1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with anger?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LogicNoSense, Sep 20, 2015.

1. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I need help dealing with anger. Not annoyance or something that's easy to get over, but mind-numbing, furious, near hatred, anger.

You see, I don't exactly have a short fuse. I don't get that angry easily, but I've been brought up in a family (and sadly, still living with them) that is weird (read: wrong) if you don't smile. You need to smile and act cheerful, mind your manners, etc. If not, you're in the wrong and get scolded. Anyways, it's tiring to keep up that act, and sometimes, they drive me off the edge. I don't rebel outright-it's always a simple movement like an well placed eyebrow or the tone of my voice-that's already considered rude in my family.

When they make me really angry, I need to find a way to cool down quickly, as in less then 5 mins. So far I've tried the normal anger management like taking deep breaths and counting down to self-strangulation (not until I pass out, but till I'm slightly dizzy), and now I've resulted to simply scratching myself hard. I can't make leave the scars in an obvious place, but I need to find a way to cool down quickly without people noticing. Normal anger managements techniques don't help, so I'd like to find out how you guys deal with it. If not, sooner or later, they'll really drive me mad. Talking to them about it isn't an option too, since they simply brush me off.

I really need some help with this-thanks!

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Writing sometimes helped me in those situations - and was something a counselor suggested to me when I was struggling to deal with my angry outbursts. I'd get a notebook, and write a letter directed at the person I'm feeling angry towards - usually with a lot of swearing and insults. I always kept them, and never let anyone see them, but it made me feel better to get it off my chest, without saying or doing something I'll regret later.

3. Donteatthesushi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Release it by screaming and punching a pillow. Curse if you want and yell at the pillow about whatever you're frustrated about while punching it. you'll feel better afterwards.

#3 Donteatthesushi, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  4. TheSeeker

I recommend a fight club. But whatever you do, don't talk about it...