1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When do you think gay marriage will be accepted by the vast majority in your country?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Oct 11, 2015.

?

When do you think gay marriage will be accepted by the vast majority in your country?

1. Before 2020

16 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. 2021-2025

14 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. 2026-2030

6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. 2031-2035

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  5. 2036-2040

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. 2041-2045

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 2045-2050

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. After 2050

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  9. Never

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  10. Other

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know that it's extremely unlikely that gay marriage will be supported by nearly everyone, especially in places like the Middle East. According to a poll earlier this year, interracial marriage is even still looked down upon by about 13% of the US population.

What I'm asking though is when do you personally believe gay marriage will be supported by the vast majority? I know that here in the US, roughly 60% of people support gay marriage, but there's still much debate and arguments being made from supporters and opponents about gay marriage. When do you think all that will die down and the clear majority will support gay marriage and anybody who opposes will be in the distinct minority? Let's say about 80% of your country's population.

2. MrSkittles

Re: When do you think gay marriage will be accepted by the vast majority in your coun

I think never. Even though it gets better by generation, the parents will still teach their children how bad it is even though it is not bad. There will always be people who disagree with gay marriage.

3. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Re: When do you think gay marriage will be accepted by the vast majority in your coun

American here. I voted before 2020. I mean, it's legal in all fifty states, and there's a huge ass LGBT movement going on here. Five years makes all of the difference.

4. guitar

I would say in Canada it already is.

5. Box

Box

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family

I think 75-85% in Sweden support same-sex marriage already, according to polls.

#5 Box, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  6. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Oh yeah, I totally forgot to take into account countries that already have a very high percentage that supports same-sex marriage lol.

7. SkyDiver

Yeah, I put other because I'm Canadian.

I live in the most conservative province of the country, and yet a provincial poll done in 2011 still showed that 72.1% of us support same-sex marriage.

8. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

I agree with the other Canucks. We've had marriage equality for so long, I think even some people that wouldn't've agreed 10 years ago have changed their minds by now.

9. flitterpad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

In my country I'm pretty sure that gay marriage is already supported by the majority of people. I'm not sure about vast majority, but most people seem to support it.

10. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

It won't happen unless religion either evolves or dies out. It's the honest truth

11. Distant Echo

Australia seems so far away from that right now. We shouldn't be, but we are.
    We have dinosaur politicians and idiots in the press, and they have far too much influence on the sheep.

12. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I think it already is here in NZ

13. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I agree that the vast majority of Canadians accept gay marriage. It isn't even an issue here in my opinion, not even in discussions with my more conservative Christian friends
    or with elderly people. Gay couples are respected as far as I can see and are part of the fabric of our society just as straight couples and singles are.

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Anywhere between 69% and 75% of Australians are in favour of same-sex marriage, depending on which poll you consult.

I don't think it'll be too far out. Same-sex marriage is in an unusually good way politically; we have a PM and an opposition leader in favour, which. Getting it over and done with for some reason seems to encourage opponents to come around to it, so I think if next year's proposed plebiscite passes and is ratified by the Federal Parliament, we'll probably get closer to 80% by 2020.

I shall probably regard those who sat on the fence on such an obvious issue as moral cowards, but I do think having marriage equality will result in higher support for it after just a few years.

I honestly think the weak response on gay parenthood is a slightly bigger problem; a smaller majority is in favour, and while I can't remember the exact figures, I know a lot of Australians are unconvinced that same-sex parenthood is equally beneficial or desirable.

15. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Before 2020 for sure! I have faith in my country! I truly believe Tony Abbott was just a roadblock for a short period of time.. Now that the rat faced asshole is out of a position of power we very well look like we have a better chance :icon_bigg xx

16. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

In Indonesia?
    Never
    ever

ever
    :tears::tears:

17. Ryu

Ryu

Well my first idea would be that at least 80% if the population are all ready gay-friendly, but after thinking about it I'd say most people will be by 2025. It's because of all the old people that are homophobic because 'it was better in their day'.

18. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

This! :grin:

19. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I think in the US, because of the way the religious right has gained enough control in politics, and education that it will be after 2050 that it's a vast majority; something tells me you'll have 25-30% who find it a sin, for decades.

20. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people

I'm not sure. I guess the majority of people isn't against it, but it's not exactly "accepted" either. Even if gay marriage is accepted by the vast majority, I think there will always be some kind of homophobia though.