1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you talk to a hot guy/girl without being awkward?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Driftr

I find that lately, it's starting to get easier for me to talk to hot guys without stuttering or being awkward. I still admit to myself that they're hot but I just don't want to assume anything anymore.

Is it easy for you to talk to hot guys/girls without all that awkwardness? How do you overcome the awkwardness?

2. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't ever talk to anyone without being awkward. I have embraced it as a part of who I am.

3. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think its only awkward if the person is totally aware of their hotness and it shows. If they come across as being a bit narcissistic, then I feel awkward, like "oh, I'm sorry, am I not beautiful enough to be seen near you, or am I not acknowledging how wonderful you are?" but if that's the case, then their hotness decreases because vanity is quite an unattractive quality.

There are plenty of people who are hot without realizing it, or people who are unconventionally hot (so what if they don't look like a movie star, they have some attractive quality about them) and these people can be quite approachable and easy to get along with.

Although, if I have admitted to a friend or colleague that I think someone is hot, then I might feel awkward if I talk to that person when we are all in the same room!

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I find it easier to talk to people who embrace their attractiveness, because it gives you something to acknowledge and talk about, as well as an ice breaker. Just don't do it in the oh-so-obvious, "You look hot!", because they probably get that a lot -- and you don't want to be presumed to be just like everybody else. Word it differently, or focus on something in particular:

If they have make up on and it enhances the eyes, compliment the eyes.
    If they have their hair done in an intricate way, compliment the hair.
    If they have tight or revealing clothes, compliment how nice they look.

When you focus on what the individual is wanting to express or draw attention to, it's a piece of cake in talking to folks. Of course, there is a dark side to this... but I'll leave it at that for now.

5. DeanEverywhere

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm a good looking guy and I am often awkward. Awkwardness is a good thing, it shows you want smooth cooperation.
    I get that feeling, when I do something silly, and I think the other person is equally stuck thinking about that silly thing I did. But that's not true, because everyone has this. You should know they aren't thinking about that, they have their own life and their own awkward handlings that they get equally stuck on as you on your own awkwardness.

Look up the word Sonder in the Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows. Sonder is the realization that everyone is living their own life. Someone who passes you by on the highway or sits at the distant table eating soup is only a minor character to you, you will probably never see them again. And yet that person's life is just as vivid as yours. You are a minor character to most people, environmental filler.

#5 DeanEverywhere, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  6. Kinky

Kinky Guest

This ^^

7. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, but I can strive to make "awkward" cute, with a moderate rate of success.

Funny you mention that, because when I encounter that type of people I feel the overpowering compulsion to neg them. I manage to refrain myself of course (I've matured that much at least), but it does put me in an emboldened state of mind that goes a long way in making me come across more confident than I really feel.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

There's somebody who knows they're hot, and then there's somebody who is only hot. The latter can be annoying to deal with, if your goal is to be friendly or expand the relationship. Of course, if you're looking to manipulate them, well, they're quite useful. But don't do that, it's bad.

For me, I prefer somebody with a degree of confidence, when wanting to be casual. Otherwise it feels like I'm carrying the encounter/relationship, which is fine at times, it happens, but all the time is draining. I also find being too humble as annoying, too, because they deflect and shrug off every thing, so you're left with very little to discuss without them resorting to a 'oh, you! stop!' routine.

Balance, I like it.

#8 Kaiser, Sep 17, 2015
  9. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Omg, yes. I can sympathize with people that lack confidence because I've been in that same situation many times, but only to a degree. Past a certain point I'm just gonna start wondering if you really wanna talk at all, and maybe find a way to duck out of the whole thing if you don't start contributing to the conversation in some capacity outside of nods and stiff pseudo-smiles. One-way convos are no fun, and even if you come across as awkward it's nice to see you are at least trying.

I don't have much patience for the overtly-humble-to-the-point-of-being-annoying kind, I happen to see that as it's own kind of arrogance, but I do find some amusement in trying to tease them into exposing their egos. I know it's in there somewhere, no one can be that humble without secretly reveling in some inflated sense of self-righteousness, and peeling the outer-layer hiding that core can be very fun (and the results, "interesting").

#9 RawringSnake, Sep 17, 2015
  10. tulipinacup

Yeah pretty much. I like being challenged in trying to make myself look like a fool in front of hot people. It's my aesthetics tbqh.

11. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's very few people I can talk to without being awkward, hotness aside.

12. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Totally this for me as well! XD

13. C P

C P

Fuck no.

This. :lol:

14. rudysteiner

There's this new guy I've met who I think is quite hot, and I get all flustered after I've spoken to him, so I think I can talk to them without being awkward, but I feel awkward afterwards.

15. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of the skills which I am yet to pick up, and somehow doubt whether I ever truly will.

16. macandcheese22

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No I am so awkward I stutter alllllll the time. Like even with my girl friends I just can't keep it together unless I have thoroughly thought out what I plan on saying :confused:

17. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Hahhahahahahah nope. I can barely manage to talk to anyone without being awkward. Hot people? Forget it!:slight_smile:

18. L0ser

Sort of. If I'm not attracted to them then I'm usually fine, but if I have a crush on them or want them to think I'm cool then I tend to be a bit more awkward than usual. Mostly its just me making weird jokes or saying stupid, along with stumbling over my words as I try to talk. Though that happens a lot anyways.

19. Burnedcloset

I just bumped into a sign because the cash register guy at starbucks is a cute boy.

:grin:
    That's just how I act though. Even with people I don't find attractive.

20. Ameryllis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HA no. But then again, I'm just naturally awkward. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: