1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If scientists ever prove sexual orientation is innate, do you think...?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Oct 5, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Let's say that scientists have found proof, with 100% factual evidence, that sexual orientation is not a choice and that it's hardwired in a person and cannot change. If this ever happens, do you think people's opinions of the LGBT community will change or do you think they will still believe it's unnatural, sinful, immoral, etc.

Basically, I feel like 1 of 2 things will happen. I feel like some people may react like:

"Nope. It's still a choice. The evidence scientists found is not real evidence. It's a myth. It's still unnatural and just not right."

or like:

"Okay, congrats for scientists for finally determining what causes a person's sexual orientation. But it's still not right. My religion says it's a sin and that you guys are an abomination. My religion asks you guys to remain celibate. So, have fun staying celibate, while I enjoy having sex with my wife right now."

^Okay, that last one may be a bit extreme. But I feel like people will either refute the evidence given to them or admit that the evidence is true, but still view us as wrong because of their religion. What do you think? Again, this is just a hypothetical situation. Scientists may or may never find a definite cause for sexual orientation.

2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Here's an analogy that I think can perfectly answer your question.

People can still racist even though we know people don't choose their skin color.

Though there may be a lot of people that would accept LGBT people after knowing that it's not a choice, there may still be a lot of people who would say "then be celibate" or "do whatever you want, but stay out of marriage" or something like that.

Hell, 97% of climate scientists agree that climate change is man made. Does that stop it from being one of the most politically debated topics of modern times? There's a hell of a lot of evidence that proves that being LGBT is innate, but that doesn't seem to stop people from arguing against it.

#2 Skaros, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People who oppose LGBT rights tend to have issues with facts, and with people who are different from them. So nothing will change. They'll start discrediting the data.

4. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Nah, assholes will still be assholes.

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would think it would motivate some to search for "cures" before the baby is born.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People already know race isn't a choice but they hate based on that too. Difference is a point of contention, and the fact that you can't tell a gay person just by looking (except in certain scenarios) means we might even be more insidious in the minds of the worst holdouts of hatred.

7. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's a fair point. I never thought about that but you're probably right. I also was just thinking that some people in other countries can even be killed if they're found out to be gay. So, if scientists ever find what causes sexual orientations, then that may not be a good sign in the long run, especially for people in those countries.

8. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I think people will still have a problem with it. It's already pretty clear that it's genetic and innate, not something people choose, yet people still choose to be in denial about that and blame LGBT+ people for being the way they are.
    Also, regardless of the reasoning, I think there are still a lot of ignorant homophobes who think it's "unnatural" and I don't think anything could change the minds of people like that, because they're about as stubborn and ignorant as a person can be and honestly not worth it.
    Many people who feel that way "for religious reasons" will probably still think that LGBT+ people should remain celibate or just try to conform to straight society.

It has been proven time and time again that people like that won't listen to logic and fact, all they care about is maintaining their own ignorance no matter the cost and no matter how ridiculous their "arguments" to it may be.

I think cultural change is the only thing that can get to people and over time I think there's hope that at least in some parts of the world, each new generation will be a bit less bigoted than the last. I mean, we're already a lot better off than before. I think it's just a matter the LGBT+ people getting more recognition and awareness and society getting more used to it.

9. InfinityonHigh

Someone got to it before me, but if people find out how sexual orientation is formed, scientist might start looking for a "cure". Actually this is already happening. If you research more on congenital adrenal hyperplasia, you will know that this condition gives a fetus with XX chromosomes a much higher chance of being LGBT. (As in people with this condition are more likely to be non straight or non cis) There's this clinic that's giving pregnant people that are carriers of the condition this medication that stops the masculinizing effects on the XX fetus (though it does nothing to cure this condition in any way, and the safety of the medication is not established) so that the fetus won't end up being gay or trans.
    The generation that's the most homophobic is going to die out (literally), but homophobia or transphobia will probably never be completely gone. People in later generations are probably going to be like "homophobia is over!" But gay people are likely still going to experience microaggressions, just not as blatant ones.

10. Jalo

Jalo Guest

The big question is why? The world is already way overpopulated as is, gay people would help reduce overpopulation and if the couple wants kids, they can adopt a child from an orphanage, to which, those are overfilled enough as well.

11. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nothing would change. Someone pointed this out before me, but most people of that level of ignorance still deny climate change even when it's happening before their eyes. People still discriminate based on race. I'm trying not to point fingers, but here it is: most LGBT discrimination comes from religious people, and no matter what proof you give them, they'll just turn back towards their damn bibles as "justification" for their bigotry.

12. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I never understood that either. Why must everyone procreate? It's only gonna bite us in the ass in the long run. I have much respect for all couples who would adopt a child from an orphanage. If it ever gets to the point where scientists are trying to find a "cure" for LGBT people, then I'd be in total shock and disappointed that society has stooped so low.

13. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I doubt many would even aknowledge this regardless. If the bible condemns it, people will go with what it says. Scientific proof or not.

14. Closet Shut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have to correct you on the genetic part, if it's genetic ..that means it's been passed down, I don't think there's anything proving that at the moment.

15. guitar

Sexual orientation, as far as we know, is not genetic. But they do think it has to do with the amount of something like estrogen within the mother's womb.

Twins are something like 50% likely to be gay if the other one is, so surely that proves homosexuality is something one is "born" with, even if we don't quite know exactly why. At least it proves it's not a random choice one makes.

16. CyanChachki

I don't know. It's very hard to say. I think that the arguments between the LGBTQ+ community and the Anti Gay would probably get more heated but that's probably about it. Personally speaking, I wouldn't believe them. I wouldn't look at myself in a mirror and say " Hm I guess I am straight.." and I'm sure a lot of other people would feel the same way.

Genetically speaking, it's like Guitar said, as far as we know, it's not genetic. I think that there could possibly be some kind of genetic aspect to it but really there's no argument. I mean, there's just no way that it would fly, even if it was somehow "proven". I mean, we're talking about the same people who thought that hiccups where a primitive sign that was no longer needed (but for whatever reason, we still had them) so.. they've been wrong loads of times.

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not really in dispute -- except in the same way climate change is in dispute... there are always ignorant assholes who can't be bothered with trivia like science -- that sexual orientation is fixed either before birth or very early in life.

Most of those who refuse to believe it are either ignorant, in denial, fearing of their own homosexual tendencies, or all three. And even finding a gene or epigenetic factor that's conclusive won't shut up those asshats.

What I do think will happen eventually is that most of the ignorant people will die off and younger generations will simply accept it, in much the same way that, for the most part, racism -- though it still exists -- is in no way socially acceptable any more.

18. MetalRice

Those who are ignorant will remain ignorant.

19. crazydiamond

I hate to sound like a jerk, but the people who think that homosexuality is a sin are usually the type of people that don't take scientific evidence into account when they form opinions, or rather, pass judgement on everyone else but themselves.

20. Lipstick Leuger

It will be 'alcoholics have that gene hardwired into them, they don't have to drink" type of thinking. I doubt it will be like a book I read called 'The Meadowlark Sings' where they can test at birth for the gay gene and after everyone was tested people are sent to another island to live among other gay people. The babies are tested as birth and sent to live with the same sex parents as they are, so gay shave children. The straight people have part of America. The gay island is crime free, and they have the most creativity such as clothing, makeup and arcitechture, etc . The straight America is rife with crime, has virtually no type of creativity and lacks the finer things.