1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People who compare transgenderism to anorexia and bulimia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Driftr

I was recently on a YouTube video of someone who was mocking transgender people. I, as usual, went on to defend transgender people and later some prick replied with this link

Paul McHugh: Transgender Surgery Isn't the Solution - WSJ

I read through and it's basically saying that a transgender seeing themselves as the other gender is the same as an anorexic person seeing themselves as fat or a really attractive person who has BDD seeing themselves as ugly.

Does anyone have anything that they want to say about this? I personally still believe that transgenderism is not a disorder but I'm just struggling to find the words to defend this.

2. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sigh, lets see, concerning being transgender...

*It has been scientifically proven to exist using brain scans.

*it is uncurable outside of transitioning which is why medically speaking, it is recommended that people who are transgender go through multiple operations and take medication for the rest of a person's life that can be potentially dangerous and risk facing severe prejudice and social isolation.

*It is life long and does not depend on life circumstances. It also exists in all societies and has been recorded throughout history.

*we are aware of our reality, someone who has anorexia or body issues sees a distorted image of their objective reality. When you are transgender, you know what your body is but you also know that there is a descrepency between your body and innate gender which is causing you severe psychological pain, discomfort and a horrible feeling of disconnect. It can be hard to recognize when you are cis but beyond our physical bodies we also have something inside that tells us that we are male or female or both or neither. Think of it in terms of animals, animals don't have mirrors that they can look at or a way understand their physical body, yet still know that they are male or female and act accordingly, they have instinctional behavior that is connected to their gender. Transgender people have instinctional behavior that connects with the gender they identify.

In general, reading transphobic articles that have absolutely zero understanding of what it means to be transgender and are often driven by hate and ignorance is a really really bad idea.

#2 Eveline, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Hm...

That's... interesting, to say the least. Never really thought about comparing those things with it.