1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many therapists have you seen in your life?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Oct 13, 2015.

?

How many therapists have you seen in your life?

1. None

24 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. One

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. 2

11 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. 3

9 vote(s)
    12.9%
  5. 4-5

11 vote(s)
    15.7%
  6. 6-10

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. 11-20

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. more than 20

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    An odd question, but one that came to mind from the other therapy thread. I think I have honestly lost count.

Let me try to remember:

In High-school, I saw my first one, a lady in Grand Rapids whom I liked, though it was a long drive down to see her.

Then, in college, I saw this guy only one time, who thought that being gay might just be a passing phase, and seemed like he walked out of Donna Reed, or the 1950s.

Then, I started to drive to Grand Rapids, to see the other lady again.

Later in college, I started to see this bearded fellow, and he seemed good, but not all that warm, when I look back.

Then, with no insurance, for many years, I didn't see anyone for quite some time...

Next, came a woman who looked like Joyce Carol Oates...she was nice, though distant...saw her for a few years. Had some good insights that stuck with me.

Then there was the $5 psychology lady at this horrible place called Chase-Brexton, which is this place that tries to help the uninsured and LBGT community, but it's a very judgmental place; it was almost like I just kept going in order to frustrate her. Cold, cognitive approach.

Then came a job, with insurance, and I saw this actual psychiatrist; sort of a hippy sort, with an office in a high-rise building, downtown, nice guy, but his schedule didn't fit mine, so I only went a few times.

Next came a Jungian therapist who I very much liked, and looked forward to going to with great enthusiasm...had an amazing office, full of art and antiques, plants, a fireplace...he moved to BC, Canada, and I miss him.

Then I saw this Jungian Lady who was really mean. I had broken down and cried on the first visit, and she told me I needed medical help, l and was beyond her sort of thing...that was a weird session.

After that came a few years with a psychoanalytic oriented sort, who had very keen insights; he very much pinpointed the things beneath the surface, or rather the demons I was wresting with. He retired, and I miss him.

Next, I saw a lady on campus, free to staff, but that was limited to 6 visits. She was nice, but in 6 visits, not much happened.

Then I saw this lady who was all about motion therapy, and I did learn how to deal with or at least recognize certain sensory processing issues I've had.

Next came my current guy, who I really like. He's the first one I was able to talk to about certain things, like childhood abuse, and things I tend not to talk about here...I got in a car accident so I had to stop seeing him, as I had no way out there for about 4 months, but now, he had an opening on Saturday, so I've been taking a bus out, the past few weeks, and it's been helpful.

Then, there's a good number I'm missing; the pill prescribing ones that don't really talk much, maybe 6 of those? And maybe a few I'm forgetting?

So I'd say more than 20.

Has it helped?????

Well, I'm still here, so I guess in ways, yes...and there times I felt fine, and didn't see one at all. But it seems like almost all my life, I have, more or less, and I wonder if this is strange, to always be this moody, and feel so in need of somebody to try and help me figure things out in life, and not be sad and hopeless.

#1 HuskyPup, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  2. Jellal

I saw 2. One for gender counseling and one when I was younger because of antisocial behavior

3. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Well, I've only regularly gone to a therapist twice, but I did "try out" another.

I went therapy for about 3 or so months when I was 10 to overcome my fear of thunder storms, did not work by the way. I went to another therapist when about two years ago, but I didn't like her. Then I found a therapist I did like and saw her for almost two years.

So, I guess three.

4. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Five.. and I'm not even graduated yet... sigh

5. YinYang

One, but I could possibly see more later on in life. Don't know yet. Did she help? Meh. A little, but not really all that much.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's see...

There was the one who died in a car accident shortly after my first visit, the one that showed me the "Where Did I Come From" sex ed video that was narrated by Howie Mandel when I was 11, there was the one who was a judgmental asshole, another that wanted to give me a completely different diagnosis, the one I saw for almost 4 years and never got anything out of it, the one that had no idea how to help me, the one that was intimidated by my personality, the one who repeated I said everything back to me, and then my current one who I'm only seeing because I have to be seeing a therapist to get my prescriptions.

So 9 therapists. Two more and we'd have a football team!

7. AKTodd

None.

Todd

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Phew, I feel much less alone now. And at this pace, given your age, you may well beat me! :slight_smile:

One thing I've discovered is that I have a much harder time opening up to and trusting female therapists. It feels like they are somehow judging me, and (to me, and in no way as any kind of general fact) are more distant, clinical, and colder. Part of this is no doubt based on my own background; my mother, no doubt, as oddly Freduian as that sounds, and other key female figures from the past, being projected into the present. Hard to explain.

I did have a period of about 7 years where I didn't see anyone, after college, and was pretty happy...probably the happiest years, looking back. Then, along came an early mid-life crisis that has never relented...

9. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HuskyPup, are you including therapists who lead group therapy sessions you attended or only therapists you have seen one-on-one?

For one-on-one therapy, I have seen 3 therapists, but two of them were very short. The first was a student counselor for 3 visits (because I saw him at the end of the year). The second was a priest/counselor for ~6 sessions during a semester, and the 3rd was a psychologist for about a dozen sessions spread over a school year.

One of the three times I attended group counseling, the psychologist/facilitator was our psychology professor. It was mandatory as part of a "Group Dynamics" psychology class I took during my undergrad education. Because of the unusual double relationship (professor-psychologist) she had with us, the professor only graded that part of the class on whether or not we attended and our journals. Grading us based on the session itself would've been an ethical problem.

The first 2 times I went to group counseling were concurrent with each other, and with seeing that priest/counselor.

10. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, I knew I was forgetting a few! Yes, there was one therapist I saw a few years ago who did both individual and group, and I went to a few group sessions...maybe 6 people in each? They were kinda odd, though, in that many of my struggles related to not making enough money to really get by and having jobs with not much meaning, and they tended to be pretty well off, and with jobs they liked...so i felt sorta distant, or maybe like I had slipped into some lower class, so it felt awkward.

But it is something I might try again, maybe with a more focused group, such as 'Angsty gen-x English majors' :slight_smile:

#10 HuskyPup, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    None but that may change.

12. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yee! Thinking maybe I could use one of the free ones on campus :/

13. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A couple of people have recommended that I see one, but I have neither the time, nor the sharing capabilities required for such a thing.

I do wonder how therapy sessions really go down though, and how far the reality deviates from my perception.

14. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Two, and I'm starting sessions with a third soon.

15. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Six and I would never go again. I don't remember very many because most of them I saw between the ages of 9 and 10 but the most recent one was when I wanted to kill myself like 2 years ago and she did nothing. I remember one of my old therapists tried to get me on anti depressants when I was like 9. Can't believe I was smart enough to turn them down.

16. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't need any.

17. Ryu

Ryu

Unos.
    Didn't like it.

18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

As stated in an earlier thread:

1988-early half 1989. He was a psychologist who attended a church where my mother and I went when we went to church. Reason was my family breakdown. I started seeing him shortly after my father left, and it ended about the time the divorce was final.

He didn't do a whole lot of good. Although the plug was probably pulled more for financial reasons (i.e. insurance ended).

Disaster caused by him: he pushed me into teaching Sunday School. Coincidentally, he was Assistant Superidendent of the program, and they were always short of fools teachers. I was not a very good teacher, and was basically fired right around the time the first quarter ended. That left scars.

Was a counselor of some sort. I saw him around 2000 at the urging of my father. He didn't really do much good, either. After 4 visits, my father was shocked I was still going--I guess I was supposed to be fixed by then. I pulled the plug--it was getting expensive ($60/week/out of pocket.) He insisted on seeing me one more time so that he could give me material to work with, which turned out to be nothing more than the title of a self help book I could have found with a fast library catalog search.

Other memory: he was claiming I was looking at least at a year of his service. Maybe he was being honest, based on what he saw. Maybe he had boat payments to make.

#3????

I have contemplated therapy again, mainly due to EC and some stories about people who've had good luck. But I get overwhelmed with trying to find someone who might actually do some good, and is willing to work with someone who has financially at the level of white trash. Allegedly, there could be insurance coverage (thanks ACA!), but the choices are limited with the company I have. And I have a suspicion they'd push other options. "Depressed? Go on Prozac for life! It's cheaper for us!"​

19. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Two, Didn't like the first one, Love the one I see now.

20. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One from age 12-18. She was a little judgmental. My family were angry at her after she failed to notice that I had a more severe illness than bipolar disorder.
    One as a young adult. I don't remember her much.
    The third from age 21 to now. I love her; I can tell her anything and she doesn't judge. The few times she strongly disagrees with me, I know I am probably wrong because she so rarely acts contrary.