1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

catcher in the rye

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lordjord96, Jan 5, 2009.

1. lordjord96

has anyone read it and if yesh whats it like?

2. pianoguy

Catcher in the Rye is really fantastic! I just read it for class and it was really great... I never cry at books and at one point I shed a few tears hahaha :grin: . Basically it is about this kid, Holden Caulfield, who is kind of a failure at life. The book covers three or four days in his life and the characteres he interacts with and there is one scene with his sister that is really amazing. Read it!

3. littledinosaurs

its really interesting.
    But its not as relevant to life as it used to be.
    In The end you have to decide if he's crazy or if its just normal teen angst.

4. Hoppip

When I read that my sophomore year, I practically took like 15 minutes of class time to discuss with my teacher Holden Caulfield's sexual orientation.

It was nice. :grin:

Holden's gay. Or bi. He's not straight. He's so gay.

5. Agreed. There's no chance in hell that he's straight.

I read Catcher in the Rye during my freshman year of high school, and I quite enjoyed it. The plot was a bit odd at certain points, but the theme and symbolism the work explored resonated profoundly. But if you want to what it's like, try to read it for yourself. :slight_smile:

6. biisme

I really liked Catcher in the Rye the first time I read it. Its quality slowly diminished with each additional read though. I may have read it too many times in too short a time?

7. Nodnarb

I read it freshman year. Most people despised it. But I loved it. It's been awhile, so I don't remember much about it, but I remember that it was very..."different". I've been planning to read it again for a long time, but I've never got around to it.

Another thing I remember; I completely agree that Holden isn't straight.

8. schoolboy91

schoolboy91 Guest

you either love it... or you hate it. most people who like it can relate to it.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED it.

9. apollo89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love Catcher in the Rye. I remember it being one of the only books in class that people truely listened too.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqfThmVIIAc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUnQ-wOPGUE[/YOUTUBE]

10. Jerr

All I remember is the fucks. haha

11. Cheese Love

That actually makes a lot of sense.. Especially him being obsessed with pegging men as beings "flits", and being so concerned about his teacher.

BUT YEAH.

Catcher in the Rye is an excellent book. It's definitely one of my favorites.

The narrator and protagonist, Holden, is somewhat of an angsty teenager of the 1950s. The book is also a pretty easy read- nothing too complicated.

12. Nick

I have read it twice for school, once in 2004 (year 7) and once in 2008 (year 11). Mum wanted to sell it on to someone who will need it this year but I wouldn't let her, I just love it too much.

If you think about it, it is a pretty boring book. He goes places, he talks to people, he asks questions. That's mostly it. But I still love it because of the character development that Salinger does.

<3

13. Tim

Tim

I was forced to read it... didn't like it.

However, it was AFTER we read The Power of One, so my expectations were set extremely high, and I wasn't really reading it as much as I did The Power of One :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'll have to read it again some day and see how it compares with a clear mind.

14. cromig

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    haah ive never red the book but i do have it, now i think i have to XP

15. lawlst

at one point in my life i considered it a favorite. try it out, maybe you'll like sallinger.

16. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    thats not true his friend that can apparntly spot a guy from like 50 meters away.. didnt say holden is gay ... plus i refuse to be put in the same category with holden

17. Trumpetplyer23

I love the Catcher in the Rye!

I read it when I was in the eighth grade. It was probably one of the best books ever written (in my humble opinion).

Like others have said, it's about Holden Caulfield's journey (like 3 or 4 days) after he gets kicked out of prestigous prep school Pency Prep. He spends most of the time in New York talking to various people and meeting some interesting characters.

The symbolism was great. It was so well-written. I'm like, in love with this book if you couldn't tell.

I'ma have to read it again sometime.

18. Blaz

Blaz Guest

Catcher in the Rye is a really great book, identified with it very well at one point in my life and to some extent still do. . .SOOOOOOO much depth to it as well(It's an existential novel at its core).

19. BlueRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read it a few years ago, for the fun of it. I loved it. It's one of my all-time favorite books.

Edit: this discussion made me realize that I forgot to bring my copy with me to school. Now I'm kinda sad.

20. kaster

Two thums up and my personal HOORAY
    brilliant book, read it in school too. I think everyone can relate to a part of Holden at some point in their lives.