1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Guerrilla Girls

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by KaySee, Oct 5, 2015.

1. KaySee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At first I thought this was going to be some stupid anti-male campaign. But I am impressed. I went to see them speak, and it was amazing. Weird and I saw some people ushering their children out when they got to the "History of Hysteria" part. But all in all, it was great. These people are inspiring, working to help women and minorities in the art world.

Look around the website. It is worth it. Main: GUERRILLAGIRLS: Fighting discrimination with facts, humor and fake fur

The Guerr*illa Girls are feminist masked avengers in the tradition of anonymous do-gooders like Robin Hood, Wonder Woman and Batman. Over 50 women have been members over the years, some for weeks, some for decades.

They use facts, humor and outrageous visuals to expose discrimination and corruption in politics, art, film, and pop culture. They undermine the idea of a mainstream narrative by revealing the understory, the subtext, the overlooked, and the downright unfair. Over the past 30 years they have reinvented the f-word ‘feminism’ in more than a hundred posters, street projects, actions, books, and billboards.

They’ve unveiled anti-film industry billboards in Hollywood just in time for the Oscars, dissed the Museum of Modern Art in New York at its own Feminist Futures Symposium, and created large scale projects for the Venice Biennale; the Centre Pompidou, Paris; Istanbul; Mexico City; London; Athens; Rotterdam; Bilbao; Sarajevo; Shanghai; Ireland; Krakow and Montreal. T

hey are authors of street projects, stickers, billboards, posters, and several books including The Guerrilla Girls' Bedside Companion to the History of Western Art; Bitches, Bimbos and Ballbreakers: The Guerrilla Girls' Guide to Female Stereotypes; The Guerrilla Girls' Art Museum Activity Book; and The Guerrilla Girls' Hysterical Herstory of Hysteria and How it Was Cured, from Ancient times Until Now. Most recently they did a stealth sticker campaign in New York about the super rich hijacking art, and a billboard in Reykjavík, Iceland, about discrimination in the Icelandic film industry. Their retrospectives in Bilbao and Madrid have attracted thousands.

They travel the world doing gigs and workshops, collaborating with others who want to create their own activist campaigns. Just in the last few years, they have been in the UK, France, Australia, Brazil, Spain, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Switzerland, Poland, Ireland, Iceland and Canada, as well as all over the United States.

Next up: street and museum projects all over Minneapolis in the “Guerrilla Girls Twin Cities Takeover” in 2016.

2. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

I first found out about them when I was doing my art project and I thought they were great.

3. KaySee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They are.