1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any other LGBT pilots on EC?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aviator182, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Aviator182

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I was wondering if there were any other gay pilots on EC. Weekend flyers or professionals.

I am a Certified Flight Instructor (CFI), plan on teaching for a couple more years and then possibly going to an airline. I was wondering if you're out to the aviation community and how they responded. Good or bad.

Also, once I come out I plan on joining the Nation Gay Pilots Association. Has anyone on here joined and if so do you like it, is it worth joining? I have read that they have fly ins for their members and events? Not too sure on that.

This question is directed towards any airline people out there. I know that the interview for an airline position is a long process. During your interview were you asked about your sexual orientation? If so did you disclose that info? Also, if you are out how has the flight crew reacted? Hopefully it's one of if you do your job no-one cares.

Thanks for any input and happy flying :slight_smile:

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a certain friend who has studied the airline industry and has an aptitude/personality befitting either a pilot or flight attendant depending on what they choose to do. This person has told me that it is one of the most accepting professions available.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for the proper introduction. :wink:

As someone with aviation in his blood, I completely relate to your career aspiration. What prevents me from flying is depression. But to answer your question, there are many, many gay pilots. The airline industry is the most gay friendly industry out there, arguably. The industry has actively courted LGBT employees, not just pilots and flight attendants, and the airlines were some of the first companies that offered benefits to same-sex partners, and this was a couple decades before marriage equality.

Here's the NGPA's list of upcoming events: Upcoming Events - NGPA

I used to be a member and all I really got out of it was their newsletter in my inbox every month, but then again since I've never actually held a pilot's license, I didn't get to attend any of their events. Membership is free, though higher-level memberships have annual dues.

I know they do one big get together in some warm-weather destination every winter, but outside of that, I'm not sure of any other fly-ins or that sort of thing. I'm sure that in the bigger cities there may be a more local group of gay pilots who have their own get-togethers that you might be interested in. That's the beauty of the Internet.

Good luck, and happy jetting!

#3 AwesomGaytheist, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  4. theinsidellama

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I work in the industry, on the ground side of things... Everyone I work with at my team has been pretty good to me, although we pride ourselves as being one of the "friendlier" airlines up there. :slight_smile:

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dad wants me to be a pilot but I'm not interested.

6. C P

C P

I'm not one myself but like almost two years ago I had managed to talk to one who lived locally at the time...really cute redhead, heh.

7. Aviator182

Thank you everyone for the info. I have friends that fly for the airlines, but did not want to ask them about this.

@Awesomegaytheist- While flying with depression for a career might not be possible, you might be able to fly for fun with a sport or recreational pilot certificate. Talk to an AME and they'll be able to give you more info. Maybe through a Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA) or a Special Issuance (SI). It all depends on the level of depression and treatment. The regulations are always changing. Even people on some anti-depression medication are able to get a first class medical and fly for a living.