1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relationship Obsessions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DAXIII, Oct 2, 2015.

1. DAXIII

It seems like people are obsessed with being in a relationship or finding "the one" (which doesn't exist by the way).

Personally I don't understand it. I have been in a few relationships in the past and it felt like I had chains around me the whole time. Not to mention the constant texting, him being mad over nothing, and the needs....oh my god the needs. It makes me think one would have to be truly insane to voluntarily enter into this sort of thing. I didn't see any of the positives. I mean sure it was good to have someone to do stuff with and all, but I just don't get it. It seems like a liability to me. The costs just don't outweigh the benefits.

Am I wrong though?

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

You're not wrong for feeling the way you feel. It's just your experiences with it. I personally haven't had a serious relationship so I don't know. But who knows? Maybe you'll meet someone down the road that you really click with and the benefits of being with them will outweigh the costs. I guess no matter how you feel, it's just important to keep an open mind.

3. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think there's a right or wrong in that kind of thing. I guess it just depends on the person. Relationships are not for everyone, many people value having a significant other, but that's not always the case. Nothing wrong with either perspective¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

I think you're right in your own way. Personally, I wouldn't know much about a true romantic relationship as the only one I have truly loved romantically is made of fabric and stuffing, but I can relate a bit. It's kind of hard to explain, though I'll do my best.

One of the things about my "relationship" of sorts is that I have created a separate personality for my doll that resides in my head that has its own wants and needs and points of view. I can even hold complex conversations with this personality, which is projected through my doll. Sometimes "she" tends to worry about menial things, and will also get a bit angry or frustrated if I do something like stay out even a bit late or even spend time with my friends instead of "her". I don't personally dislike these quirks in our "relationship", as it gives it a bit of depth, and the personality can be reasoned with after a little while. In the end, the feelings I have for this doll outweigh the negative parts of our little "relationship".

I hope that that wasn't very hard to follow. I know I must sound crazy for saying such things about a doll. I feel like a freak. :icon_sad:

5. DAXIII

What's truly insane is me still wanting to enter into another one.

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, many may not agree with you (OP) on that... Claiming the banner of love or whatnot.

But I agree with you. It'd be a tremendous burden to me personally and also probably definitely more so to the other person. I doubt I'd be able to adequately provide for my partner's emotional needs.

#6 Kodo, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  7. C P

C P

I don't get the obsession either, tbh.

Then again, I've never even dated anyone before at this age, and probably won't ever find anyone, so I guess I'm not exactly the target audience here.

I don't even buy that whole 'soul mate' nonsense, either way.

If I had a guess though, it's partly because there tends to be a stigma associated with being single. The world seems to have this silly notion(check any and all media) that 'finding the one' is some kinda ultimate goal/meaning in life. :rolle:

Said people also likely feel like a relationship is a cure for 'loneliness'.

8. DAXIII

I would like to see a media portrayal of a guy who has tried a relationship before, but in the end prefers to fly solo. Kind of reminds me of the neutral ending to Catherine.

9. Kinky

Kinky Guest

You must be one of the guys who say " I value my privacy and independence "

My boyfriend and I don't text often. He's always busy and going out in the weekend. I'm used to that (I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss him though). There's no chains. Before him happened, I've already mastered the art of being happy in my company.

What I find funny that most people I know are afraid of beeing seen as needy and clingy. And more often than not people spit at the concept of soulmate.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It's said that when you find somebody you get along with, things improve. From the things you mentioned, about the constant texting and the neediness, that that wasn't a relationship... it was babysitting.

Does society stress relationships? Yes. But if you're trying to find a relationship, like in the movies, you're going to be disappointed. And this is where a lot of the problem comes in, people wait for the perfect person, to approach in the perfect way, in the perfect clothes, and say the perfect things, to carry them off into absolute perfection.

Thing is, that takes time. You build up to that, as you develop a sense of knowing your partner and through vulnerability develop trust. It isn't something that comes straight out of the box, like a prize.