1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are gay men really more likely to get STDs/AIDS than lesbians?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hgyi, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Hgyi

Hgyi Guest

Well I'm sure everybody has heard about this, but how true is it?

2. Donteatthesushi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Trying to explain this is very uncomfortable and i'm not sure what i'm allowed to say or how graphic i can be on the forum so bear with me. I think so because the mechanics of sex with m/m involves bodily fluids than lesbians who use *ahem* other means, such as fingers (unless they have like a cut on their finger and the blood comes out), since most STDs being spread by bodily fluids. Though the use of "toys" could also spread STDs if they were unwashed and caked in bodily fluids, sorta like sharing needles. Using protection helps though, like condoms.

#2 Donteatthesushi, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's better to focus on safe sex for all people regardless of sexuality. It's easy to say gay men are at greater risk, but if we have the right attitude and don't take unnecessary or silly risks we can all have healthy and enjoyable sexual relationships.

4. Donteatthesushi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Agreed, that's why i check my partner's background, making sure they're clean. i also make sure i practice safe sex. Like Patrick said.

5. Lipstick Leuger

It is because semen is more in volume, like 1 to 2 tbs per ejaculate vs. miniscule blood or saliva that lesbians swap. HIV transmission is dependant on the AMOUNT of body fluids that are used to transfer it. So, males in general can transmit it easier than women, whose vaginal fluids is not that much. You can have HIV, but being a very fragile virus in general, it needs a good amount of fluids to live in. It dies very easily in the open, dry air.

6. Willa

Unfortnately, yes, but only when having unprotected sex. If you use a condom, and are only being intimate with people you trust, then you're okay. Just take care of yourself, and you should have nothing to worry about.

7. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Well there are a lot of sources out there that say this is true so.. Yeah I guess it must be!

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say that gay/bi men are much more likely to be candidates for HIV.

Theoretically, lesbians are just as likely to be candidates for a whole bunch of other STIs, such as chlamydia and the non specific bacterial ones, but the reality is that gay/bi men probably get those more often as well.

9. Demize

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Gary men are heavily prone to STDs more than any other sexuality reason being feces exposure to the open genetalia

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In theory yes. Lesbian sex generally results in fewer exchanges of bodily fluids, thereby reducing the rates/likelihood of STDs. That said, it's still always advisable to use a dental dam. As for men, most STDs are transmitted through semen, and the exchange of bodily fluids. So it makes sense that there would be a lower rate of STDs in lesbians, but it's best to always be safe.

#10 AwesomGaytheist, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's because the activities that some gay men engage in are vigorous enough to tear mucous membranes in areas that are moist and closed, so that bodily fluids can move from one participant to another. This is exactly why most cases of HIV have been transmitted through unprotected anal sex and why the receiving participant is more at risk. The active participant is also at risk if unprotected, though slightly less so. If the mucous membranes in the rectum have been abraded, any blood that might be in the passage can be picked up by the urethra while the penis is thrusting. That's because the thrusting action causes the urethral opening to widen and close with the repeated thrusting motions based on the narrowness of the opening and the friction. This can be seen when manually masturbating.

12. Donteatthesushi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is another factor, quantity of bodily fluids exchanged. This is higher in gay sexual relations than lesbian with the exception of oral stimulation. Though, yes bodily fluid exposure is the biggest difference in the gap between the STD risk between gays and lesbians.

#12 Donteatthesushi, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Anal sex (especially unprotected) in general is more risky in terms of passing on HIV. I don't think number of partners plays a huge part, since a lot of times, it's from someone you're in a relationship and trust to be clean/not cheat on you.