1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is everyone really in therapy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Distant Echo, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Distant Echo

I keep on reading threads where people are talking about talking to their therapist or they are in counselling? Am I the odd one out?
    I've never considered it, even if it were available here, and I'm wondering. Am I the only one trying to go this alone?
    Oh and when I say it's not available here - small country town where the only service is through the local hospital and there is a huge waiting list even if I were willing to consider it - it's a pretty dodgy service here.

2. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not, people have told me to "get help", but no.

3. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not currently seeing a therapist, but I kind of can't afford one right now... Otherwise, it's sort of a requirement for transitioning if you want to go on hormones and get surgery... so at some point I need to see a therapist...

4. Eye Shine

I don't believe I need a therapist. You should truly know if you need one deep down. It sounds like you don't need one imo

5. Ryu

Ryu

I'm not, but I was...

6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I see a therapist semi-regularly, but only because my mind is just unstable to say the least. I don't imagine the majority of people will need to see one, and it will probably save them money too.

Of course, there's trans people too. In places like the United States there's silly laws that say you need to have a therapist recommend HRT for you to even start it. One of my best friends told me all about it. The laws here are ridiculous in general, though.
    Did you know, that in my state it's illegal to carry a loaded ice cream cone in your back pocket, on Sunday?

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Almost anyone can benefit from therapy. Particularly LGBT people, all of whom have some level of internalized shame and homophobia thanks to media, organized religion, and bigotry.

And, increasingly, there are lots of options. Many therapists do Skype sessions. Others see people at remote locations one day a week. Almost anywhere you are, there are resources available to you.

8. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Counseling via Skype has become a lot more common recently. It may not be quite the same as seeing a therapist face-to-face, but I'm willing to bet that it can be just as beneficial.

EDIT: If my WiFi connection wasn't so slow and unreliable, I would've known that Chip already said the same thing.

#8 BobObob, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  9. RainDreamer

If you are not comfortable going to a therapist, then maybe you shouldn't. Going to talk with some stranger about all your deepest thoughts and feelings and make yourself vulnerable is a daunting challenge, and if you don't think you are up for it yet (but be honest!) then don't go, as that won't do any good.

However, I think you should still find a therapist that you are comfortable with. They can be a source of great advices and insight, and can be a great friend once you had a good relationship going on.

10. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    IMHO, I think that being uncomfortable with vulnerability would be a reason to go to therapy.

11. Distant Echo

Lol no chance of finding a good counsellor locally. If i was classed as youth, i might have a chance, but no...As for Skype. Large chunks of Australia have crappy internet. I live in one of those chunks. I don't even attempt to Skype. And even if I could...money? None to spare on me.

12. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Therapy, huh, sounds like a waste of time to me. My problem with it is that there's nothing in the world that can convince me that this guy who does this for his job every day, with 27 other different people besides me, that I am literally paying for his trouble, actually cares about my problems. You see no matter how professional or even helpful your advice may be it can't hope to substitute for a real emotional connection with a close friend no matter what. When I experience a Problem I don't just want to hear solutions for that problem which is what a Therapist will give you, I want to see that someone cares about me, and what I'm going through, and understand I'm not alone, and not just because I paid them, damnit! A therapists words can only be helpful if you take the initiative to apply them in your life anyway, and I already know I can do that on my own just fine, with a little help from some friends.

13. Foz

Foz Guest

Sure everyone can benefit from therapy but an hour of therapy costs the same as a tank of petrol and noting makes me happier than my right foot :lol:

Also there's the Traeger method -

[​IMG]

14. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have my appointment this Saturday........

but not sure how much longer I will go; I seem to be running out of things to discuss.

15. YinYang

I'm not in therapy, but I was for a few months. That was before I figured out I am LGBT, though. I am reconsidering it, but I don't think I'll need it the way I needed it before.

16. waternation

waternation Guest

Nope. I've never been to therapy or counselling. Unless you count relationship counselling I guess which was for me the biggest waste of time -___- I don't think I would for issues about my sexuality... But I think it's a good service that's available to a lot of people, especially when those who are around them aren't supportive.

17. GayBoyBG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've had problems, but was raised to deal with them on my own. I've never even considered going to therapy.
    Just not my thing, I guess ~

18. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was, a few years ago; not for LGBT stuff, but for anger issues.

Long story short, it didn't work. Now I won't bother with it; all it does is waste my time. But if therapy of any kind works for someone else, more power to you.

#18 ThatBorussenGuy, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  19. Acuba403

I go for my first time on Thursday.

20. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    EC is my therapy