1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What defines being out to everyone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ApexxShadow, Sep 16, 2015.

1. ApexxShadow

Hey guys! I have a few questions.

How do you define being 'out to everyone?' Do you think they'll be a time where you'll stop 'coming out?'

What do you guys think?

2. guitar

You never stop coming out. Even if you "act gay" and wear rainbow flags, you never stop.

For me, all of my Facebook friends know, my family & extended family and virtually all of my personal friends. I would consider that "basically everybody."

3. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, it's never been about "coming out". It's about *being out*. A person who is closeted takes steps to make sure nobody ever suspects or knows their sexuality. Therefore, the moment you *stop* all such steps, you are out.

But you have to be truly genuine. If you're holding back telling X about your partner when you ordinarily would (if it was a hetero partner), then you're not out yet. If you blur your partner's pronouns so people can't tell, you're not out yet. But there need be no grand announcement (that echoes and echoes and echoes through the ages). If you want to be out, be out.

4. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My "out to everyone" means I've told my family and friends. I'm not exactly carrying a flashing neon sign that says "bisexual", but I tell someone as soon as the time seems right. More often than not, they've kind of worked it out from something I've said or done, so I just confirm or explain that they're "half-right."

5. STM29

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me "out to everyone" means, that I never hide that I'm gay and tell people when they ask. Family and friends know it, my co-workers know it and in general I don't care when people know it.
    Example: When a topic of relationships etc comes up and there is a talk about it, I'm just honest and talk about having a girlfriend. It's just something that feels natural to me and it doesn't feel like having a "coming out" over and over again. It's just what it is and I'm fine with it. Luckily most people also take it that way. They recognize that I'm gay because I'm straight up with it, but they don't ask stupid questions all the time.

6. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me personally, it means being out to the people that matter. Be they friends, family, or anyone else you think should know.

7. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me personally, I think it's about those that matter. Really, it's no one else's business. No one should ever feel obligated to announce to the general public his or her sexuality. It's their business, and their business only. Only come out to the people that matter to you. No one else has to know if you don't want them to.

#7 AJ56, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  8. Lyana

I would say I was "out to everyone" if all of my immediate family and my friends knew, and I was open and casual about it in public/to acquaintances if it came up.

I'm casually out on campus, in the sense that my friends and several non-friends know, but I have only told my mother in my family, so I'm not "out to everyone."

At some point, I do think you stop seeing it as coming out and start thinking of it as being out. I "came out" to my mother, my best friend, and my girlfriend, but with most other people it just slid casually into the conversation because I wasn't hiding. A couple hours ago I mentioned being a member of the LGBT campus club to a guy I'd just met, because he's a member of a student club that has a room right next to ours. Most people just take it in stride, and you don't need to actually make an announcement.

9. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I'm not that out myself, but I would think it's when you are able to have a boyfriend/girlfriend and bring them anywhere without worrying someone you know will see. I mean, every time you meet someone new, chances are they'll assume you're straight but I guess I would count all the people I know currently (not people I used to know)

10. the haunted

I'm out to those who I care about. I don't hide that I'm gay and if someone were to ask, I would be truthful. It is common knowledge among those who I associate myself with on a somewhat regular basis. It's on my Facebook for everyone to see.

Therefore, Out to Everyone! :eusa_danc

11. azuky

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am not out to many people myself but I don't think you will ever stop coming out. People tend to assume things about others' sexuality. So from time to time you will have to tell people you just met that you are gay/trans/bi

12. Jessse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd define being completely out as in like, all friends and family know + willing to tell ANYONE that you are gay i guess

13. Jellal

To me, being out to "everyone" would mean being upfront about my identity with people I don't even know well, not doing anything to hide who I am.

But I'm not sure I want that ... at least not at this point in time.

So for now, I want to be out to everyone who really matters. I haven't done that quite yet. There are some old acquaintances I feel guilty about leaving out of the loop, but the fact is we haven't talked in a long time and I would feel too awkward making the conversation about me.

14. ScatteredEarth

"Being out" to me is more of a personal thing than a social thing. I haven't outright told anyone that I'm bisexual, but when they ask I don't cower away and say I'm straight. However, I'm not afraid to act like myself, and when it comes to being in a relationship with someone, I'll talk about them enough :slight_smile: (Of course, acting like myself is pretty much acting straight with some quirks :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

15. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I'd define it as telling those that need to know (for lack of a better term) and not being afraid to, say, hold hands with your partner in public, or mention them in casual conversation. Things like that.

16. BlueRazzberry

Out Status:
    A few people
    I thought this very same thing not even 10 minutes before getting online and reading this. Cool to see others think the same way.