, even if peoples' opinions of religion are strongly negative. I'm no fan of religion, but I have tried to be respectful to those who are. All that should matter is if someone is a good person or not, and in the often-ostracized LGBT community, there is no place for bigotry of any kind.

#5 ThatBorussenGuy, Sep 14, 2015
  6. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen a few borderline offensive posts about Christianity on here, and also about bisexuality and other things too. People are judgemental and do have opinions, and sometimes they're not nice. I think EC has been really good about keeping it peaceful and everything.

Another thing is, I've seen far more non-believers here than people of any faith; so Christians being under-represented may be part of the issue.

I've found it more respectful than any other online forum or chat place though, so I disagree.

7. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that people here are pretty good with being respectful of one another's beliefs, though that's not to say there hasn't ever been a cross exchange...

Being a Christian myself, I do feel comfortable posting about what I believe here, but I'm also the sort of person who welcomes (logical) criticism so I'm not easily offended if someone brings up particular topics that they don't agree with me on.

Basically, I wouldn't recommend a sensitive pansy of a Christian to come here, as such people often take everything far too personally, and cannot respect/accept others' beliefs as valid too.

It just depends on the person, I guess is what I'm trying to get at.

8. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I hate religion but I'll never disrespect or shame a user for their beliefs. Anyone who does that should and would be dealt with by the staff. Believers should be free to discuss their views on faith in peace as should non believers. It is too much to fully expect both sides to respect or agree with one another, but there's no reason we can't agree to disagree on some things, and still get along.

9. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Personally I'm a Gay Christian in two or three of my posts wherein I elaborated on this belief NOBODY has ever attacked me or judged my belief as false. I strongly believe EC is inclusive and accommodating to all faiths and non-faiths. The environment just reflects the real world situation that not everyone will necessarily adhere to your beliefs. Some may even feel they have the need to say their piece. However it stops at the buck of out right bigotry. Respect of beliefs apply to all, if you do feel that the content of one thread may not be to your liking (because of Religious sensitivity) scroll past it. :slight_smile:

10. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

When people on here say I hate Christianity, religion is responsible for all the evil in the world, the Bible is useless (though they've never read it) and dozens of similar (very)negative comments, that's not equivalent to someone saying I hate homosexuality and gay rights are harmful? Hmmmmm.

My point being... Would you feel welcome on a Forum where you regularly heard people say I hate homosexuality and gay rights are harmful?

I'm obviously caught in the middle of The Great Divide which is never a fun place to be.
    One gets fired on from both sides of the cultural war.

Or... maybe I'm just a pansy! :eek:

Thanks for your responses.

11. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Who said so?

People like that do turn up from time to time, just like biphobic people and transphobic people.
    The moderators aren't gods, no pun intended, they try their best, but they can't predict that somebody's going to post something hateful and stop them before they start.

12. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I take a gander you are referring to the thread "Your Views on Christianity"--- scroll past it. Clicking on it is like opening a Pandora's Box, if you're sensitive about your religion. Again not all threads are like that. I remember a thread where the OP was torn because of being Christian and LGBT. The OP did stipulate that commentators need not mock the religion. Commentators were pretty respectful, those that commented were Christian LGBT as well. Save for one Agnostic if I remember right.

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My opinion is that I agree with you. I was raised in one of the Christian denominations and I've shied away from it over the years, but I still have a religion I identify with because of that upbringing.

What I see is an undercurrent that runs through the threads if the topic is about something else, such as politics and the election, and that the subject is addressed directly when there's a poll on beliefs.

It's no surprise that LGBT polling of religion affiliation shows a great deal of atheism and agnosticism in its fold. If a religious group has a history of being oppressive, then why would someone want to be a part of it?

---------- Post added 14th Sep 2015 at 10:47 AM ----------

Right, it's not Christ but St. Paul who makes a huge to do over morals, and a lot of it has to do with sexual behavior. I know the Old Testament has certain passages, but I did not know lesbianism was later condemned by rabbis. Finding out why and when this happened might be interesting.

#13 Tightrope, Sep 14, 2015
  14. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get what you're saying. But I don't find these sentiments expressed in too many places here. If a thread *asks* for our opinion on a topic, I don't think anyone can get upset when some of us like it and some of us don't. In other words, if a thread asks my opinion on Christianity and I hate Christianity (I don't, but suppose), then I think it's fair game for me to say that. Asking the question opens that door. Context is everything.

