1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planned Parenthood

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Serperior, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Opinions?

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A great organization that does great work. The "sting" videos that were released are highly edited to fit that organization's radical anti-choice agenda.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a fantastic organisation whose model I'd love to see introduced here nationally.

Their work in providing safe abortions, sexual health checks and other services to virtually anyone who wants it is fantastic.

I should hate to see it become the scapegoat for the shutdown of government as the nutcases in the congressional Republican Party want, though fortunately PP services wouldn't be affected by a shutdown because of the nature of their funding.

4. candyjiru

If you don't want people to get an abortion... then make sure they have access to affordable birth control~ If you don't want "Obamacare," then you'd better support low-cost and free clinics~

Also, it's illegal for tax dollars to fund abortions (except in the case of risk to the mother, incest, and rape victims), so people need to calm down... totally ridiculous to close down the only place where many Americans can get affordable health care because one of the things they do is something that you are not funding, and are not being forced to do yourself. >.>

5. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I support abortion, so it's nice.

6. AKTodd

I think we should strip Congress of its funding and give it to Planned Parenthood.:thumbsup:

Todd

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always fully supported them. They also used to do outreach to LGBT youth, at one point; not sure if this is still the case, but growing up it was via Planned Parenthood that I first heard it was OK to be gay, back in high school.

Also, I heard the author Lemony Scickett and his wife are giving them $1 Million, which I found moving. And I really liked his books!

#7 HuskyPup, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  8. Lyana

I've been to a Planned Parenthood clinic here (well, its French equivalent -- they both belong to the IPPF). I wanted a particular contraception method that I knew would be harder to get one from a regular ob-gyn, so I went to Planned Parenthood and had a conversation about that. It turned into my first gyno exam. It could have been awkward and uncomfortable but everyone was very professional and welcoming.

The doctor gave me all the information I needed, told me why the contraception I wanted was not not usually recommended in my case, but gave me a prescription once she was confident I understood the facts. I ended up not getting it, since I broke up with my boyfriend and started dating someone who has no chance of getting me pregnant, but the experience was a good one. I also got to read pamphlets about sexuality, sexual orientation, and AIDS while in the waiting room. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The clinic is very close to where I live by foot, so if I needed any help or information or treatment regarding my sexual health, I'd go again. I really think what they do is great and necessary. Of course, in France the pro-life debate is almost nonexistent, so there's hardly any controversy over Planned Parenthood, but it's not just about abortion -- a large part of their mission is fighting STIs, educating people, and providing access to contraception. And yes, we need those.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Planned Parenthood people are sweeties. One of my very best friends used to work for them.

They do important work, and if you hate them, I think your morality is very suspect.

10. Yosia

They seem like good people.

11. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

*Waits for it...*

13. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Unintended Pregnancy in the United States

It appears that only 49% of people planned their parenthood. I think more people should prepare properly to prevent possible unplanned pregnancies. In regards to the organisation, I know nothing about it other than the crazy shit you see in the news.

14. skittleALY

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I support it and think it's needed in our country. I went there once to get birth control (I wanted to use it so that I could skip my period for a month because I was going to Mexico) because I was too afraid to visit an actual gynecologist at the time since I didn't actually need it as a form of birth control.

It makes me scared to think what could happen without it. For instance, what happened in Indiana when funding was cut off. There was nowhere that offered HIV testing in the area after funding was cut off, which caused an HIV outbreak to occur.

15. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    People keep talking about abortions. Don't they do anything else besides that?

16. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have mixed feelings about Planned Parenthood.

On the one hand, I like what they're doing with sex ed/health counseling, providing needed contraceptives and whatnot, and they also even offer HRT to trans-people at some locations. This is very needed and they do a great job with it, so far as I can tell.

However, I'm pro-life also. I don't and won't support abortion, which is one of PP's big things. So that I'm not particularly fond of, despite their help in other areas.

Like I said, a mixed bag.

17. Lipstick Leuger

I really don't know why everyone focuses on abortions with Planned Parenthood. They use I think less than 5% of their money and their services for this. Yes, they do give you resources if you are seeking one, but they also give you resources if you don't want one. They provide education, health tests and screenings, low cost contraception and other low cost services to both males and females. They provide shelter resources for abuse victims, ANY type of abuse. So, let's just put this into perspective here............

If Planned Parenthood were guns, nobody would give a shit about them at all. Look at how many laws and changes people are willing to make after all the mass shootings in this country. The answer is ZERO. That's because it's easier to force a bunch of woman into something they are not ready for, than it is to try to force a bunch of males to give up their guns. Huh.

18. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Planned Parenthood is awesome! :grin: