1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you handle the awkwardness with friend crushes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ameryllis, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Ameryllis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I have a crush on my friend, and at the beginning I was pretty awkward around her (she noticed) but now it's alot better, so I was wondering, how do you guys handle the awkwardness around your friend crushes?

2. tentacles

Been there, done that, bought a t-shirt.
    My crush is my best friend. I just try to forget that I have a crush on her when we're together.

3. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha, pretty much the same thing. Sometimes things are still awkward. Basically I just try to ignore my crush on them, and wait things out, see what happens. Just make sure your friendship is stable, above all else.

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This was basically my situation for three years. I didn't deal with it that spectacularly really, I just remained close to her and continued acting as a good friend- because I had a crush on her, but simultaneously I was still most definitely friends with her too. Didn't avoid her or purposely always seek out conversation with her or anything, just kept it pretty lowkey and did my best. Good luck!

5. Lyana

I carried a torch for my best friend all throughout high school. ^^ Thankfully, it was never awkward between us. I knew he didn't feel the same way, and I could accept that, so we just remained fast friends. I had a crush on him partly because he was a really cool guy and we had a lot of fun together, so we made very good friends.

So far, I haven't let a crush compromise a friendship. That's not to say I wouldn't date a friend, or would never reveal my feelings; I just wouldn't let my feelings eat away at me until they built a wall between us, because that would just be really sad.

6. KaySee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I felt like it had to be awkward, when I felt I had romantic feelings for someone, even though it never really felt like that. I talked to some people in my life about that before, when I had similar issues, and they agreed with me that things are only awkward if you make them awkward. Everyone's awkwardness in these situations is at least partially influenced by society's and the media's opinion that that the situation should be awkward. Let that go, and you will probably end up feeling better.

7. Helicoprion

Out Status:
    A few people
    I just spilled some of my water reading that first sentence.

To the OP, the best solution is to let it fade with time. Although in my current situation, she may be my best friend, but I am most certainly not her best friend. I suppose that makes it easier.

#7 Helicoprion, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  8. CyanChachki

I try not to do anything seemingly romantic with them, like going to a movie. I did that once with a friend I had feelings for, I got the wrong message and it ended pretty bad.