1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is sexuality/gender identity as hardwired as breathing and using our senses

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Driftr

I don't really know much about sexuality and gender identity, except for (correct me if I'm wrong lol) the fact that sexuality takes place in the hypothalamus and other regions in the brain. I think gender identity takes place in the same region, but then again, I've forgotten a bit of the small research I did about sexuality/gender identity in general.

But what I was wondering was that if anyone here whose already done further research can tell me whether sexuality and gender identity is indeed as hard wired as breathing and even sensing. I know that the hypothalamus is the same region of the brain that regulates body temperature, so I guess that's a huge hint lol.

But I guess I just really want that assurance, Plus a few articles to rub it in the face of some bigots too wouldn't hurt lol.

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know exactly about this, but it does make a lot of sense for sexuality to be there from an evolutionary standpoint because we need it to survive as a species.

For gender identity, I don't know exactly where in the brain it's determined, but I do know that transgender people have similar brains to the gender they identify as. I'd guess that it's not there, because gender dysphoria is a medical condition rather than sexuality, which (nearly) everyone has; unless you're using gender identity as a colloquialism to mean femininity/masculinity or conflating it with gender roles, which happens in your cortex.

TL;DR: Sexuality is probably, gender identity may or may not be.

https://pure.knaw.nl/portal/files/515234/15106_285_swaab.pdf