1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate being the innocent one

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by grungeteen, Sep 26, 2015.

1. grungeteen

I hate being seen as the 'innocent' one to everyone, especially those at school and my friendship group.

I'm always seen as the one who won't hurt a fly and is always shy and so innocent and would never be a rebel or bad in any way. I hate this.

Inside, I'm not like this at all. It's just I choose not to swear, I actually care about school and would rather NOT get into trouble and I'm just very socially anxious- I'm usually very quiet in public and I try to interact or speak to people as little as possible when out in public because I'm awkward and 'scared'.

I really hate this image of myself that is portrayed to everyone. It's like when I'm with my friends, they're always commenting on how I'm so innocent and sometimes they won't say dirty things around me because 'I'm so innocent'. Uggghhhh....

2. MrSkittles

omg you remind me of me. I am EXACTLY like that. My friends always say i cant hurt a fly or wont say anything bad or dirty around me. I know how you feel.

3. RainDreamer

Is that a bad thing though? They would never suspect you for a lot of things...muahahah

4. Ryu

Ryu

The good thing about being the innocent quiet person is that your history teacher won't suspect you if penises start appearing on hitlers face in books.

5. rudysteiner

My history teacher used to encourage the defacing of Hitler :lol:

6. Ryu

Ryu

Fair enough.

Okay them, if penises start appearing on henry VIII's face.

7. Acm

Acm Guest

The same thing happens to me, I find it really annoying. I used to be pretty quiet (I'm not even that quiet anymore), and it gave me the reputation of being innocent and gentle, which is weird because pretty much everyone that's ever talked to me for more than a minute knows that I'm not like that at all. Most of the people that assume that about me have never even talked to me before. They act really shocked if I swear. The only good thing is I can get away with a lot because no one suspects me.

8. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am seen like that too for most people and to be honest I don't mind at all haha.
    Actually it's fun when I say something more malicious because it often surprises people.

#8 MCairo, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  9. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take advantage of it. I was consistently blamed for doing stuff I never did when I was younger - even by my own family.

#9 imnotreallysure, Sep 26, 2015
  10. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I wish I could pass as being Innocent! Unfortunately I was too much of a bad boy! XD

That sucks, sorry to hear that! This also happened to me as well...

#10 justin88, Sep 26, 2015
  11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yea I know what you mean. It's so fucking annoying!

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

What do you believe you would gain being "not innocent"?

13. grungeteen

Because I'm always seen as being so gentil and innocent, I'm often dismissed and 'babied'. People assume I'm weak and not able to handle things. It's nit the real me but it's the one I portray to others and I can't help it.

14. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People used to think I was ' the innocent one ' before and I would proceed to laugh and say
    '' if only you knew... :lol: '' eventually they figured that I may not be that innocent and now I can't think of anyone that would use that adjective to qualify me. I almost miss it now, not the babying though, how annoying !:tantrum:

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Ah, that annoying contradiction...

Boring moral story...
    I'm similar, in a way. I'm not seen as innocent, but as of the past few years I've been labeled and treated as 'nice'. It shouldn't bother me, but the word 'nice' being used to describe me stings. It makes me uncomfortable.

Some people that knew of me or remember how I was years ago, have that to compare and contrast to. Anybody after that, doesn't. Even if somebody tells them, they find it somewhat hard to believe, because I have made impressive enough changes.

And this is where I become a contradiction. I don't perceive being kind as weak, but I am not the universal perception of kindness. I know, having taken advantage of kind people, how that goes. Anybody who couldn't see what I was doing or stop me, wasn't smart/strong/capable enough and thus didn't deserve to do so.

But despite being a "bad ass" on the outside, inside, it was a bit different. I was becoming concerned with how people perceived me, and being kind was detrimental to about everything I wanted at the time. Kind people had their money and handheld games taken from them, kind people wouldn't tell anybody if I tripped them off the bus, because they wanted to maintain the peace, kind people didn't have a backbone -- so they couldn't feel when I walked all over them.

Now, I'm making myself a tad more vulnerable than I prefer. With that comes risk. If I act or reinforce being kind, people will see me as such. Just as if I act or reinforce being stoic, people will see me as such. But here's the kicker...

I'm giving too much power to others, by worrying about how they perceive me. If I want to be tough, I have to be -- I can't just say, I punched Satan in the stomach and ripped his intestines out so I could floss my teeth with them, and be tough... unless I've actually done that. And no, I have not. That's just 2edgy4me.

Point is, if you want to break that "innocent one" role, you have to do things -- genuinely -- that challenge then change it. Part of that is to limit how much you care what others think, which does have a time and a place. For example, listening to a boy/girlfriend or a doctor, may be a good idea to listen to, while letting Billy Bigot indirectly control how you live your life is not a good idea. It's a fuckin' terrible one.

Be you.

I know, that's the most cliche bullshit one can say, but in this case it's true. Who you are on the inside doesn't always translate to the outside, because of our filters -- peer pressure, mood, culture, law, and so on. You have to be who you are, if you want others to see who you see.

Those who only want to see you as they want to, are probably not worth keeping around. I mean, do you want to leave a direct source of misery and conflict in your life? If so, by all means keep it, but you can't expect to really get anywhere. You have to surround yourself with people who better or comfort you, if you want to make it in this world. Part of who you are, and how you demonstrate your true character, is by the decisions you make and the actions you take, be they small or substantial.

You want to drop the "innocent one" charade? You have to stop letting people have too much influence on your life, and most importantly, you have to be willing to see that through.

<3

#15 Kaiser, Sep 26, 2015
  16. AshleyDi

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That is actually an excellent quality to have in life, and you will one day appreciate not being that loud, I don't care what I say to who, WTF jack A55, because what will happen to people like you, (like us) is that everywhere you go in the adult world, the bosses, and people around you will love you, and you will be like a shining star in anyone's eyes in just a few seconds of meeting them, and then you will end up building that awesomeness, because all those you knew before that were loud, annoying, attention getters, or tough guys, whatever, they end up really never changing, and everywhere they go, people generally tend to stay away from them, and when they get into trouble at work, it isn't easy for them to stay long, whereas someone like you will be able to without even trying, get around the trouble, and may even get promoted. BTW, I'm talking out of experience because I grew up the same way as you, and I am still the same, and everywhere I go, I always seem to have the best bosses, and the co-employees, and somehow without even trying, always be the employee they always wanted. LOL, call it, tuning into the universe, and using it for your advantage.

Cheers, keep your head up Yo.

17. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take advantage of it! Based on what you said though, you do seem very 'innocent'. As for me, I'm the most corrupt of my group (and probably as bad as I can get). I am able to get away with things most of the time though, since I'm very polite and generally well behaved when it comes down to it.

Being innocent has its perks. Being corrupt has it's own perks. Take what you've got and give it your best shot. Just don't try to overdo it if you try to become corrupt and all.

18. Kinky

Kinky Guest

[​IMG]

Somebody has to...

19. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have the good church attendant image and I hate it but I don't want to disappoint anyone