1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe sexuality is fluid or fixed?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kodo, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen two perspectives on sexuality (though these obviously aren't all perspectives) that I wanted to get your opinions on.

One claims that it's fluid, and can change over someone's life. Or that, everyone is a bit bisexual and it just depends on their own open-mindedness or the people that come into their life - which determines who they end up with. Essentially this is an "anything goes" mentality.

The other claims that it's fixed. In this way, we have a hardwired sexuality from birth that cannot change but remains with us for our entire lives. Sometimes it may seem as though it's fluid, but it is in fact not. That's just us coping/denying/et cetera which interferes with our perceptions of our sexuality, which is somewhere - definitively - to be found. Therefore everyone fits somewhere in the spectrums of heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, or asexual.

What do you think? Heard any other perspectives you'd like to mention?

2. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think sexuality is 100% fluid. While some might be, I don't buy into the motion that someone's 100% straight or 100% gay. My friends are all open of our sexuality. Most of them identify as gay, bi, or pan. I honestly think it has to deal with the atmosphere that you are in. We all don't give a shit about people's sexual preference. As such, we all admit that we're not straight. And no we did not meet at some GSA or LGBT club.

A lot of people I know who identify as straight are so pushed into being straight by society that it's sad. I tried to explain to a group on "straight" friends that I know online that you can say someone is pretty without being sexually attracted to them. None of them would admit to that being the case and I think it has to do with the stigma society puts on LGBT+ people. I personally think nobody is 100% gay or straight. it's a spectrum and people just don't want to admit to it.

3. Yosia

4. Jalo

Jalo Guest

I think it really just depends on the person. I for one, have never held any lustful feelings towards a female, but who knows, it could change.

5. Posthuman666

I think it is fluid. Things change, people change. For some, they are fixed in their sexuality. And thats okay. For some, it changes, and thats okay.

6. DeadheadPride

Definitely fluid. I know a lot of people whose sexuality is fluid, and even my own sexuality is fluid. Maybe for some people it's very fluid in that one day they like men a little more than girls and another they like girls a little more than men, but for myself one day I'm straight, the next day I'm gay, the next day I'm ace, and the next day I'm bi.

7. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
  8. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  9. BlueRazzberry

Out Status:
    A few people
    People's minds change all the time. People change. I would have to say that most people's sexuality is fluid, but there's no denying that there are people who simply don't have any interest in the opposite/same sex.

10. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I also think it depends on the person. For some there is wiggle room, for others there isn't. I'm talking about potential dating or sexual partners though. I do believe that everyone has a "celebrity one exception."

11. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Well, everything in the universe changes over time, basically.
    I think sexuality is fluid for a lot of people, but there are also people whose sexuality is very rigid and does not flow about splashedy-splash.

12. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think an individual has a predisposition and they can be somewhat fluid around that baseline depending on many factors.

13. horrorgeek

People grow and change over time, and thusly I'd say so might their sexuality. However, I don't think that if someone's orientation were to change it should invalidate how they felt before.

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sexual orientation is pretty much hardwired, so whatever it is, that's what it is. If it were fluid, then people who were gay would be able to turn themselves straight (and vice-versa) and the APA published a position statement, after reviewing 60+ years of studies, and found absolutely no credible evidence that there's any indication that sexual orientation can be changed.

Now... that said, Kinsey's work from the 1940s (the largest study of human sexuality ever undertaken) put sexual orientation on a continuum from 0 to 6, and ndicates that only about 10% of the population is totally Kinsey 0 (totally straight) or Kinsey 6 (totally gay.) That puts everybody else somewhere on the spectrum between gay and straight.

From what we know, it seems that an overwhelming majority of people tend to cluster at one end or the other (0-1 or 5-6) with a smaller percentage more toward the middle (2-4).

Where we get into trouble is when we start looking at fluidity (if we define it as varying preference for both males and females) and believing that it represents an actual change in orientation. The reality, at least according to what we currently know, seems to be that orientation itself is fixed pretty early in life, and wherever it's fixed is where it tends to stay.

Finally, orientation can be fixed but latent; so, for example, someone can be 12 years old and absolutely positive s/he is opposite-sex attracted, but as s/he gets older, discovers that in fact s/he is totally same-sex attracted. This isn't an actual shift in orientation but an emerging of true orientation from a denial state.

I hope this helps.

15. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find sexuality goes hand in hand with a person's mindset. Sometimes I may be straight, and other times, bi. It all depends on what the person feels, so for me, I believe it's very fluid. No one should have to conform themselves to a single aspect of their sexuality.

16. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I more or less agree with what Chip said. I think sexuality is, in some ways but not all, fairly fixed- yes there is definitely some degree of fluidity, but I don't think fluidity is necessarily a change in sexual orientation but rather changes in perspective, sexual conduct, etc.

A woman might have only felt attractions towards men for many years, but discovers attraction towards women later on- her attractions towards men might then fade in light of that as she re-evaluates what she felt towards men and what she really desires, or her attraction to men might remain there too. It doesn't necessarily mean she turned gay, or turned bisexual, she might've just realized more clearly where her attractions lie at that stage.

It can be fluid to some extent around a certain baseline/fixed position, if that makes sense. While some people's attractions fluctuate over time for a number of reasons, their disposition doesn't necessarily change, and I wouldn't walk up to a lesbian and tell her that her sexuality is inherently fluid and she might want to be with a guy someday.

Then again, I can't speak for everyone and this is merely my own perspective I'm speaking from. The simplest way to put it is that some people's sexualities are far more open and fluid over time, but other people's are very much fixed and pretty much do not budge throughout their entire lives.

All in all, orientation isn't 100% concretely rooted in spot (someone may have a disposition to experience attraction to all genders, but at some periods of their life feel far stronger attraction to one gender over another- fluid yes? But there is still something quite innate- that disposition is fixed), and I know people who's attractions and sexual conduct have definitely been more fluid over time (though I don't know their full story either), but I don't think sexuality/orientation can be fluid enough to be changed or else those terrible "treatments" to turn gay people straight would work, and they don't, at all.

Just my opinions at this point. If anyone wants to offer different ways of seeing it, I'm interested in hearing different perspectives on this.

#16 Alder, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  17. Acm

Acm Guest

This is basically how I see it, and I also agree with what Chip said.

18. photoguy93

Frozen?

So technically I could be fluid.....but I'm not going anywhere, ha!

Seriously, though... I don't ever see myself being with a woman. I just can't imagine it.

19. C P

C P

I knew I shouldn't have opened this damn thread.

I can't help but hope that some of you are seriously trolling, or just being willfully obtuse.

This type of thing makes me lose so much hope in this 'community' sometimes.(doesn't surprise me that most of the posts are from multisexuals either)

To put it bluntly, most of you here are typically among the people who have the nerve to get mad at people who participate in bi-erasure; Well guess what? You're doing the same damn thing, but in reverse.

How many frickin' times do gays and lesbians have to commit suicide, be forced to go to/have gone to ex-gay therapy with no change whatever outside of even worse hatred for themselves, lead absolutely miserable 'straight lives', etc. for people to get that this 'everybody is a little bi' is a crock of shit? There are countless people everyday who put themselves through literal hell in order to be attracted to the opposite sex, but it's obvious that that doesn't mean jack to people with the mindset that is overwhelmingly shown as popular in this thread and it's ridiculous.

If most of you seriously believe everybody is 'fluid', then I challenge you to NOT complain when you hear others say that bi/pansexuals don't exist, otherwise you're being completely hypocritical.

20. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My sexuality was hardwired from birth.