1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

International flight help (Any experienced flyers?)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MrSecret, Sep 24, 2015.

1. MrSecret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I'm going on an International trip in a week and I'm excited but also nervous. This is my first International trip and I'm doing it by myself, so I'm trying to find out as much information as possible so I don't freak out (Which I'm sorta doing)

My biggest concern is customs. I went on a trip to California last fall, so I know you walk up and show your Passport, go through security, and then wait at for your flight. But this is International.

So here are my questions:

1: When I arrive (I'm going to Turkey) what do I do? From what I understand, I get off and go through security. But I heard I also go through Turkish immigration security?

2: I have a few flights in Turkey, and all I have to do is show them my passport/go through customs right? Nothing else?

3: When I'm going back to the US, I have to fill out a form of what I'm bringing right. Who do I give that to?

4: When getting off and back into the US, do I go through security again because it's International? I also I heard you go through immigration once again as well.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm trying to stay calm as possible and I know I'm gonna have a blast. But still...

2. Lunarchy

As I pilot... I feel I am qualified to answer this ^)^ Honestly, the best thing to do is just follow the crowd. Every country has different security measures, and every airport is a little bit different. You will be told what you need to do and where you need to go when you get there, and what steps to take. Don't be nervous, Esenboga (I assume you are going to Esenboga, it's the Airport in Ankara) Is a very nice airport, and it's pretty structured, they'll help you out with whatever you need when you get there, and where you need to go.

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    when you fly into Turkey, you will need to purchase an entry Visa before going to the customs counter. When you get off the plane, follow the signs and crowd to customs. Just before the customs counter, there will be a desk with a sign for "Visas". Make sure you have cash with you so you can pay for the Visa (you should look up online how much it costs), then after you get the visa, you will proceed to the customs counter to show both your passport and the visa you purchased. You might be able to get the Visa ahead of time, but you should check with your travel agent or the Turkish consulate near you.

this might sound complicated, but it is actually extremely easy. The only part that is a pain might be the lines as you approach the counters. Other than that, it is straight forward.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'll go through immigration and customs in Turkey as well as in the United States. Always declare everything that needs to be declared according to your declaration form, and save yourself a lot of hassle by not bringing food. You won't go through customs on domestic flights, as you haven't left the country. After customs, you would only go through security if you were connecting to another international flight, or at least that's how it is here.

This video from Delta will give you the complete rundown of what you'll experience upon your return to the United States:

[YOUTUBE]6r1qQn8mzh8[/YOUTUBE]

As for specific customs regulations in Turkey, and other general information for any country in the world that American tourists should know about, visit the U.S. Department of State's website at travel.state.gov. Here's Turkey's page: Turkey

Bon voyage!

5. kem

kem

I have flown to Turkey several times, almost 20, but I've flown from Europe, so I don't have exact information regarding visas... I get to travel to 173 countries without a visa, hooray :grin:
    I don't think you have to do much, other than show your passport and visa at the passport control booth (the lines are usually unbearably long) where you'll get an "entry" stamp in your passport, declare any goods at the customs if you're carrying a lot of cash or valuables, and possibly a security gate or two, when you land.

As for flights within Turkey, you basically do the same thing. Show your passport+visa and go through security gates when taking off and landing.
    You might get asked stuff like, "what are you doing here?" and "why are you flying to this location?" but as an American you should be fine. I'm a dual citizen of Finland and Turkey (I don't have a Turkish passport though, just an ID).
    One time I was flying from Germany after I'd spent a month there, and when I arrived at a very backward small airport, the guy at the booth was stupefied by a Turkish-speaking and -looking guy flying alone from Germany with a Finnish passport and they almost denied me entry until I said my family was here and my dad was local... fucking idiots.

I don't know about the rest of your questoins

#5 kem, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  6. MrSecret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hold on, I have to do a customs declaration when entering Turkey as well? I thought it was only for when you return to the US.

