1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's with extroversion?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andstillimhere7, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I feel like there is so much desire for extroversion in this society. They want great leaders to be social and extroverted, but what about us intros? I know there are ways to become an introverted leader but there is so little opportunity. What are your opinions?

2. CyanChachki

I think a large part of society wants everyone to get out and have fun to explore life and such and us introverts look at it and either feel crummy about ourselves or indifferent towards the situation. There's nothing wrong with being either, however, too much of both could be damaging. As far as world leaders go, I think that they can be both. We just see them as extroverts because they're always out and about.

3. Yosia

Introverts are usually great listeners and doers, compared to being over-speaking and bossy. That's what makes them so admirable and great leaders.

But we live in a broken society where all you have to do to be successful is bullshit your way through everything and boss people around to do your bidding, that's why extroverts are so admired by the upper people in society.

I'm not saying all extroverts are like this however. Most extroverts use their extrovert-ism very admirably. These can be amazing leaders because of the motivation they can provide, and the information they can give.

The tip to being a good leader is to understand the people below you and to respect them, then they'll respect you.

Both introverts and extroverts have advantages. There is no better of the two imo.

4. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's true, extraversion is much more valued. I mean, being an extrovert has it's advantages, but I personally think it's overrated. & as an introvert, I often feel pressured to act in ways that just don't match my personality or what I feel comfortable doing. My social anxiety doesn't help, but I just wish introversion wasn't so looked down upon. I don't think people should have to change that aspect of themselves to fit society's molds of what is acceptable.

5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm extroverted, and there is nothing I enjoy more than munching on a bunch of introverts for breakfast.. yum.

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Society favors extroverts, which is deeply unjust. Sad face...

7. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the deal is that 70% of people (at least in the US) are extraverts. So we introverts are seen as not-the-norm...i.e., not normal...because we aren't...we are (wait for it) a minority...and you thought you were just gay (or bi or whatever)!

It's like anything else. What's up with morning people? Everybody seems to think that you can't be virtuous if you're sleeping until 10am. What is so badass about getting up at 5am if you're in bed by 9pm?? If I had my druthers, I'd be staying up until 2am-ish and getting up around 10am. What makes the earlier schedule more virtuous? It's closer to what most people do. Oh. I'm in the minority again. Fuck the majority.

Anyway, the difference between introverts and extraverts is where we get our energy. Extraverts get energy from being around people...like vampires (imnotreallysure is *not* just kidding). Introverts get energy from solitude. Both have their place in leadership.

In fact, where you get your energy is fairly independent of leadership qualities. You can be influential and effective in writing or 1-1 or in groups, regardless of whether you are gaining or losing energy from doing so. But since introverts tend to lose energy through social interaction, they tend not to *enjoy* developing those 1-1 and group skills; extraverts *do* enjoy developing those skills, but maybe have less patience for sitting down alone and writing. But even if we don't *love* developing a skill, we can still develop it...and master it.

So really, I'd have to say that it's not that people want leaders to be extraverted...but most leaders do need to be effective in interacting with people, and extraverts are the ones who most enjoy developing those skills. If you're an introvert and want to be a leader then I recommend either: gaining the necessary people skills; or finding a venue where you can be influential through writing or other non-people skills.

#7 biAnnika, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'm an introvert, but I can do what is required which gives me the appearance of an extrovert.

One thing to keep in mind, there are introverted leaders. But they're the ones behind the scenes, sometimes, but not always, the puppet master behind it all. Instead of risking their face being attached to something, they use others in the event things go wrong. If things go wrong, well, they weren't the ones out and about in public, were they? If things go right, well, the ones being strung along will acknowledge the introvert's success.

Society values an extrovert because they show and prove their skills. And they may be good at what they do, but get them behind closed doors or in a small circle, they may become mediocre.

Besides, I don't look at how somebody presents or speaks, when it comes to leadership or potential. I look at what and who they surround themselves with, because a genuinely talented leader has a network. Only an idiot banks on a single individual, especially themselves, to carry the weight of an entire civilization... but many folks don't seem to catch this, particularly with all these one-man army politicians.

#8 Kaiser, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  9. Spirits

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You should admit that even introverts enjoy the company of extroverts (opposites complete each other?^^)

As for leaders, The main thing that they have to worry about is how to gather as much followers as possible and how to make a huge impact on people's thoughts.
    You can't do that if you're an introvert since you must be a fluent talker.

10. candyjiru

I think there are lots of different kinds of extroverts... There are extroverts who only like the sound of their own voice, and there are extroverts who like to party and be in the spotlight, and there are extroverts who like to be surrounded by friends, etc~ In the same way, there are lots of different kinds of introverts~ Unfortunately, people tend to see in black and white, with extroverts imagining a person who can't even stammer out a "hello" when they think of introverts, and introverts imagining Donald Trump when they think of an extrovert XD;;;

I think a lot of people are a mix of the two, but it's usually the loudest people that we listen to... When someone is speaking loudly and with authority, we tend to feel that they are passionate about what they're speaking about, aka, a good leader... but introverts can do the same thing, and I think that there are a lot of introverts (and introverted leaders) hiding under the guise of extroversion~ ^.^

11. Kinky

Kinky Guest

Eat me. I volunteer as tribute.

Anyway, I'm introverted, shy, and borderline anti-social. Life's good.

12. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I dont know why anyone would want to be extroverted. Introversion grants you the ability to single out the few people in your life who really matter (quality) while extroverts just have the skills and energy to deal with everybody else's bullshit (quantity)

13. Spirits

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Even extroverts can tell the difference between real friends and fake ones.
    For example, I only trust 3 of my closest friends , yet I still hang out with every one else and talk to any one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    But that doesn't mean that I will be trusting them for my life.

14. Chi and Bashful

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm definitely an introvert but within the past couple of years I've started playing the game a little more I'm still in my own head a ton and I won't be the life of the party but give me a few drinks and I can be

15. You should also consider that extroversion and introversion are very broad terms. I'm an ISTJ, and some say that I don't exhibit the traits of an introverts while others do.

I'm sure there are many leaders of many personality types.

16. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    And don't forget extroverts somewhat recently have added a new aspect of desirability to their personality: they are usually the ones who post pictures of the great food they're about to eat at such and such restaurant, what car they just purchased, the movie they're going to see, then the movie they're at, then the review of that movie, etc... for their "friends" and "followers" to see. Basically they offer free publicity for a lot of companies/corporations, so it's a desirable trait from their point of view.

(This applies more to the original post than how the whole thread developed)

#16 awesomeyodais, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  17. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Whats the point in spending time with anyone you dont know or trust enough to call a close friend? I just don't understand. Well, I know the friendship has to develop at some point, but wouldmt you rather use careful observation to determine which ones are worth the effort?

#17 kageshiro, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  18. C P

C P

Dunno; being around people drains my energy too much that I don't ever get a chance to see the desire. :lol:

19. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In my high school the student gov were the extrovert outgoing people. They were good at being a leader, but some weren't. I know this is high school election and that its BS in itself because it's a popularity contest, but even in early stage in life extroverts are desired. Extroversion isn't bad, but really? Why so much emphasis on being outgoing and social. Of course you have leadership in clubs and other parts, but they are not well recognized as it should be and that's where most important leadership skills can be seen.

20. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mind that there is a societal lean towards extroversion. :slight_smile: Leading groups is too stressful for me anyways :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Being able to spend time with yourself (and simply enjoy aloneness) is an art that introversion enables you to master.