1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To all new members--This is the reason Y EC is so strict.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SonicBoom, Oct 6, 2015.

1. SonicBoom

When I first signed up to EC and started posting, I was shocked at how strict EC was.

I felt like my civil liberties was taken away by the fact that I couldn't send private messages.

I did my level best to follow the CoC , but I felt that they were ridiculous ,honestly.

It took me around three months to figure out why EC has to be as strict as they are.

It also took me to few months to get a "feel" of what is allowed here and what is not and the reasons why.

Once, I figured out why EC has to be as strict as it is, I accepted it.

Now, I love the fact that EC is relatively free of trolls, flamers, baiters and other disruptive types.

So, if you are new these are the reasons why EC is so strict.

I shared this in another thread but I would like to re share here.

"Kudos to the staff for keeping this place as troll free as possible.

This place is moderated more strictly that other forums, by necessity , because children have to protected from predators.

The mods, by necessity, have to keep a watchful eye on everything going on here.

Also, the mods are quite strict on enforcing the CoC by necessity.

Also, many members here pitch in to help moderators and staff by reporting potentially suspicious activity and or CoC violators.

There are just as many trolls, baiters , flamers and other disruptive types of people here as there are in any other forums.

The difference here on EC is the trolls, baiters, flamers and other disruptive types are reluctant and afraid to act out because they know people here will report them and they will be swiftly and fairly dealt with.

Traffic situations are good analogy of what is going on in EC versus other forums.

EC is like a very well policed street with staff basically on duty 24 seven.

Like drivers knowing that a street is very well policed, disruptive EC members are reluctant and afraid to act out.

To further my traffic situation analogy and how it pertains to forum styles of moderation.

Some streets, like some forums, aren't policed at all.

Some streets are more tightly policed than others with every possible in between situation imaginable.

To paraphrase my super long rant.

If all drivers on a certain street knows that there are always traffic cops watching, they will be on their best behavior. "

2. SonicBoom

I took a while for me to realize that the reason why I can't do this and I couldn't do that was to thrawt potential predators and not to further complicate my life for no reason.

#2 SonicBoom, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  3. ScatteredEarth

I think you made a good point, but I don't think you've gotten the full picture quite there. Yes, there's the whole 13-17 group of people that should be and are protected from people out to prey on them, however, the purpose of this site isn't just for the children, but for people of all ages to be around, learn, and interact with people who have been, or are going through the issues and overall motions of being in the LGBT minority or learning to understand and/or support those who are.

Because of this type of website, it's very vulnerable to people who want to hurt people here. The rules and regulations here are there to protect not just the young ones, but those of all ages as well. And for the most part, it's worked famously. We have built a community of people who can not only get along with each other, but challenge each other and debate with each other in a non-hostile way. This is all thanks in part to not only our staff, but our community as well.

4. SonicBoom

I know that EC's security measures and EC strictness gets quite a few complaints, I think , primarily from the newer members who don't really know yet what is going on here.

I just want the newer members to know that there are very very good reasons as to why

1) You cant do this

2) You cant do that.

Yeah, Yeah!

5. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If forums aren't policed there can be a lot of bullying

6. SonicBoom

I've been here since Jan of this year and I think no one ever really took the time to explain in detail why EC policies are the way they are.

I think every member has to kind of sort of figure this out for themselves.

When people don't truly understand why things have to be the way they are , it can lead to lots of resentment on the part of the members here.

#6 SonicBoom, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I think it is still a bit too strict but it's obviously something I have come to accept. Gosh, it has been so long, but I don't think it has always been this way.

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Are you a member of other forums? It takes some getting used to, but I feel more comfortable voicing personal problems here than on other sites.

9. SonicBoom

I've been a member of many different forums on every subject matter imaginable for the last 15 years (under different use names of course. )I know what I talking about

#9 SonicBoom, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  10. Kinky

Kinky Guest

Agree. I don't have to like it, but I find it neccesary.

11. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is a disproportionate number of teenagers and vulnerable people of all ages on EC who are trying to deal with their problems. Without the strict rules there would be a lot more bulling and creepers preying on everyone. For an Internet site that tries to be a safe haven that would be a total no-no.

I find the measures to be adequate, my only concern is that EC doesn't use https for the obvious reasons. But, that takes knowledge and money, so it's a tradeoff.

12. Ryu

Ryu

I don't find that EC's particularly strict as such, it just has an amazing admin team.

13. Nikky DoUrden

As I understand it EC is a support forum and should be treated as such so even with all the restrictions, if one is looking for support, he can find it, and thats the important thing 0=)

14. SonicBoom

Personally, I would think it would be wise to have an Official EC explanation on why EC's security protocol and policies are the way they are.

Right now, every new member has to figure out for themselves and come to their own conclusions as to why EC is the way it is.

Unfortunately many newer members, myself included at one time , come to the premature conclusion that EC policy is just to aggravate members.

15. CyanChachki

I like that EC is really strict and I'm not just saying that. I haven't really dealt with any mean people here, no one has attacked me and I haven't seen it happening to others either and I think that's good. It's nice to be able to go to a place where people can share their opinions and be open without being attacked, bullied or harassed. It's more of a "I see why that's your opinion, I respect you for it but here's mine" and the conversation goes off like that.