1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evolution/Big bang vs God? Faith vs Destiny?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gamer4now, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Gamer4now

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok so I have been pondering these subjects lately and seems all types of other people have different views on them. So do you believe more in Evolution/Big Bang or do you believe more in God? In no means do I want this to become a war so yeah. This includes any exceptions (if you believe the facts are right but still believe etc etc)

Now also do you believe in faith(God has a plan) or destiny(what happens will happen)? Me personally I believe more in destiny than faith. Same rules apply from above, any exceptions?

#1 Gamer4now, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  2. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Facts>Religion

Confused on what you mean by Faith vs Destiny because they practically go hand in hand.

There is a possibility of a god but it is extremely small.

#2 Serperior, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2015
  3. flitterpad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe both in evolution/big bang and other scientific theories but I also believe in God. In my opinion, if any theory is proven by science then we might as well assume that it is correct unless it is disproven. For me, my belief in evolution/the big bang and God aren't contradictory because while I am a Christian I'm not at all devout. Therefore I don't really believe in one more than the other.
    I don't really know what you mean by faith VS destiny. Faith in what?
    Personally I don't believe in destiny.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Setting it up as a mutually exclusive "Big Bang vs. Big Poof" argument is not a great way to avoid a flame war.

Somewhere along the line some others and I (and certainly a ton of others) came upon the idea that the development of the universe as scientists understand it doesn't shut out the possibility of God. Who says that the way things are wasn't his plan? The biblical "seven days" doesn't have to mean seven 24-hour periods. If the earth doesn't exist yet and you're an immortal deity to whom time is irrelevant, it could be tens of billions of years.

To sum up, I put utmost faith in the scientific process, because it works and because mistakes eventually get rooted out. But I also have a strong sense of God and believe that a lot of people who claim to know what he's all about, actually don't. He's a greater and more complex being than any can imagine, which is why it's ridiculous to say we can impose our idea of his will on other people or even deny plain empirical evidence for faith.

#4 Argentwing, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  5. AlamoCity

I believe in evolution/Big Bang (but don't completely dismiss God, but perhaps he set things in motion, though my belief of the possibilityof God can be reduced to the "God of the gaps" argument). That said, I am anti-religion in the sense that I feel many denominations misinterpret the Bible and/or use their office and power for personal gain (presitige, adulation, power, money, etc. Jesus did warn of many false prophets :lol:slight_smile:.

Do you mean fate or faith? I'm confused.

6. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm an atheist.

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe in old earth creation by God.

8. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe in evolution, and Big Bang.

Like others said before, faith and destiny do go hand in hand. Personally, I don't believe in destiny. I think that one's actions and words determine their future.

9. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Science. Why should one, out of the thousands of gods humans worship, be the correct one?

10. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm an atheist, raised under Catholic and Buddhist influences, but from all the messed up timelines from the bible that don't align with science-I don't believe in the bible.

Trying not to go overly in-depth, but taking something that is proven-dinosaurs-and the time when Adam and Eve are banished from the bible-that alone doesn't match up. If you say there were banished from the garden after the eclipse that killed off all the dinosaurs, then it still doesn't match up because God made the world in 7 days, and the dinosaurs surely didn't evolve and die within give or take 5-10 years right? (Judging on Adam and Eve's age)

Anyway...there's so many gods, so many religions. Why is it that only one is 'real'?

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You don't want this answer...

12. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Evolution or the Big Bang do not require belief to be true, they are a fact that has been proven on many occasions.

Belief in god is your own personal choice, it's up to you to ponder over the reasons for your existence, but I don't see how the two are in conflict.

I personally do not believe in faith or destiny. There is simply no need for it.

13. RainDreamer

The belief in Gods and deities does not necessitate the disbelief in science. There are countless scientists of various faith who has done their job admirably.

Science is here to discover cold, hard, empirical facts of the world. Religions are merely different ways human ascribe meanings to those facts. The two need not be in conflict of each others.

14. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Couldn't have said it better. I believe in both.

15. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I trust science and I love it, but that doesn't mean I can't have faith. I'm not religious and I don't practice any strict religion so to speak, but I do have beliefs in some bigger/higher power, in souls and afterlives for example. Some of my beliefs tie in with my culture, others are just my general personal belief that there might be something bigger out there that I can't see from my standpoint, yet it isn't strictly any religion's god or deity.

Yet I still put a lot of faith in science. I don't think science is the natural opposite of religion at all, in many cases they're similar and search for similar things and meaning in things, and they overlap a lot too. Both exist in harmony in my mind at least.

#15 Alder, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  16. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't believe that God is a being but rather is more like a force, like fate or destiny or karma or nature or The Force. So nobody snapped their fingers to create the world.

17. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Oh, but I do. ^.^ *kneels*

---------- Post added 30th Sep 2015 at 05:57 PM ----------

I believe that science is really great in the quest for knowledge. I believe in it to a great extent; though I am critical, of course, which you should be, otherwise you're not cultivating a scientific mindset.

I don't have faith in the Big Bang theory. My best guess is that's what happened, more or less, but I'm not very well acquainted with the theory, apart from a Discovery channel level of understanding. The origin of the universe is something I haven't settled my mind on yet. I don't believe anyone snapped their fingers, either, so to say.

I believe in destiny in a way. Though I think you make it yourself to an extent, and that the destiny from above is quite random in a way, though it may have meaning.

I don't believe that there is one uniform plan, at least not in a literalist Christian way.

#17 Invidia, Sep 30, 2015
  18. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL Why should one, of billions of human beings, be you?

There either is a god or there is not. If there is one, it may well be the one Christians (and Jews and Muslims) worship, or it might not. But if there is one, then it's probably one of the thousands that humans worship...it just happens to be "correct".

How does one even begin to assess the likelihood of such a thing? I guess I just don't get the "low probability that there is a god" thing...feels like the probability is either 0%, 'cause you just don't admit such a possibility; 100%, because you don't admit any other possibility; or about 50/50, because you have no clue.

Beyond that off-the-cuff analysis, what are you going to do? Count up all possible universes with gods and divide by the number of all possible universes? Ok, let's play that game. Seems to me that every universe with a god could have arisen without one and vice versa, exactly half the possible universes contain gods. So I'm back to 50/50.

So back to the OP (slightly). I think that a person who ignores what their senses tell them is foolish. An extension to that is that a person who ignores evidence (including scientific evidence) is foolish. If you ignore scientific evidence because it conflicts with your faith, then I think you have a poor faith...to be worthwhile, faith should be large enough to accommodate contradiction...if what you believe in is real, then there must be some explanation that satisfies both your belief *and* scientific evidence. Resolving (rather than ignoring or denying) such contradictions helps us to grow as people...and any god worth worshiping should want that.

#18 biAnnika, Sep 30, 2015
  19. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm an atheist and I believe in the big bang and evolution. I think that things happen just because they do and that the earth didn't evolve around us, but we evolved around the earth.

20. Jellal

It happened so long ago that to me it is irrelevant.

I guess if I had to pick one, it's easier to believe in a scientific answer. Though to be honest any cosmic idea of the universe beginning is something I couldn't fully comprehend one way or another. I don't like the idea of fate or destiny controlling the universe, because if that were true, then there is a real sick bastard out there who has a lot to answer for.

I do believe that there is truth to be found in spirituality and it can help you approach the world, others and yourself in a way that hard facts could never hope to replicate. But I derive very little truth from the literal interpretation of religious texts. I think that's misguided, if only for the way it has been weaponized to oppress and divide humanity.