1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you face blind? (w/ quiz)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by candyjiru, Oct 2, 2015.

1. candyjiru

Have you heard of face blindness or prosopagnosia? It's a condition where you find it incredibly difficult to recognize faces, even of people you know well! I am moderately face blind, so I'm pretty interested in the subject~ ^.^

Common symptoms are (taken from here)

1. You have failed to recognize a close friend or family member, especially when you weren’t expecting to see them.

2. When you meet someone new, you try to remember their hairstyle or a distinctive feature rather than their face.

3. You have trouble following films or television shows that have more than a few distinctive characters.

4. You have failed to recognize yourself in the mirror and/or have difficulty identifying yourself in photographs.

5. When someone casually waves or says hello in the street, you more often than not don’t know who they are.

6. When someone gets a haircut, you may not recognize them when you see them again.

7. You have difficulty recognizing neighbors, friends, coworkers, clients, schoolmates (etc.) out of context.

If any of these sound like you, or even if they don't, there is a test for face blindness online~ You can take it here to see how well you can discern faces~ ^.^

Quiz: How Well Can You Discern Faces?

2. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm the exact opposite. I never forget a face. Even if I don't know you and I've only seen you once, assuming it was longer than a mere glimpse, you are in my memory bank.

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh definetely not. Faces are the most attractive thing to me on a person.

4. TeaTree

I once had a boyfriend and after three weeks of being together I saw another guy and approached him smiling, thinking it was him but wasn't.
    Not long ago I asked a colleague if she is new in the company, and it turns out I already knew her and was chatting with her a few times but didn't realize it was her.

And a lot of other stories like this.

Otherwise faces are really important to me when connecting with someone or in a relashionship...

So yeah, I might qualify in some degree :slight_smile:

5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. I recognise the same people nearly every day whenever I use the bus. I also recognise faces that I've seen once - even if it was years ago.

I was going to take that quiz but it's too long.

#5 imnotreallysure, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  6. YinYang

I usually remember faces REALLY well. I will almost never forget a face. The only thing is, number 3 is pretty much spot on for me. For some reason, if there are too many characters in a movie or TV show, I get really confused :confused:

7. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Yeah, that's how I am too. Names however, I suck at. I lived with a girl for almost two months before I could remember her name.

8. YinYang

Yeah, I'm just like that, too. If I've just met someone, chances are, I have no idea what their name is.

9. TheStormInside

2, 3, and 7 apply to me. I'm not great at recognizing faces. I don't have nearly as much trouble with people I know well, but with people I've met passingly I could walk right by them and never recognize them. It was a bit of a problem when I worked in retail and "lose" customers that asked me a question five minutes before, but it doesn't really effect me so much now as I don't have as much interaction with random people.

10. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe slightly.
    1. You have failed to recognize a close friend or family member, especially when you weren’t expecting to see them.

Rarely. Mostly when I was younger.

2. When you meet someone new, you try to remember their hairstyle or a distinctive feature rather than their face.

Personality, name, voice, clothes, job, and so on. To put this into perspective, I remember many names of my primary school classmates. And I mostly think of my stalker as "the ENFJ with the Audi."

3. You have trouble following films or television shows that have more than a few distinctive characters.

Rarely. I might get confused by who is who, but I usually understand what is going on in film/TV. I usually find it easy to recognise anime characters. I'm more likely to fail to recognise characters in manga.

4. You have failed to recognize yourself in the mirror and/or have difficulty identifying yourself in photographs.

Nope. My being a trans guy has nothing to do with this. I recognise myself in pictures/mirrors, even if my looks don't exactly feel like me.

5. When someone casually waves or says hello in the street, you more often than not don’t know who they are.

Yeah. That gives me extra incentive to be polite to everyone!

6. When someone gets a haircut, you may not recognize them when you see them again.

Maybe. If they're important enough, then I'll have other ways to recognise them.

7. You have difficulty recognizing neighbors, friends, coworkers, clients, schoolmates (etc.) out of context.

Yeah. I might have mild prosopagnosia. Sometimes I ask someone what they're going to wear, and that can give the wrong impression. Anyway, I can tell if I find someone aesthetically pleasing.

I failed the test lol.

11. candyjiru

Lol~ oh my! Well at least you learned something new about yourself ^.^

I guess I should put my answers as well~~ *steals Lawrence's formatting*

Not really, though this may be because I only see my family when I'm specifically going to see them XD;;;

Always! I always look at someone's hair first and when someone changes it even a little, I notice (which most people tend to take as a compliment, so yay! lol)~ I also tend to describe people as "nothing face" if they don't have something specific that sets them apart (like beautiful eyes, or piercings, or beauty marks, etc) (also, I'm sorry to all the nothing faces out there!!! You just look like everyone else in the world to me!! T.T)

Always... if there are too many people with similar hairstyles (like, two guys with short blonde hair, or 2 girls with long, wavy hair, etc...), I get pretty confused and really have to focus... One time I even asked someone, "how many girls are in this movie, again?" because I couldn't tell if two of the girls were actually the same person T.T

No, but I do tend to think I look like a total different person depending on the camera angle... @.@;;;;;

Yes... T.T I usually watch people's eyes to see if they recognize me and then am like, "Oh, this is the right person," or "Oh, this person knows me... who... is... it..." and then pretend I know them until they give some clue as to how they know me... if not, I just leave being like, "yeah, I have no idea who that was..." and make sure not to make any promises with them XD;;;

It depends... as long as I meet them where I'm expecting to meet them, I'll notice their hair is different and then go from there~ luckily for me, most people brag about their haircuts on social media so I can see it there first haha~

Yes... again with the always meeting at specific places and waiting for them to recognize me first (which is easy, since my platinum blonde hair really stands out XD;;; )

12. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw a documentary about face blindness once, it was quite interesting. I'm terrible at remembering faces, but when I see a name written down it's stuck in my mind forever.

13. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's interesting. I rarely ever forget faces though. Or names for that matter. I guess I just notice people a lot?

14. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm really good at faces and names. I'm just really good at knowing my surroundings if that makes sense. There was only one time that I remember where a guy came up to me and was saying hi and acted like he new me, but I'm pretty certain we didn't know each other.

There have been a few times where I would run into a old friend and I know it's them, but I'm like what could they be doing here. So then I'm like nah it can't be them.

15. BigGayAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Great at remembering faces.
    HORRIBLE at remembering names.

I would rather remember faces anyway! :wink:

16. Yami

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Your accuracy in the experiment was: 60%

The average score on this test is around 80% correct responses for adult participants.
    A score of 60% or below may indicate face blindness.

Dafuq was this? Apart from the test I took today, it was the hardest test I've taken. I guess I'm not face blind, just not the very best at it.

17. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    50%

I guess I am a fail.

18. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

When I meet a person I forget their face or name, or both.

19. Ryu

Ryu

I'll forget there face if I don't care for them. If I do, i'll remember.

20. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just took the test-it was painfully wrong. I have some problem with memorizing faces, but only if I'm not close to you (so relatives and parent's friends...all over the place). For the test I scored 63%. Below 60% is considered bad, and the average is 80%.