1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just saw yet another anti-gay protester at my college campus...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Sep 15, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I made another thread like this earlier this year. Every semester, there's these 2 people that come to the center part of our college campus to protest against the LGBT community. The main guy shouts out verses from the bible, while his little helper holds up signs. I've seen them AT LEAST 10 times (if not more) since I first attended this college (I'm a senior now).

I honestly don't get what they're trying to accomplish. Every semester they do the same damn thing. I never encounter a college student agreeing with them. When I walked past them just now, there was like a crowd of about 50 people just gathering around them and they were trying to defend the LGBT community. That made me feel good. :slight_smile:

I didn't stop to see the whole thing, but I did get a glimpse of what they said and the signs they wrote. Some read "Jesus repents ALL sins" (probably referring to gay people in that they should repent). Another one was set up like a checklist, saying: "beastiality = X, pedophilia = X, homosexuality = X, 1 man + 1 woman = checkmark"... So of course they have to compare homosexuality with beastiality and pedophilia..OF COURSE! The best part is that when somebody asks them a question, they get caught off guard and go back to saying their script since they can't answer back. From what I've seen at my college, most students are supportive or are neutral to LGBT people and LGBT rights. They're fairly liberal for the most part.

Just ranting...thought I'd share that lol.

2. heyKittie

That really sucks. I've never seen protesters before, but if I ever do id probably be in that crowd defending the LGBTQ community. Maybe you could ask someone at your college if they could ban protesters from the campus or something. And I've seen a lot of videos and heard stories about how the preachers/protesters can't always answer the questions, and basically get owned ha ha. They just keep repeating the same things and verses, at least that's what I've seen in a couple videos. Just know that you're awesome the way you are :slight_smile:

3. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Haha, thanks. I'm not sure we can actually ban them, per say, but I do know that most students at my college don't give a f*** what these protesters think. It's reassuring to know that there's LGBT people, as well as straight people, who talk back to them and defends us. These anti-gay protesters got nothing. It's quite entertaining lol.

4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We had one show up a bunch of times while I was in uni, despite being confronted by students. I just rolled my eyes and walked around. They're not likely to change their minds.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's how it should be, it's freedom of speech, not freedom from speech, as long as there is no violence, or incitement to violence, let them say their piece and then argue back at them (thereby exercising your own freedom to speak).

6. Driftr

You want to know what I'd do?

I would actually approach these protesters and ask them why don't take their business outside of general nightclubs and strip-clubs where fornication, another "sin" (well at least in the bible) is rampant. Heck they can even take their protests outside a frat party where you'll definitely won't miss any fornicators and drunkards lool. Why do they insist on protesting with anti-gay signs when they should be holding up anti-fornication signs too? Heck they should also be holding anti-islamic, anti-semetic and just about any other anti-"any other religion" sign since idolatry is a sin in the bible.

I think that you should try that if you would really want to confront them and see what their rebuttal is. Even offer to help create posters for them too LOOL.

7. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm sorry but I don't see a problem. Just because they do that doesn't mean anything. Just let 'em do what they're doing. They're not harming anyone.

8. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, for 50 students against 2, I would say that's a fairly good school you're in. It's, of course, practically impossible to gain 100% support for something major. Sorry to see that there's some people openly ignorant your school, but at least the vast majority are on your side. :slight_smile:

9. Formality

Honestly, I probably wouldn't even stop to look at them. These people are crazy and there is really no point in arguing them. It's better to just give them a big nasty grin and continue walking. If no one gives them any attention, they'll just realize they have no effect on people and leave anyways. By acknowledging their existence you're only really stoking the fire. I can see how it would be tempting to approach such a squawking congregaion of wackjobs though.

#9 Formality, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015