1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting fact: Americans are ten times more likely to kill an animal than Germans

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lemons123, Sep 29, 2015.

1. lemons123

That's something interesting I stumbled upon while reading the Russian version of wikipedia and randomly reaching an article about hunting.

It said the percentage of hunters in Germany is 0.4%. I'd believe that source as I can't see a reason why the russian wikipedians will portray Germany in positive light - so...later I also decided to check what the % of hunters in America is. Google gives it as a number of the population, which then I divided over the total US population and multiplied by 100 - the exact was slightly over 4%.

So another way to look at it: 4% of the US population are hunters while in Germany it is 0.4%. That's ten time difference. And as I am against these things I'd obviously favor Germany on that occasion despite being so "pro-russian" and anti-west-eu these days. But I gotta admit I believe in those facts and they speak quite positively about the German mentality vs the American one.

(I wasn't able to find figures about Russia nor UK btw, I just found a source saying how 60% of the Japanese support whale hunting - can't confirm the credibility of the source either...and sorry if this isn't the best place to debate this. However since I'm the first to discover it I'd like to share it a bit more - maybe on the European version of reddit or YA!, will see :slight_smile:.

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Re: Interesting fact: Americans are ten times more likely to kill an animal than Germ

Interesting fact: Nazi Germany had some of the most progressive laws in regards to wildlife and animals.

3. lemons123

Re: Interesting fact: Americans are ten times more likely to kill an animal than Germ

^ I'm aware of that, thanks for highlighting it.

While the Nazis were wrong on so many occasions they were OK here. Well...perhaps not having the best animal laws possible but compared to their contemporary peers they were ahead (again: for their time).

4. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

yeah... somehow i'm not surprised...

5. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Hey, some of us like to go hunting. Nothing wrong with that. Although, that statistic was kind of predictable.

6. Foz

Foz Guest

The Germans have autobahns, how is no speed limit good for wildlife conservation? :lol:

7. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Heh...I would hope that's an underestimate...in 2015, why would we kill Germans?

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Lmao

9. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Hunting is not necessarily a bad thing if it's done for the right reasons (Food, population control) and done rightly.

Now, this doesn't surprise me. If it's related to guns, you can be sure that the US takes part in that.

10. MouseKeeper

I know EXACTLY why that is... it's because... MURICA!!! F*** YEAH!!!

[YOUTUBE]uaaVGfW55v0[/YOUTUBE]

#10 MouseKeeper, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  11. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I Have to wonder how the stats will look after the huge influx of migrants has a chance to settle.

12. AlamoCity

In Germany or in America? That said, I do believe Americans have a greater culture of harvesting protein from the land (and sea). It seems to be an extension of our 2nd Amendment and many states' strong support of hunting, fishing, and public land stewardship.

Also, when I took hunter's ed, I believe it stated that about 5% of the population in America was very PRO-hunting and 5% was very ANTI-hunting and the rest was indifferent and it was our job (as hunters) to be mindful of others and not give hunting a bad name (e.g. by doing things like leaving an uncovered deer in the back of your truck as you stopped by the Waffle House :lol:slight_smile:.

13. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I see no point in hunting for enjoyment - and anyone who derives pleasure from taking the life of another sentient creature must have psychological issues no non-professional can heal.

Anyway, hunting is unpopular in the UK: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fox-hunting-poll-reveals-74-6066347

#13 imnotreallysure, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  14. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I wish I could go hunting, all we have is stray dogs. :wink:

15. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

and you would be incorrect sir (as well as insulting). There are numerous reasons one chooses to hunt that have nothing to do with mental illness. May I suggest learning more about other's way of life before passing judgement.

16. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I believe that.

17. Helicoprion

Out Status:
    A few people

It's true, I killed a dog once. And have gone fishing numerous times.

Anyways, who cares about Germans and animals when they're the ones who literally ruined the European countryside by introducing North American animals such as the raccoon. They also tried to do an insane recreation of the Aurochs, so there's that too.

This post is less than half serious in case some of you can't tell

18. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Hmm, I'd like to hear what you can offer as justification for destroying life without a purpose. I'm skeptic as of now

19. lemons123

I've always been skeptic about that, though I can name some of their supposedly "amazing reasons". Sadly it's not like you can change their mind anyway...for as long as it's legal -they'd do it.

20. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

I feel like you're inferring something into my statement that wasn't there. Who said anything about destroying life without purpose? To repeat my point, there are various reasons people hunt, and it's insulting to lay out a blanket statement that hunters suffer from mental illness. If you want to discuss some specific reasons I can give you mine and I'm perfectly comfortable to hear your arguments against those reasons.

Lemons wrote "I've always been skeptic about that, though I can name some of their supposedly "amazing reasons". Sadly it's not like you can change their mind anyway...for as long as it's legal -they'd do it."
    (I'm on a tablet and couldn't figure out how to make a second quote.)

At this point in the conversation I haven't seen anyone try to change anyone's mind, but it sounds like you've certainly made up your mind. Originally, you presented a point of data showing Americans are more likely to kill an animal than a German. I think your number is probably low but I'm not a number cruncher so that is just my hunch. But, was this information supposed to automatically get us to draw the conclusion that killing animals, or hunting, was bad? I actually am willing to change my mind (I'm bisexual after all :icon_wink ) but you have to make the point. If I don't agree I assure you I'd be civil about it. :thumbsup: