1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on parents getting hurt/hurting themselves because their kids are LGBT.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Burnedcloset, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Burnedcloset

So, as a gypsy person I hear a lot of stories about other gypsy family gossip. I heard a story about a father trying to commit suicide based on the fact that his son came out as gay.

And When I was talking to my neiece about how i would react positively if she came out to me as LGBT+ (Long story on how that converasation was started). She said that if her child came out as Trans, she would kill herself after shooting her child.

Then she said "you know your dad would get a heart attack if you were gay. And your mom would for sure kill herself."

What do you think causes this type of thinking? Do you think people actually do this? Should I worry about other people hurting themselves based on my coming out?

#1 Burnedcloset, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  2. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It definitely happens, but it's their foolishness, so no need to worry.

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The tainted mind is a dangerous place. I'd advise you to be careful around such people...
    Of course, since you only have one chance at life and as such it's best to take precaution and really think this through. Sort of study how individual family members react to the topic before making a move, but try to avoid starting the topic yourself, or making anything too obvious. If they're that homophobic it's okay to pretend to be hateful if it means protecting lives. Some may be okay to come out to, others not so much... One may simply not understand, while another might have a psycho reaction like your niece for example.

Just be safe, that's the only thing I know...

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ultimately, no one is responsible for anyone else's health or well being. If someone chooses to allow news to upset or agitate them, that's their issue.

When it comes to being authentic with your sexual orientation, nobody needs to, nor should they, restrict who they are for the benefit of someone else.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really sure why people would think that way. I feel like they must have some sort of mental problem. It's understandable for parents to be a little unhappy with the revelation, for a variety of reasons -- lack biological grandkids, worrying about what society will think of them, and worrying about their child's safety and mental health (may get bullied, etc) -- however, killing oneself or their child is pretty screwed up.... most people would get over it eventually or at least not go to those extremes. It must be a weird cultural thing, it sounds like.

6. timo

I think it's quite sad that they can't accept their child the way they are, and don't think they deserve some happiness too. And if that goes so far that parents hurt themselves... it's their loss, really. Nobody should feel like a lesser person because their relatives are ignorant.

This is very well said. It's going on my collection of quotes-on-sticky-notes.