1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newspapers and magazines

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, Sep 25, 2015.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you read or regularly subscribe to any newspapers or magazines, be it print, electronic or Kindle versions? If so, what do you read or subscribe to and why? Do you think newspapers and magazines are still important?

2. AlamoCity

I don't subscribe to any magazines or newspapers at the moment, but I'll sometimes pick up a magazine at Costco at a discount or read a newspaper at Starbucks (not that often).

Newspapers: my local San Antonio Express-News, the somewhat close Austin American-Statesmen, Wall Street Journal, New York Times.

Magazines: The Economist, Southern Living or any southern cooking style magazine, various outdoor hunting and fishing magazines, Mother Earth News, Martha Stewart Living, Cook's Illustrated, and any magazine that focuses on holiday food :lol:.

I prefer print because I like how easy it is on my eyes; plus, I like the way paper feels.

I do believe magazines and newspapers are important, but also know many are trying to evolve in the digital age fighting to stay relevant to the new kids on the block (i.e. Internet news, 24-hour news cable coverage, the unleashed monster that is social media). While what is printed one day may very well be obsolete at the end of business, there is something ethereal and eternal about print. It serves as a perfect printed summary of human (and other) events, and the gravitas of paper adds a certain loftiness to it that separates it from electronic media.

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mainly I look at them online, though, as I work in a library, also in print.

Pretty much everyday, I'll page though The New York Times and The Washington Post, as far as newspapers go, and sometimes, The Baltimore Sun and the LA Times. Then there are what I call 'webzines', and each day, I generally visit Salon, Slate and The Daily KOS. And the BBC.

~

Magazine-wise, mianly ones about Audio Equiptment, such as Sterophile and Absolute Sound, or others that deal with tube related components. I also read some literary jourrnals, for poetry and fiction, mainly with a view to getting published.

I used to read more of them, though I tend to read more fiction these days, than anything else...am currently mired in Thomas Mann's novel, 'The Magic Mountain'...

4. rudysteiner

I keep up with The Guardian and Russia Today. I have the apps on my phone and read the articles that give me notifications.

5. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I subscribe to BBC Focus magazine, and I also read The Telegraph as that's what we have in the school library and I think it's fairly reliable.

6. thepandaboss

I read most of my magazines and newspapers online but hoping to get a subscription to a few soon. I'm currently subscribed to National Geographic, Forbes, Clark's (not print- on my Kindle), Mental Floss and FTM Magazine.

7. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As for newspapers, I read up on the New York Times Web version. Magazines that I get either regularly or on occasion are Esquire, Mother Jones, ESPN, The Advocate, and HRC.

8. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No subscriptions to either. If there is an interview spread of someone I'm a fan of I'll buy the magazine but that's it.

9. Joelouis

I like the Focus magazine and it's one of the first things I buy when I'm going on a long train journey. Eye Spy is another favourite of mine.

10. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I go on to The Guardian website most often, but if it starts charging for its content I will stop reading it and stick to the BBC. The Telegraph and The Times started charging and there is no way I'm paying. They're too right wing anyway.

I don't read physical newspapers much - usually just in a supermarket or shop but I probably won't buy it. I sometimes read the Metro on the bus too.

#10 imnotreallysure, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read ABC (Australia), BBC and Tagesschau for quick updates. I read the Sydney Morning Herald (not a great paper, but it's the paper we have delivered) for the headlines of the day and The Australian just as a balance (there are dozens of newspapers lying around in the morning at school and it's useful for debating when I'm given a right-wing case).

The newspapers/magazines I really enjoy are The Economist, Der Spiegel and El PaĆ­s. I sometimes read the New York Times, but I don't have a subscription to that and physical copies get to Australia a day or two late.

The rest I don't read frequently enough to mention, though I did like The Guardian on Facebook because they always covered Tony Abbott's endless screw-ups so well. Now that Abbott's gone, it's less fun, because I don't really like The Guardian's style of journalism.

12. Biker boy

Oh wow I us to get Russia today a while back someone posted it which reminded me ( I'm not Russian just love the people) anyways I currently subscribe to the official walking dead magazine and our local newspaper.. Other then me we have other subscriptions in the house which are: o: opera magazine (lol) , people, people in Spanish ( its different not just rewritten in Spanish), woman's day, bizzar, nat geo, and another fashion mag that slips my mind ( can you tell their females in the house or what lol)

13. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read News, on the Internet. Most of the News I read is related to Tech. The problem with some other types of News, is that I might end up having a little rage fit lol. Sometimes I overhear people talking about something interesting, and I Google it later.

I almost never buy newspapers. I occasionally read newspapers during my early - mid teens. I don't remember the last time I read a magazine, that wasn't in a waiting room.

14. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a member of the ARRL, partially so I can get QST monthly, I subscribe to Nuts and Volts, and Make. I regularly pick up 2600. I've not done so yet, but I've considered subscribing to QEX.

I'm a geek. I admit it.

15. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I try not to read news papers due to the one sided views they put across

16. timo

I follow some media on FB, but they're mostly Dutch magazines and newspapers. I also follow Rock Sound cause there is no good Dutch magazine about rock/hardcore music. And VICE. VICE is amazing.

Rock Sound and the NME are the only magazines I used to buy every now and then. The last time I got one was ages ago though. Thank you internet.

17. Ryu

Ryu

Every so often a guitar magazine of some description will fall into my ownership.

18. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Want free magazines?

Libraries are starting to add Zinio to their digital offerings (alongside e-books, e-audiobooks, etc). Zinio is usually a pay-for-subscription website for e-versions of magazines but through libraries they're offering free issues (to keep!) for whatever magazines the libraries "subscribe" to. (Libraries pay for the service, library customers reap the benefits).

My local libraries both have the Zinio service and between them there's 100+ big name magazines they offer, and you can download every new issue that comes out for free, and for keeps (you're not checking them out like a book and they don't expire).

All you need is a library card, a Zinio account (free), and the Zinio app on your smartphone/tablet, or you can read it on your browser (through the Zinio website).

I was waiting for a catch when I first heard about it/tried it out, but nope, I still have all the issues I've ever downloaded, I've been able to read magazines I wouldn't normally have ever come across normally, and it hasn't cost me anything because LIBRARIES ARE AWESOME.

Worth checking out!

#18 wisefolly, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2015
  19. Psaurus918

I don't subscribe but I'll pick up a magazine if I'm at the store and it looks like it has good articles. If I pick up any thing it's usually GQ, Adirondack Magazine, car magazines, watch magazines or beer/wine magazines.

When I was younger I subscribed to Car and Driver and Modern Drummer but with college I found it harder to devote time to magazines or books outside of school.

I hate reading on tablets and prefer hard copy

20. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't read the newspaper? I do read magazines for stupid gossip.