1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning to say No

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tim, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Tim

Tim

So, I volunteer at the Food Bank, and I'm one of the people who if they call needing someone, I come in. Naturally, I can say no, but I normally don't.

So, last week, I got sick. Friday, I had to go in, no biggie. Made me exhausted, and got worse. Monday, same deal, went in, now I'm completely out of energy. I STILL go in today, and I manage to get through the day even with my arms not wanting to work. I was glad I finally could rest!

Melody, the coordinator for volunteers comes up "So... how do you feel about coming in tomorrow from 9 to 4?" Naturally, I wanted to say No, I need to rest, but all that came out was "Probably not that long". So now I'm there tomorrow from 9 to 12:30. (Thankfully, as I wasn't at home, mom has something from 1 PM on, so I wouldnt have a way home XD).

One of the employees there overheard me say that, and knows I'm exhausted and such, and says you have a problem, and I go "I know, I feel bad when I say no, so I don't" Normally, she wouldn't have even asked me to come in tomorrow, but EVERYONE is calling in sick, so atm it's mainly volunteers there, most the employees are home sick. -.-

So now I'm working another day and bound to get worse ._.; And this time, it's sorting rotten vegetables and fruit out of the still good ones like 2 hours of today, fun stuff. I know I'm just volunteering, but still, haha, I keep ending up there from 9 AM to 4 PM, it's becoming like a full time job, just unpayed XD

Anyone else have issues with saying No to people? A few others at the food bank do XD Personally, I find it very annoying, why can't I just say "I can't do it tomorrow" XD Just wondering how many others have issues with it XD

2. sdc91

I used to, but then I realized I won't get my way by depending on other people to read me and provide charity out of their own generosity.

So now I ask for what I want, and usually get what I want.

3. Mickey

It sounds like saying no makes you feel guilty. You're doing a great service for people.
    If you're sick,tired,have something you need to do,tell them that.
    Don't feel bad for saying no! I give you a lot of credit for doing as much
    as you do.

4. Greggers

Yea i know what you mean...

Not going to say how, cause its emberessing kinda haha, but i was in a situation were i was the "go to" guy for help, and i would freely give it. When i would say no they would guilt-trip me into helping anyways. It really sucked, cause i fell for the guilt-trips every time.

In the end i just said enough is enough and stopped helping COMPLETELY. I had enough of being walked on, and they were lucky to have my help so they should have respected that. However, that was not the right thing to do either, so i slowly started helping again with the one rule that i decide who and when i want to help people.

5. Paralyzer

Tim, you're so nice :]
    Everyone is sick and you're there to help the hungry people during winter :]
    Omg, you deserve a medal

But you really do need a break, when you finally get one, I'm sure it'll be orgasmic. :newcolor:

6. RaRa

I never say no, to pretty much anything.

I think people take advantage of that....

#6 RaRa, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  7. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I suffer from that to some extent. I guess I'm just lucky that people don't ask me to do stuff that frequently.