7. candyjiru

You have to go through customs in any new country where you will be leaving the airport~ just like America has laws about what you can and can't bring inside, so do other countries. The big ones are more than 10,000 USD in cash, plants/seeds/leaves/fruit/vegetables/foods that aren't sealed, and animals~ ^.^ The customs form will just be a checklist (so make sure you have your own pen or get ready to wait for everyone else to use them in front of you, lol) and it will all be in English~ Just remember to have your passport number, your flight number (this will be on your plane ticket, so no worries), and the address of where you will be staying in Turkey. If you are just staying for a short time, the hotel name and city should be enough~ Also, they will most likely do customs at your first stop in Turkey, so be prepared for that! And don't worry! There will be tons of people in the airport whose job it is to help struggling passengers ^.^ You can do it!

As an expat... I've been on way too many intl flights and have another coming up soon T.T grab some good quality earphones, pack some sealed snacks (like nutrigrain bars) and a book if you think the movies are gonna be lame~ Good luck and have a safe flight ^.^

8. Van

Van

What I did on my first two flights was what Lunarchy said - I followed the crowd. Follow what others do and ask them questions if you're not sure about something. :thumbsup:

9. kem

kem

Candyjiru explained it pretty well, yes, I'd assume you'd have to check any items you import as well as export.

10. MrSecret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Will the declaration when entering Turkey be the same as the one coming back to the US? Or are they different. Also for the address I'm staying at in Turkey, I'm going to multiple hotels. Should I do each hotel or just the first one?

11. Donteatthesushi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just follow procedure, don't talk back, be polite. If the person at customs/ticket checking asks you for passport and ticket show it to them. Relax you're going to be fine, just go have a good time.

12. MrSecret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the replies guys, I'm feeling better about it now. I still have one more question though. I have to write down how much money I spent on the Declaration when I return to the US, and I heard this applies to things people bought for me too? For example, if someone bought me a candy bar I would have to write that down as something I bought, even though I didn't. Or is this not correct? Because it seems kinda... Unnecessary.

13. DeanEverywhere

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you get lost, look at the ceiling- a lot of the directional signs hang from there. Otherwise, ask anyone who looks like they work at the airport. You can tell because they all wear uniforms. I was in Istanbul airport not too long ago, the people working there were grumpy and sometimes not helpful (could be my fault) but after asking a few people I found out the smoking area was by the food place, up the escalator > to the left past the restuarant on the outside of the restuarant barrier > walk out the door.
    People are generally stressed and sweaty in airports.
    From what I've heard The US of America has an incredibly intense security system, especially concerning countries close to/ in the middle-east. Just roll with it and you'll be fine.

A candy bar is a weird example, they probably won't care about small stuff like that. If you are carrying exotic shells, make sure they are extremely well hidden because it's illegal to remove them from the sea.
    If the candy bar example does apply, do not worry too much about getting the correct amount of money. It doesn't need to be accurate - no one is going to look that up.
    I wish you luck on your flight, and hope you enjoy your trip!

14. Donteatthesushi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you're lost at the airport look for officials, and never NEVER EVER EVER leave your bags unattended. Keep it with you at all times, make sure your stuff is all there, cell phone, laptop etc.

15. mallix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think the 2nd poster, the pilot said it best. Follow the crowd.
    You would have to go through customers first before being allowed into baggage claim.
    I highly doubt you will need to go through immigration as you are just visiting.

so it should be 2 steps
    1. Customers - they'll ask to see your passport, ask why you are visitng, how long you are visiting, and might ask where you are staying (relatives house, hotel?)
    2. once you are cleared, look for the signs for baggage claim. Once you are in the area, look at the boards with your flight number on it.

once you have your baggage you're good to go! Good luck :slight_smile:

16. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I travel on international flights very often. My three rules are:

1. Be excessively complaisant and patient. Failure to do so leads to more frustration and anger.

2. Make sure you have plenty of time. Oftentimes it takes a while to figure out where to go and what to do. During those times you definitely don't want to be in a rush.

3. Be vigilant about what's happening around you. Sometimes the flights get canceled, or you need to do something else, paperwork is missing, taxis, crowds, baggage, different country -- different regulations, security, cash, credit cards, exchange rates, visas, phones, etc. If you don't pay attention you might miss important details and end up with more troubles.