Similarly, if a thread was to ask "what is your opinion of homosexuals?" I don't think we can afford to be terribly upset if some people say "I think they're going to hell" (I don't believe that either...again, hypothetical).

Now if a Christian simply announces or refers to their religion, and somebody jumps on them and denounces their faith, or otherwise spews hatred, *that* is inappropriate, and I would hope to see such a user banned. If this happens and the aggressor is *not* sanctioned, OR if most times a Christian announces or refers to their religion, they get attacked (even if staff punishes them for this), then I think that crosses the line into "an unfriendly environment for Christians." I'm not as sensitive to this as a Christian might be, but I have not noted this extreme of behavior here.

#14 biAnnika, Sep 14, 2015
  15. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Linthras, I'm not going to be a grievance collector and list all of the insults to prove my point. How would that be helpful?

Thanks BlueBunny for your understanding.

I've just stated my observation from my fairly short time here.

It's good to get perspectives from other people. One thing I like about the internet is it links us up with people from other countries and cultures. It gets us out of our own little worlds and comfort zone. For example, I learned on this forum that it's perfectly normal and not insulting in some cultures to call a woman a bitch and a man a dick. (Where is the shock icon when I need it?)

By the way, any former Bridges Across the Divide members on here? I really miss that forum!

16. TheSeeker

Please try to remember that most of the people on here who are not christian or hate religion do so for deeply personal reasons. Example: I hate christianity because I grew up believing I was damaged and broken, religion was the only barrier between me and coming out as openly gay. I renounced my faith, walked away, and am now happier than I have ever been.

Christianity causes pain to the LGBT community. That's not conjecture, it is fact. So if you are going to an LGBT support forum expecting that everyone thinks Christianity is hunky dory, you will be hard pressed to find one.

I will never try to talk someone out of their religion, but I will give my testimonial of "how I lost jesus" until I'm blue in the face.

Religion (Christianity especially) is something that many of us are dealing with here on EC. Just because we try to be respectful doesn't mean that we are not going to express our rage, pain, and sadness on the subject. It just means that it doesn't apply to you.

There was a thread awhile back about "would anyone date an atheist". That was a real gem.

So, in summation, do I believe that Christians are accepted here on EC? Absolutely. Do I also believe that Christians are behind most persecution of the LGBT Community (at least in the USA)? You bet. Do I believe the persecutors calling persecution by those they persecuted first is absolute bullshit? Abso-freaking-lutely.

Much love, from EC's resident Heretic,

-TheSeeker

17. Acuba403

The fact that this has to be said is extremely disappointing, EC should be accepting of every one no matter their religion, ethnicity, ect. I'm no fan of religion, I'll be the first to admit it; but other people are and I respect that. whether you like or don't like religion you need to be respectful of other peoples beliefs so if you don't have anything to nice or positive to say, DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL.:eusa_doh:

18. Linthras

Linthras Guest

It would be helpful if you made clear what you're talking about.
    When you post statements like these:
    That do not reflect any of the posts made in this thread, I've got to wonder what you're talking about, what brought that up.

19. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Yes, I do get that Seeker. I do. I see I need to let you guys vent without complaining!

But I also want LGBT people in the US especially to be careful not to paint all Christians with the same brush which is very discriminatory and very painful. I believe this hatred is unique to the USA because of your large population of right wing fundamentalists. They drive me crazy too. But do you have any idea how many millions and millions of Christians are pro-gay now? Even many from evangelical backgrounds like myself?

I was not surprised at all that Acuba403 is from Canada. We do not have this deep-seated hatred, distrust and disrespect between the LGBT community and Christians. Head-to-head battles between us are very rare. I honestly can't remember the last one.

Even my elderly parents were very good friends with their gay couple neighbours and visited each other despite a huge age gap. They never shunned my gay cousin or his partner in any way either, and vice versa. That's how it should be. This was like 25 YEARS ago!

I'm so sorry these stupid gay vs. Christian and Christian vs. gay animosities still exist anywhere in the world. How do you stop it? Education and one person at a time, I guess.

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I hope this thread isn't locked/closed before I have the chance to properly respond. I do want to address some things, but I have a lot of errands to run right now.