1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Anxiety

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by grungeteen, Sep 26, 2015.

1. grungeteen

I'm always really socially anxious and I hate it.

When I'm out in public, I try to speak to people as little as possible and will always get my friend to do it if possible. When I'm in public, especially if there are a lot of people and I'm alone, I feel like everyone's watching me and I get really nervous and I just can't stop looking around, I just get so suspicious of the people around me and sometimes I get really hot and flustered because of this.

I find it really hard to make eye contact, especially with strangers and people I'm not very close to but know- like teachers and kids at school. I'll look at them while I'm talking to them as little as possible and prefer looking off to the side or at the floor.

I actually like speaking in class but once I actually do it, I get nervous and I stutter and repeat myself even though I love public speaking?

I do enjoy being out in public but I can't stop being so paranoid and anxious?

---------- Post added 26th Sep 2015 at 10:29 PM ----------

Because of all of this, I find it very hard to fit in and make new friends. I'm always the odd one out because I'm too shy and scared to like join in even though I try. I just can't fit in, I have best friends who I'm good around but for example in camp, my best friend became really good friends with everybody in our dorm and all the girls were really good friends with eachother but I always felt like I was left out. I'm always the girl no one notices, the wallflower. Most people don't know I exist. I'm just not as funny as others, I dont think of good comebacks, jokes or convos. I don't like the same things as other girls, I just feel so different, like I'm not one of them. I hate it.

2. Mero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That sounds a lot like me.
    I really really hate social interaction, and I've never been good at it.
    I've became really reserved while growing up (long story :/)
    I made it through middle school never talking to anyone unless I had to.
    I never had any friends.
    But that all changed when I met an amazing person during high school.
    She was super outgoing, and she seemed to me like she was invincible.
    She could always hold her own, and even talks back to some of the most vicious teachers.
    I've learned that she wasn't always like this though.
    She has family issues, and she does get extremely nervous when it comes to presentations.
    But she's taught me to just go with it.
    Take baby steps.
    Sometimes the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life.
    Tip toe if you must,
    but take the step.
    Those who judge and despise you just because of your flaws or insecurities are the scums of the earth.
    You are worth more than they or yourself can give credit for.
    You are beyond your anxieties, your worries, and your fears.
    Don't miss out in life.

"When you can do what you fear most, you can do anything."
    -Stephen Richards

I hope this helps.
    Hang in there.

#2 Mero, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am also a socially anxious person. I get the whole dry mouth, sweaty palms, trembling on the inside feeling and I am also very suspicious of other people's motives. Even the most innocent gestures raise suspicion. I become clumsy and it's like my mind goes blank. I am forever worrying about other people judging me. I don't like going to public spaces (like the mall or grocery store) by myself, for that very reason. I need that safety blanket of having someone with me. I do push myself to do those things alone from time to time though, but still prefer to have someone with me. I'm able to stand up for myself when needed, though I usually get teary-eyed and nervous, and my voice sometimes becomes shaky. In social situations, I'm more likely to blend into the background than to participate in conversations or activities.

So yeah, I totally get how you're feeling. I hate being like this too, and people who don't have this problem, don't understand it and I don't know how to explain it to them without sounding weird :frowning2: