1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What LGBT organization do you think is doing the most for the LGBT Community?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Stephan Ari, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Stephan Ari

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Human Rights Campaign

Easily my favorite. It veers a little too far to the left for my tastes, but otherwise it works tirelessly in the advocacy of LGBT issues. And the best thing is that it's winning. It decided back in the 1990's to take the "long approach" and begin laying down the groundwork of expanding LGBT rights through "behind the scenes" activism. Sure, sure, it has a public face, but it's most powerful tool has been reaching politicians in private and helping them "evolve".

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it's possible to make that distinction. A whole lot of organisations are doing different things for different demographics. I can't say that an organisation focusing on caring for homeless queer youth, for example, is doing more or less than one pushing for transgender workplace protection laws.

---------- Post added 8th Oct 2015 at 08:55 PM ----------

Also, Human Rights Campaign is apparently a white cis gay men's club with woman, people of colour, and trans people not given much input or respect. (source 1, 2)

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agree with Maddy. It also depends on where you are in the world. We have some organisations in the UK that do a lot to support and assist LGBT people, but you may not be aware of them in the US, Canada, Aus/NZ etc. Personally, I look towards organisations that support the whole community, rather than just part of it.

4. Jalo

Jalo Guest

I really like the "It Gets Better" campaign for pairing up with Doritos to create those awesome Rainbow Doritos. Creative.

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My local LGBT center and Equality Michigan have made the biggest difference in Southeast Michigan. Due to security reasons, I don't want to say the name of my center.

I have given to HRC but only for the equality bumper stickers(free), LGBT wristbands($5.50 each), and equality sunglasses(free with purchase over $10). It was a total $11. The work they do for non-discrimination ordinances is admirable. While the Advocate says junk about them, they post sensational stereotypical articles. I have subscribed (and am not renewing), so I am not talking out of my butt.

I am not saying HRC is perfect because they do little to nothing locally, but they are trying to lobby in D.C. for federal legislation. While the Advocate is quipping about a hotel owner on Fire Island giving to Ted Cruz, HRC is actually being a driving for anti-discrimination laws.

Oh, and the Advocate has 5-6 ads in each magazine for HIV meds. Way to continue the gay=AIDS stereotype. It also keeps HIV phobia alive for those gay/bi men who struggle with their hypochondriac tendencies for the disease. Hint: it's a lot more than you think. *Off my soapbox*

6. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Fairness Campaign has done a lot of great work here in Kentucky

7. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

At where I am, lots of work is being done by a number of organizations and communities but it's not making a notable progress.

It's something. Need more time for them to prosper.

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's impossible to give that distinction to just one group, as others have noted. Many groups have been crucial to advancing LGBTQ rights in different ways. I might say Gay Liberation, you might say HRC, someone else might say Advocate, someone else might say the Trevor Project. They're all important in their own ways, and none of them are perfect either.